Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 - wrong center calibration

Last year my first Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 wheel would't calibrate anymore at all and was out of warranty. Fanatec offered me to buy a brand new Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 wheel for a discount, but without warranty. Since I was really pleased with the feel of this wheel in Project Cars I bought this wheel from Fanatec.

In the last 9 months I think I have used this wheel for a total of about 10 hours. This weekend I had set up my rig again (hadn't used it in a while), but after two hours the wheel suddenly was 180 degrees off center to the right. In game it looked like it was going straight, but the wheel was like I said 180 degrees to the right. And now it calibrates also like that when I turn it off and on :(

When it start to calibrate, it goes right and left and suddenly 180 degrees to the right which it thinks that is the center.

Is there any way I can fix this or is it the same problem as my previous wheel? Please help.

I can add a video if wanted. If so let me know.

Comments

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Did you try doing a fresh center calibration of the wheel and calibrate in game as well? Also what driver/firmware are you using ?
  • Sounds very much like a broken codewheel sensor. You might be able to buy a new one from Fanatec, but you'll have to replace it yourself (not difficult, most fiddling will be with opening the wheel base).
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Learn something new every day. Thanks Remco. Never thought about a codewheel sensor.
  • Thanks for the replies.

I'm gonna try to do a fresh center calibration tonight, like this I suppose from the manual:

Wheel Center

1. Bring the wheel into PC mode and turn it to its center position, then press and hold L3 Button and R3 Button at the same time.
    3. Press Base Button.
    4. Release all three buttons. 

The installed driver is the latest version which was available, I think v2.61. Firmware I don't know, not sure which version it shipped with, but I could check and/or install 756 anyway.

About the codewheel sensor, installing wouldn't be a problem, but how would I get one from Fanatec? Or do they respond to me after reading this forum?
  • You'll have to contact them through the website.
  • Well, I managed to manually do a center calibration. But it took a few tries since a lot of times after doing the center calibration the wheel would fully turn left or right. Had to do it several times and turning it off and on again. Until I found a position which the wheel remembered, even after being turned off and on. After that I was able to drive for an hour without problems.

Also the installed driver was v2.61 and the installed firmware was already 756.