PS5 to PC spec. Help

Help needed. 

Currently using my PS5 for racing and been offered a PC for £700. The specs are below. Will this be ok or is it a backwards step from the PS5. 

Spec:

GPU: Rtx 2060super windforce OC 8gb

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

Motherboard: Auros b450

RAM: Hyperx predator 16gb 3200mhz

MEMORY: 250gb m.2 ssd/ 1tb HDD

CASE: Cooler master WITH 4x fans

Power supply: cooker master bronze 650w

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Michael,

Firstly I want to stress that we are platform-neutral at Fanatec, and each platform has its own advantages that should be celebrated. But I can try to offer some personal thoughts below:

Although the current consoles are more like PCs in terms of their architecture than previous generations, it is still difficult to make a direct comparison between PS5 and PC performance. There is still an advantage of developing for a single spec. While those PC specs are not that far away from PS5's raw numbers in some areas, I'm pretty sure that a PS5 would generally deliver better performance compared to that PC spec when running the same game (assuming you could set the PC version to the equivalent visual fidelity, e.g. resolution, detail and effects settings). The PS5 also has many advantages in terms of convenience and ease of use.

The PC offers different advantages by being a more open and flexible platform. In terms of performance, you always have many more options available to tweak, e.g. selecting between more supported resolutions and graphics settings. Some PS5 games have basic options like 'prioritise framerate' and 'prioritise resolution', but you can do this on PC with many more variables to achieve the balance you want. For instance I would prefer to hold a high framerate for sim racing and I am willing to sacrifice graphical details and effects to achieve that. You can also disable v-sync on a PC to achieve lower input lag, which is important for racing, and that option is never available on consoles. You'll often see people saying that the PC version of a sim feels better, and it's usually because of the higher framerate and lower latency.

Then when you look at what is available in terms of upgrades - triple screen, other peripherals, VR.... but then PSVR2 is also looking really promising.

And of course, there are a bunch of PC sims that are not available on console, e.g. Automobilista, iRacing, rFactor, RaceRoom, etc.

But then you have something like GT7, which is a unique experience in the racing genre and exclusive to PlayStation.

So there are many things to weigh up, depending on your priorities.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Apologies about the neutrality of platforms. I don’t want to say if one is better than the other. Some people get really upset by this and take it to heart. My main points which you have answered in great detail is trying to move into PC gaming. I love the experience with the PS5 but got the option of the said PC so I was looking at the alternatives to the PlayStation. I was wondering if the specs of the PC were acceptable for say

I Racing ACC

Thanks for the advice as it is greatly apreciatted👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• edited April 2022

I would have upgraded that GPU. Now I am a VERY picky person when it comes to graphics quality. But I would definitely upgrade that GPU to at least an RTX 3070 at a minimum. In my experience bad graphics ruin the whole immersion. At least for me it does, but like I said I am very picky on that subject. Might have to get a bigger powersupply just to be safe when upgrading the PC and adding more and stronger stuff.

Now for the CPU I cannot say because I dont know anything about AMD. I only run Intel myself. Dont know why lol, I just always have :)

The motherboard Auros. Never heard of it. I only run Asus on motherboards. Maybe I am a little wierd and OCD' like on this stuff :D But hey, at least my PC runs very well 🤷‍♂️