Shifting issues in iRacing

I have a CSL Elite with the V3 pedals and the Clubsport shifter. On any track when I am driving the Global MX5, I have a problem of missed shifts. It only happens in that car. From 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th. The engine over-revs and sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times to get it to shift. It never happens on down shifts. I am not that fast but this isn't helping. Any ideas?

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Bruce,

If the individual gears are properly detected in the iRacing menu, then it is not a hardware issue.

What you're experiencing could just be the characteristics of iRacing's shift simulation. If you rush the timing of the shift, it might not allow you to engage the gear. It is also common for the gear to not engage again immediately after this. You have to unload the transmission before it will allow the gear to engage.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• I had the same problem.

But mostly when I wanted to shift from 4th to 5th.

Indeed I found that it was more related to how iRacing does the simulation of the gearbox. Because you don't have any feedback/feel like in a real car it took some time to get used to it. So it was more in terms of practice to synchronize the shifts and clutch presses. If you are to late with the clutch a miss shift. If you were to fast with already releasing the clutch also a miss shift.

• I calibrate by 1.5 shifter in the properties icon, go to iracing and I can go from 3 to 5 laps then it starts to randomly select the wrong gear. I did the tape fix, one of the boards had tape the other did now so both have the tape.

Iracing has been working with me but they think it is a hardware issue. Game is essentially worthless to me. Tried PC2 and it does not even recognize the wheel/shifter or pedals even though I have them selected in the game. Most likely will uninstall PC2 and chalk up the lost money to a bad experience.

Anybody having similar issues in iracing though with the random gear selections?

thanks

mc

• I can’t remember the exact setting, but in the steam properties there’s an option to allow steam to configure the controller. Make sure it’s off

• I have found that short calibrating the clutch helps.

iRacing seems to require 100% clutch on upshifts (I drive SRF), so calibrating the clutch to achieve 100% clutch with 50% pedal movement means that my missed upshifts have almost disappeared.