McLaren GT3 downshift not working / going double

edited August 2019 in Steering Wheels
Today my McLaren GT3 wheel (3 months old!) started acting up. 
The left clutch pedal keeps giving a bit of signal after its used a few times and the downshift isn't registered consistently, and when it does register it sometimes downshifts twice.

Looking on the web (e.g. Reddit) the gearshift problem has been reported by a lot of people last year.

I have filed a ticket with support, and I am confident that it will be solved, but my question is the following:

What is the repair that's is being done when this problem occurs? Is it just a replace of parts broken with the same parts, or has Fanatec changed something to the affected parts so that the problem will not come back?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Today my McLaren GT3 wheel (3 months old!) started acting up. 
    The left clutch pedal keeps giving a bit of signal after its used a few times and the downshift isn't registered consistently, and when it does register it sometimes downshifts twice.

Looking on the web (e.g. Reddit) the gearshift problem has been reported by a lot of people last year.

I have filed a ticket with support, and I am confident that it will be solved, but my question is the following:

What is the repair that's is being done when this problem occurs? Is it just a replace of parts broken with the same parts, or has Fanatec changed something to the affected parts so that the problem will not come back?

Thanks in advance.
    There is more than one contributing factor that can result in miss-shifting on this wheel, but typically the repair involves some solder work on the PCBA. In some cases the entire PCBA is replaced. Either way, it is hardware adjustments that are being made to prevent the problem from returning.
  • Thanks for the explanation Dominic!

Now its just the wait until support responds ;)
  • Today my McLaren GT3 wheel (3 months old!) started acting up. 

Thanks in advance.
    There is more than one contributing factor that can result in miss-shifting on this wheel, but typically the repair involves some solder work on the PCBA. In some cases the entire PCBA is replaced. Either way, it is hardware adjustments that are being made to prevent the problem from returning.
    Sadly the repair work is not (at least not always) 100% successful. My wheel went back for the fix (actually was replaced for a fixed unit I believe) and although not nearly as bad I still have intermittent shifting issues. Fanatec were helpful and handled the process smoothly but I don't believe they have a reliable fix at this time which is why I am reluctant to return again - seems counterproductive to be without a wheel for a while just to get a replacement that will soon have the same issue. This seems to be a major issue with this wheel which is a shame as it is a great size nd great feel - just wish it was reliable.
  • edited August 2019
    Sadly the repair work is not (at least not always) 100% successful. My wheel went back for the fix (actually was replaced for a fixed unit I believe) and although not nearly as bad I still have intermittent shifting issues. 
    1) You are saying your wheel was replaced with another refurbished wheel? Oo
    2) If the wheel doesn't work after a repair, don't wait, instantly report it AGAIN.

I am still waiting for a reply from support... guess they have other (security) things to do..

• Gagaryn .Gagaryn . Member
    edited August 2019

Sadly the repair work is not (at least not always) 100% successful. My wheel went back for the fix (actually was replaced for a fixed unit I believe) and although not nearly as bad I still have intermittent shifting issues. 
    1) You are saying your wheel was replaced with another refurbished wheel? Oo
    2) If the wheel doesn't work after a repair, don't wait, instantly report it AGAIN.

I am still waiting for a reply from support... guess they have other (security) things to do..

I don't believe there is any point returning it.

I think every McLaren wheel has shifting issues. The only options are live with a mclaren wheel that intermittently misses shifts or replace it with another wheel. There is currently not an similar sized alternative wheel so I'm taking the first option.
  • I don't believe there is any point returning it.

I think every McLaren wheel has shifting issues. The only options are live with a mclaren wheel that intermittently misses shifts or replace it with another wheel. There is currently not an similar sized alternative wheel so I'm taking the first option.
    I can understand why you do this, but you have paid 180 euros for a product that in your case is faulty. If it is just the size: the P1 has the same 300mm. If Fanatec is incapable of repairing a wheel or send you a new one, money should be returned.