Bizarre issue of CSL Pedals not working after LC Pedal even without LC Pedal

CSL Pedals were working fine for a few weeks.

Installed LC Pedal correctly, all 3 pedals working fine (at least I assume on clutch, didn't have a way to test but LC brake and throttle worked fine)

Removed LC Pedal to go back to CSL 2 Pedals

Now only the CSL Brake works, Throttle does nothing in PS5/GT7 or PC Fanatec Control Panel. Double checked all the connections and all correct. CSL Brake to Brake RJ12 on Throttle, Wheelbase RJ12 on Throttle to Wheelbase.

What makes it bizarre is that then I tried putting the LC Pedal back on to see if it would fix this and the result is:

LC Pedal works 100% PS5/Fanatec PC Control panel

But now neither the throttle or the CSL Brake (now clutch) work. So when LC Pedal is not attached, at least the old brake pedal works, but throttle pedal is dead, but when LC pedal is attached both old pedals show no response at all.

Also triple checked RJ12s when LC Pedal is in with Load Cell RJ12 going to Wheelbase/Loadcell input on Throttle, old CSL Brake going to Clutch on Throttle and tried both with USB from Load Cell pedal to PC Fanatec Pedal and with going RJ12 from Wheelbase on Load Cell pedal to Wheel base and then to game/PC.

Doesn't seem like a mechanical issue since the brake works or doesn't work depending on if the LC Pedal is attached, but throttle works in neither.

Seems like some sort of firmware short circuit or something going on so the CSL Pedals got out of sync. Is there a way to reset the firmware of the CSL pedals to old firmware?

But yeah, LC Pedal basically killed the CSL Pedals somehow it seems. Not sure if there's anything to do besides RMA. Any way that might fix it?

Comments

• David KarlinDavid Karlin Member
    edited March 2022

Bumping this with an update that now even without the load cell, neither throttle or brake pedal works (whereas before brake pedal worked but not throttle).

Photos showing no wires pinching or anything.

Connections on CSL Pedals (Brake -> Brake)

Wheelbase on throttle to Wheelbase/Pedal:

Fanatec control manager pedal screen neither pedal does anything and under firmware page it doesn't even show pedals as if it's not even detecting pedals are connected.

Can't think of anything left I can try to fix the pedals.

• Having the same issue. This is frustrating- fanatec support - where are you????

• I’ve seen this issue popping up recently and it seems to be with the DD pro and not DD for pc. I wonder if it’s some kind of wiring or electrical problem. My LC is coming next week for my CSL DD. I hope the best that you get this issue solved with Fanatec.

• I have the same problem. Was working fine until I plugged the load cell in now the throttle pedal doesn't work at all

• Just unboxed everything and hooked it up and have a similar issue. watching this thread.

• Is this happening to only the PS5 version of the CSL DD? Anyone with a PC to hook it up to to see if it works?

• The frustrating part is that it won't even register a signal when I have it plugged into my laptop and using the fanatec program.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi David,

The support team would ask you to test the following two configurations:

Without Load Cell:

Gas pedal to wheel base (Gas 'Wheel Base/Load Cell' port TO 'Pedals' port in the wheel base)

Brake pedal to Gas pedal (Brake RJ12 connector TO 'Brake' port in Gas pedal)

With Load Cell:

Load Cell pedal to wheel base (Load Cell 'Wheel Base' port TO 'Pedals' port in the wheel base)

Gas pedal to Load Cell pedal (Gas 'Wheel Base/Load Cell' port TO 'Load Cell' port in the Load Cell pedal)

Clutch to Gas pedal (Clutch RJ12 Connector TO 'Clutch' port in the Gas pedal)

(Also try connecting to the PC via USB, instead of RJ12 to the wheel base - do not connect both cables at the same time)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exVV8Quj3U

In many cases, customers are connecting the pedals incorrectly, for example connecting the Load Cell pedal to the brake port of the gas pedal.

If the steps are correct and you're still having an issue, then support will assist you further.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• I really think I had tried this layout, but will read through and try it again.

• As stated in another thread:

I would say that there is a fundamental issue caused by adding the LC pedal, as so many people seem to be reporting this or very similar issues!

As soon as I added mine, and changed the brake to be the clutch pedal, the now clutch pedal started jumping all over the place on the calibration screen then eventually completely stopped working.

It now refuses to work even if I reinstate it back as a brake pedal!

I'm hoping that a firmware update may be able to fix this as I can live with the issue for a while as I'm not using a clutch. Also am hoping I don't have to go through the ordeal of sending things back!

• David KarlinDavid Karlin Member
    edited March 2022

Hi, yes, you can see it in the photos I posted that it is wired exactly how you describe with the first situation when not using the LC Pedal.

I'm working with support, it's going ok, but the response time is very, very slow and still waiting for some RMA info to replace the pedals.

Since multiple people are having this same issue it does seem like may be a widespread bug/issue unfortunately like the above post says.

• I did retry the above pedal config as described by Dominic. Between the directions and the above instructions, I know that I'm hooking everything up correctly. I'm also really hoping that it can be fixed by some firmware update or somehow reverting back to a version that works. Sending some products back just sounds like a nightmare after how long many of us waited for our gear.

• Yeah, I agree. It does not seem hardware related at all, but some type of a software bug that a firmware should be able to fix. Assuming you can get the firmware update to the pedals. Since the CS Pedals on their own do not have any way to direct connect to a computer, only through the wheelbase and if the wheelbase stops being able to recognize the CS Pedals are connected I'm not sure how possible it would be to even update their firmware.

But at the end of the day, I've got CS Pedals that don't work at all and I'm just gonna RMA them. The issue seems to only pop up when interacting with the LC Pedal, and I've returned my LC Pedal, so if a replacement CS Pedals fixes it, I should at least be up and working again.

Now there is still a chance the issue is happening at the wheelbase level of recognizing the CS Pedals correctly, which in that case doing the whole RMA process with new pedals wouldn't fix it at all and then you have to RMA the whole wheelbase which would be even more a pain, so hopefully the issue of what's going on is with the CS pedal unit. But won't know that until they either release a firmware fix or I RMA the pedals and get a new set and try them.

• do anyone fix how to solve ?

• Same thing happened to me… once I installed the LC the accelerator doesn’t work. Tried to race with just csl pedals without LC like I had before and accelerator still doesn’t work but regular brakes still registering inputs. I put in a support ticket with Fanatec on Sunday and have not heard back from them yet… really hoping to get this situation solved because I can’t race on a controller after having my first taste with the wheel :(

• I have the same problem after 14 days of use. I try to open technical support but it does not attach files and therefore it does not send tickets. Can you tell me how to do it?

• I feel like they must be getting a lot of support tickets right now if this is pretty widespread. I haven't heard from support since Sunday myself.

Hi Marco,

It seems there might be a bug with attachments on the support ticket form at the moment, but the message itself should still go through.

• Is Fanatec going to acknowledge there is a widespread issue here? Are they going to expedite responses and replacements due to this apparent QA issue?

• how do i open technical support tickets? this morning from the chat indication to write mail: support @ fanatec but the address is wrong! from what I read it is a bug that has persisted for a long time

• I opened one by the using the my products section of the web site. You have to select the product then it will give you a list of issues. At the bottom it will have a 'No Solution Found' button. After clicking that button you should get a form to create a ticket.

https://fanatec.com/us-en/myproducts

• Don't waste your time trying to attach a video to a support ticket. It just won't work and you'll end up having to retype everything. I uploaded to YouTube and put the link in support ticket and put it on my post here in the forum.

Hi guys,

The attachment issue on the support form is fixed. I apologise for the inconvenience.

• Still nothing from Fanatec over here with the same LC issue as so many.. dead throttle.. everything else works.. Current drivers, wired correctly

• I have a similar problem in that my LC and acc pedals don't work when in a game, but they do work when connected to the PC via the supplied USB. I note that Fanatec in their U Tube video warn that you should not connect both a USB and RJ12 cable to the PC at the same time. When I connected my wheelbase to the PC with the sulpplied USB cablein order to get the firmware updates, I did have the pedals connected to the wheelbase via the supplied RJ12. Have I made a major error here that has caused my subsequent problem with the pedals?

• I ended up getting through support and sending mine back on Tuesday. Just got a shipping notification of a package arriving tomorrow which I assume are either fixed pedals or replacement pedals.

Going through support worked, but was just very slow in responding, likely due to so many people having issues. The only thing that was a bit annoying is since the pedals didn't come in a separate box, had to ship them back in the full DD Pro box and because I hadn't kept the original cardboard exterior the DD Pro came in (just the blue/white manufacturer's box) had to pay out of pocket to box it up before Fedex would take it under the pre-paid shipping label.

As long as the pedals I get tomorrow work again, all is well that ends well in the end. But this was definitely a pain in the butt experience and haven't been able to use the wheel for 2.5 weeks. Definitely makes me uninterested in upgrading my setup with more Fanatec parts in the future. Though I'm going to wager that for this LC Pedal issue they will figure out what's causing it and introduce a new firmware that fixes the issue. Who knows when that'll happen though.

• Hi Dave

Thanks for your response. Looks like I will probably have to go through the same sending back process. Like you, I disposed of the original outer box and will be reluctant to use the inner DD pro box which I would like to keep. I hope they will be refunding all your postage and shipping costs as that can be quite exensive. I will probably wrap them up carefully and send back in a smaller box. Did you have to send back both the two original pedals and the Load Cell pedal?

Lets hope your replacement pedals work and its not a wheel base or firmware issue. I still can't understand why the pedals all work on the set up screen when connected to the PC via the USB cable, but then they don't work when in a game played on the Playstation 5.

I paid over £1,000 for my Fanatec equipment (DD Pro, Load Cell, 8nm power supply and performance pedals) so I am feeling very frustrated that their quality control seems to be so bad with so many people complaining about this same issue. Like you, I will probably have to wait a couple of weeks for them to reply to my support request just to be told to send the pedals back! Not good customer service.

Good luck with your new pedals. I hope they work.

• Yeah, it definitely sucks. And they're paying the actually shipping costs for the repair RMA (pre-paid label) but I had to eat the cost of the packaging (was about $10 USD for me).

I returned the load cell pedal separately for a refund since I don't trust it to not cause issues with future pedals and I wasn't a big fan of their load cell pedal. If you refund you pay the shipping fees yourself. So combined was out about $25 USD.

Also I checked the Fedex tracking today to double check it's on its way today and....it looks like they gave the shipment info to Fedex that they were going to drop it off Friday for Saturday delivery but....it hasn't been actually dropped off so it's not coming today. Also it says 8lbs/3.63kgs. That seems light for the 2 pedals & pedal base & box? I mean they're not super heavy, I just hope they're sending the right thing back.

Will keep watching for it and hope everything works out. But yeah, not real happy with Fanatec's support. Like if this is a QA bug having to do with the CS Pedals and LC Pedal, it'd be nice if they told people that and that a fix was coming instead of just radio silence and slow RMAs...

• So an update on this, as I think I'm one of the first people with this issue that's gone through the whole RMA situation.

I just got my pedals back, they are the same pedals that I sent out in the same packaging and they've been repaired and now they work. Nothing has changed in the wiring or anything visible, but they did something internally that fixed the issue.

So whatever is going on with the load cell pedal and throttles/clutches, is something Fanatec knows how to quickly fix since they turned this around in like a day or so. Hopefully that means it's something they can update the pedal firmwares to avoid happening in the future and isn't something on the hardware design they'll need to adjust.