McLaren got useless

Every driver later than 311 makes my McLaren Wheel useless.
Symptoms: 
 - Missed shifts
 - Double Shifts
 - Left rotary phantom output spikes (often)
 - Right rotary phantom output spikes (random)

Well, I could live with Driver 311, but the F1-2019 wheel needs a higher driver version to get recognized!

These are the combinations I tested:

McLaren GT3
Driver Version Firmware Version Firmware Version PASS FAIL
311 640                   25      x
311 658           30   x
328 640 30 x
334 640 25 x
340 658 30 x

Comments

• CSL Elite Wheel Base PS4  + McLaren GT3

It's the same for Rocker switches (L2 / R2). They do not work with a version higher than V311.
    These are still important buttons, with basic functions, in all games.
    Can we hope to have a fix or know how to configure, to make these buttons, these functions, operational.
    It's quite incomprehensible and frustrating to buy a steering wheel to have more functions and end up with fewer functions than on a basic dinghy.
    I do not even talk about the rotational encoding buttons that are useless on PS4 games.
    It's really very very frustrating.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Every driver later than 311 makes my McLaren Wheel useless.
    Symptoms: 
     - Missed shifts
     - Double Shifts

Well, I could live with Driver 311, but the F1-2019 wheel needs a higher driver version to get recognized!

McLaren GT3
    311 658           30   x
    328 640 30 x
    334 640 25 x
    340 658 30 x

Hi Thorsten,

It sounds like there is a hardware issue with your wheel. Our firmware updates have improved the shifting behaviour of this product, so there is definitely something not right here. Please contact support.
  • Every driver later than 311 makes my McLaren Wheel useless.
    Symptoms: 
     - Missed shifts
     - Double Shifts

McLaren GT3
    311 658           30   x
    328 640 30 x
    334 640 25 x
    340 658 30 x

Hi Thorsten,

It sounds like there is a hardware issue with your wheel. Our firmware updates have improved the shifting behaviour of this product, so there is definitely something not right here. Please contact support.
    Already done, wheel arrived today 10:11 at your site in Landshut.
    Hope the repair will not take to long and the issue is than fixed once and for all.
  • Frank FishFrank Fish Member
    edited August 2019
    CSL Elite Wheel Base PS4  + McLaren GT3

It's the same for Rocker switches (L2 / R2). They do not work with a version higher than V311.
    These are still important buttons, with basic functions, in all games.
    Can we hope to have a fix or know how to configure, to make these buttons, these functions, operational.
    It's quite incomprehensible and frustrating to buy a steering wheel to have more functions and end up with fewer functions than on a basic dinghy.
    I do not even talk about the rotational encoding buttons that are useless on PS4 games.
    It's really very very frustrating.
    Agreed.  I had a bit of a debate with Fanatec support about this "firmware upgrade".  I find it wholly unacceptable that they've decided to break our McLaren rim's basic functionality simply because they want to match it to the Formula V2 type button pattern (this is what support told me)??  I don't care about the V2. I bought the McLaren rim.  I can understand wanting to standardize but they should not do that at the expense of products already in customers hands.  To go back and break something that was already working perfectly well is outrageous.  This is a product that has already been out and is not new.  I ended up having to downgrade my firmware back to 311 on the CSL Elite, which helped but only for a time.  Because now that I am on the DD1 I have the same issue again and I'm stuck with it.  The McLaren rim is now far less useful in many games because of missing two critically important buttons.  I bought a McLaren rim and expect it to at least work the way it was when I bought it.  I never expected that you guys would actually remove basic functionality from my product.  I lived with the original missing rotary encoders on PS4 because I knew that was the situation going in when buying it.  But now you've taken away the PlayStation buttons L2/R2?  The buttons don't even work in the PS4 home screen.  It's not a game developer issue.  The buttons don't work on the console OS any more, let alone any game.  This really is poor form from Fanatec in this instance.  I'm a big Fanatec products fan, but this is an awful anti-consumer decision.