Constant in game crashing F1 2019

I just recently purchased the DD1 PS4 edition for PC. Love the product but have been running into a multitude of in game crashes.

I created a table of all of the settings I tried and their results. Ultimately, NOTHING works and I can't get in touch with Fanatec for assistance. I have tried NVIDIA's latest drivers, as well as 2-3 versions ago with this entire setup below. I've spent 2.5 days solid going through scenarios.

Tried:

exe rename to force DirectX11, nope still crashes

'-safemode`, nope still crashes

Driver - DirectX - Mode - Wheel Base - Wheel Base Motor - Steering Wheel - Result

335 - DX12 - PC- 653 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

335 - DX12 - PC 2.5 - 653 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

335 - DX11 - PC 2.5 - 653 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

335 - DX11 - PC - 653 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

335 - DX12 - PC- 669 - 30 - 27 - fan blasted at 100%, no steering

335 - DX12 - PC 2.5 - 669 - 30 - 27 - fan blasted at 100%, no steering

335 - DX11 - PC 2.5 - 669 - 30 - 27 - fan blasted at 100%, no steering

335 - DX11 - PC - 669 - 30 - 27 - fan blasted at 100%, no steering

335 - DX12 - PC- 669 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

335 - DX12 - PC 2.5 - 669 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

335 - DX11 - PC 2.5 - 669 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

335 - DX11 - PC - 669 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

346 - DX12 - PC- 653 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

346 - DX12 - PC 2.5 - 653 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

346 - DX11 - PC 2.5 - 653 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

346 - DX11 - PC - 653 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

346 - DX12 - PC- 662 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

346 - DX12 - PC 2.5 - 662 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

346 - DX11 - PC 2.5 - 662 - 30 - 27 - in game crash

346 - DX11 - PC - 662- 30 - 27 - in game crash

346 - DX12 - PC- 653 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

346 - DX12 - PC 2.5 - 653 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

346 - DX11 - PC 2.5 - 653 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

346 - DX11 - PC - 653 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

352 - DX12 - PC- 662 - 30 - 28 - violent FFB oscillations at max torque

352 - DX12 - PC 2.5 - 662 - 30 - 28 - violent FFB oscillations at max torque

352 - DX11 - PC 2.5 - 662 - 30 - 28 - violent FFB oscillations at max torque

352 - DX11 - PC - 662 - 30 - 28 - didn't bother to run this one

352 - DX12 - PC- 669- 30 - 28 - fan 100%, no steering

352 - DX12 - PC 2.5 - 669- 30 - 28 - in game crash

352 - DX11 - PC 2.5 - 669- 30 - 28 - in game crash

352 - DX11 - PC - 669 - 30 - 28 - in game crash

Basically, I have tried every combination possible, including leaving later firmware not originally available to previous drivers. Absolutely nothing works. I can't play longer than 1-2 laps at any circuit.

NOTE: The game ran flawlessly 10 days ago on a Logitech G29 which I sold to a family member due to this upgrade.

Any assistance would help, TIA.

Comments

• That's tragedy... I am sorry to hear that. I bought F1 2019 in steam and I have not try it with my dd f1. I will try it and tell you if I meet same issue.

• Literally the only change was the dd1 then , bam! It would be really nice to a le yo get in touch with fanatec but that's impossible at the moment. I can't even leave a voicemail with any department bc all mailboxes are completely full.

• Did you try contacting any of the tech team by PM in this website?

Maybe they can help you.

• Psql .Psql . Member

I have no problems at all with the DD1 and F1 2019 with v352 Base 669 and motor 38 and use the normal PC mode and not comp mode.

You are sure the DD1 is correctly updated? and firmware of the base and motor match the firmware within the driver? Looks like with 669 firmware you are still using the old motor firmware. I think there you need to use motor fw 38 and not 30.

You also correctly calibrate the motor etc after firmware updates?

Better not try to much drivers and just pick one like v346 or the newer v352 and try to get one driver working. With switching a lot between different drivers is mostly the problem in these kind of situations. Especially if you don't correctly update all firmware with the newer versions or if you go back you can forget to downgrade the firmware of the base and motor etc. Looks like now also your motor firmware doesn't match the driver.

• Quick question.

How do you downgrade?

Been reading a lot but seems I cant find how to do it. 😇

• Psql .Psql . Member

On the update tab click on the "update base", "update motor" or "update wheel" button. It will then say that you have a newer already installed but there just say to continue and it will load the firmware available in the driver you have installed.

Also always prevent that you have multiple Fanatec driver versions installed. During changing drivers also best to do reboots in between before you install a new driver.

• edited May 2020

so everytime you upload the driver the old doesn't get deleted automatically?

How you can delete it manually?

• Psql .Psql . Member

You can remove a driver like you would also do when you want to remove an application in Windows. Go to apps & features and search for the Fanatec driver and there deinstall it. Reboot and then install the driver you want to install.

• Ok. Thanks a lot Pasqual.

• Newbie to Windows here. When you say "Go to apps & features and search for the Fanatec driver and there deinstall it", how do you actually deinstall it? Is there a deinstaller, drag it or a folder to the trash or what?

• Psql .Psql . Member

When you find the driver within the "Apps & features" list and you click on the app in the list you will get one or multiple buttons. One of them is "Uninstall", you just click it wait and when done reboot the system and install the new driver.

• Jason NeeleyJason Neeley Member
    edited May 2020

I tried calling the numbers listed on the website. I didn't realize I could reach techs through here. Could anyone tag one or two of them on this thread?

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Jason,

It looks like you sent a message to our general contact form but you haven't opened a support ticket. Technical questions sent through the general form or to sales do get manually routed to the support team, but it adds an extra delay to the process. You can open a support ticket by clicking 'Support' at the top of the site, where you will be taken to the 'My Products' section of your account. You will see a 'Support' button next to each registered product - this begins the ticket process.

I encourage you to open a support ticket, but perhaps I can offer some suggestions in the meantime:

• did you uninstall the Logitech drivers? Sometimes the two sets of drivers cause a conflict.
    • are your pedals connected to the base (RJ12) and to the PC (USB)? Connecting both cables can cause problems, it should be one or the other.
    • Do you have any other games to test? If another game works without crashing, it is very unlikely to be a Fanatec issue. It is very unusual for an input device to cause game crashes.
    • It would also be helpful to test the hardware on another PC.
    • Using a different wheel on the base would also help with troubleshooting.

Dom

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Jason NeeleyJason Neeley Member
    edited May 2020

Dom,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to address each of your points.

• I have tried and tried (and tried) to submit a support ticket but the form catches me in a vicious loop saying there is a subject and message required, both of which I have filled out then deletes the entire message body. I've tried from my development machine, my mobile, and a laptop, all give the same error.
    • I did uninstall the Logitech drivers including a full system reboot.
    • I can test on another game but the F1 game is why I bought this flagship product.
    • I do not have another PC on which I can try this setup. In lieu of that, I have done a full reinstall of Windows 10 to ensure a squeaky clean environment.
    • The pedals are the 2 pedal CSL's connected using the supplied RJ12. The only USB connection is the DD1 to the PC. I have tried multiple USB ports on the PC as well.
    • In between each combination I listed above, I did a full system reboot and a reboot of the DD1.
    • I have tried both with and without the high torque key as well.
    • I do not have an additional wheel base. This is my first Fanatec product thus far.
    • I have also tried multiple NVIDIA drivers since there were reports of 445 causing people issues. I'm on 442.74 now since that seemed to be the recommended one on here.
  • Apologies for missing this. Yes, I have tried the exact combination you mentioned as well as everything on either side of it. I tried every combination possible! It's possible I missed a copy/paste in my original post but I definitely tried the latest. I received the message saying something that [paraphrasing], "you have the most updated, do you still want to run firmware upgrade".

Are you able to put your multifunction switches in any configuration with no problems? I'm grasping at straws at this point.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

I have heard of this support form loop before, but it's really odd that it should occur on three separate machines. I will PM you about this.

I understand that you really need the F1 game to work, but for troubleshooting purposes it would be a useful test to see if a different racing game is also exhibiting the same problem.

The multi-position switch mode should have no impact on game stability.

• PM sent with support form loop details. I will try another game tomorrow and report back.

What is the ideal firmware and NVIDIA driver combo Fanatec recommends?

@Pasqual Demmenie can you post your driver version firmware, NVIDIA, etc just so I can have a baseline to compare against?

• Update: Ok, brand spanking new install of Windows 10 64-bit. Installed only steam, 346 drivers, and F1 2019. Still consistently crashing in either DirectX mode.

🤬

• Psql .Psql . Member

I'm running a bit older version of the Nvidia drivers it's 441.66. I always run the game in DX12 mode and start the game via Steam. Game is also up to date.

Also have no problems with binding any of the buttons within the game. I've assigned almost all buttons to something also the one on the podium paddle module.

A small correction to my Fanatec drivers and firmware. I have 356 driver installed with base 670, motor 38 and wheel is 28. Before that have run some months with 352 and before that the 346 driver also without any issues. Maybe only had once a crash just after the release of the game but since then not really. Only a lot of connection issues or when other players are not joining and the game freezes when I want to go race online. But I have given up on online and only do career and time trails. Once in a while the online single player weekly events.

• Can you use Windows Event Viewer or any application logs to determine any error message or specific cause of the crash?

• I looked through it like crazy and didn't see anything that points to a culprit. I wasn't even able to find where the dump application which offers to send a report fires any events.

I did yet another fresh Win 10 installation and did the exact same setup as @Pasqual Demmenie and it crashed within 2 laps of the very first career challenge, within 2 laps of time trial, etc. I just doesn't matter what configuration I use, it crashes....constantly.

I also tried Assetto Corsa and it was unstable at best as well. It didn't crash as often but still crashed.

There is no possible remnants of the Logitech wheel left on my system since this is now a twice over fresh install. Just for kicks, I even tried Windows Server 2019, same results.

@Dominic Brennan, nothing from Fanatec support yet. Thanks for your help via PM.

Not a Fanatec product fan so far...

• I feel your pain Jason. Must be extremely frustrating.

• Thanks @David Smith

I'm seriously debating filing a dispute with my credit card company. I can't reach anyone other than one rep on this forum which in all honesty, isn't entirely fair to him. Their 14 day return is quickly approaching and I'm not getting stuck with a dud product.

I bought their halo $2k product and it has been problems from first plug in.

(323) 556-0774 listed on the credit card charge, disconnected

+1 (866) 292-6226 no department will answer. All voicemail boxes are full.

+49 (871) 9221-122 (Germany) no answer

Submitting a support ticket - webform error. Full disclosure, Dom is working behind the scenes on this. End result, time is ticking away.

Emailed regular sales which will undoubtedly be delayed bit with no other option, did it. No response yet.

Rant over, sorry fellas.

• I think they'll sort you out though. Just a matter of time. Hang in there.

• Ok, I've come up with some additional information. I've downloaded a few other games and noticed some very weird behavior. With F1 2018, I mapped all control since the Podium didn't have a default control scheme and the car looked like the throttle and brake were both applied constantly. I could keep the car moving by shifting down to 1st but then the game would crash. I disconnected the pedals (2 pedal CSL elite's) and tried using the paddles on the Clubsport V2 formula rim, instant crash! I fired up F1 2019 and tried with the pedals unplugged and using the paddles as throttle/brakes, again, virtually instant crashing. This was consistent across all drivers and firmware combinations.

I think it's time for a new unit.

• So after almost 3 weeks of troubleshooting, the culprit ended up being a change made in my system's BIOS which I was not aware of. I have 256GB 3200Mhz kit on a threadripper 3960X. The RAM was manually set to 3200 but the board in auto mode, liked it at 2133Mhz.

The key tidbit of information ended up being a BSOD with the error message, "unexpected kernel mode trap" when I simply opened Visual Studio. My system was rock solid except when gaming (I only currently play F1 titles). For some reason, the RAM was causing F1 2019, F1 2018 and Asseto Corsa to crash in numerous ways with no discernible pattern which could help in diagnosing the issue. When I was using the previous Logitech hardware, this change had not been made on my system.

This has been by far, the absolute weirdest computer problem I have ever encountered. Lesson learned, be a good system administrator protect my BIOS with a password, not simply all of the Windows user accounts, sigh... I think this is best possible outcome because I love the DD1 and really wanted to keep it if possible.

@Dominic Brennan, thank you so much for your help!!!

I will say, once the support ball finally got rolling, I have been pretty impressed.

• Well that settles that. I myself thought the probs you were getting really strange and not necessarily due to the Podium etc. Glad you got it sorted out so you can now continue to enjoy your racing. The info may come in useful to some who may experience similar issues sometime.

And yeah, the support guys at Fanatec can be very helpful once you get the ball rolling. Cheers.