Podium Wheel Bases (and Racing Wheels) discussion

Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
General discussion for topics related to the Podium Wheel Base DD1 (P WB DD1), Podium Wheel Base DD2 (P WB DD2), and Podium Racing Wheel F1® - officially licensed for PS4™ (P RW F1).

Comments

• any decent setting for ps4 gt sport. please
  • Yoeri FlossieYoeri Flossie Member
    edited April 2019
    what's the size of the DD2 base? 

I have a Belkin surge protector/powerstrip. Is it okay to plug the DD2 together with a PC, 3 screens, speakers & pedalset?
  • Waiting on dd1 ps4 order but would like a round wheel also and leaning toward the Porsche rim. Is there a new podium series Porsche rim planned?
  • Got my DD1, Bummed I missed that the kill switch doesn't come with it, or the order info was changed after I pre-ordered it forever ago.  But my bigger issue is, I don't even see a place I can order one.......  Ideas?  Go. :)
  • I don't even see a place I can order one.......  Ideas?  Go. :)
    The kill switch is not yet available for order.
  • edited April 2019
    Anyone else with DD1/2 have it that the base does not seem to connect to rims ?

I tried 3 that all work with CSW v2.5 but that and pedals/handbrake/shifter do not seem to be communicating with the base :(

EDIT: Well this morning - no changes switched on and now wheels are recognized. Some weird stuff going on with assigning buttons etc... but will keep plodding on to try figure it out.
  • Does anyone have project cars 1 for the PS4 plus the podium PS4 wheel that can help me out? No matter what mode I use I cannot get past the press X to continue screen all buttons seem to work in the main menu but I cannot get past here, I even deleted my save file and nothing
  • Hello Fanatec, hi all, 

I just received my DD1 one today. Overall it is really a great product, I'm happy I went for it. 

However, I noticed an issue that may (or hopefully may not) cause serious trouble in near future:

When mounting a rim, there is a considerable amount of play all around, meaning the wheel bends slightly to all sides. This was not the case with my V2.5, very tight fit on that one. This holds for both, the formula carbon and BMW GT2 rim which are not too old.

Being an engineer myself I looked a bit more and found the source of the play: 

The first part of the axle where the rim slides on, the one before the rubber, is too small in Diameter. Easily a few tenths of microns, if not even a hundred. 
    This means, even with the tightest rubber squeeze and security screw, there will be play, as the axle is simply too small. 

Please @Thomas Jackermeier, can you comment on this? There are so many issues with broken rim Pins out there, this looks quite dangerous to me. Esp. since the forces are up to there times as on V2.5 and there will be quite an amount of bending on all of the Pins with this play and configuration. 

• Lars JoschkoLars Joschko Member
    edited April 2019
    Have you tightend the golden nut after putting the wheel on (it will bend the rubber and tighten the wheel on the steering axle)? I have no play at all on my PRW/DD1 with non of my 5 rims.
  • edited April 2019

Hello Fanatec, hi all, 

I just received my DD1 one today. Overall it is really a great product, I'm happy I went for it. 

However, I noticed an issue that may (or hopefully may not) cause serious trouble in near future:

When mounting a rim, there is a considerable amount of play all around, meaning the wheel bends slightly to all sides. This was not the case with my V2.5, very tight fit on that one. This holds for both, the formula carbon and BMW GT2 rim which are not too old.

Being an engineer myself I looked a bit more and found the source of the play: 

The first part of the axle where the rim slides on, the one before the rubber, is too small in Diameter. Easily a few tenths of microns, if not even a hundred. 
    This means, even with the tightest rubber squeeze and security screw, there will be play, as the axle is simply too small. 

Please @Thomas Jackermeier, can you comment on this? There are so many issues with broken rim Pins out there, this looks quite dangerous to me. Esp. since the forces are up to there times as on V2.5 and there will be quite an amount of bending on all of the Pins with this play and configuration. 

I dont know and I could be compleatly wrong, but from what your saying could be some sort of sleeve that goes under the rubber, that could be missing, which in turn. Tightens the rubber to the rim shaft, I hope im wrong tho. but that would make engineering sense to me. Hope you have contacted support ?   
  • Both with McLaren rim and universal hub, my wheelbase will display "low trq." on the OLED display. The rims are both connected via the CSW Quick Release of course. Any idea?
  • Both with McLaren rim and universal hub, my wheelbase will display "low trq." on the OLED display. The rims are both connected via the CSW Quick Release of course. Any idea?
    what do you want ? Hi Torque ? you have to plug in the torque key to unlock the hi torque 
    Plug the torque key in the wheel base.

Plug the torque key in the wheel base.

Both with McLaren rim and universal hub, my wheelbase will display "low trq." on the OLED display. The rims are both connected via the CSW Quick Release of course. Any idea?
    what do you want ? Hi Torque ? you have to plug in the torque key to unlock the hi torque 
    Thanks guys
  • can someone post all important button combos?  i dont know how to change dd1 modes.
    i can only browse the setup menue and the diffrent info windows.
  • i dont have the podium racing wheel, i have the dd1. have no share button or triangle :) but thx
  • there is no info in the universal hub manual about change the dd1 to v2.5 comp mode.

• there is no info in the universal hub manual about change the dd1 to v2.5 comp mode.

Try on lower left button group the right and the left one.
  • In case anyone is having trouble with games detecting the Podium DD wheel base after updating its firmware and drivers, then make sure you go into Steam Settings -> Controllers -> and uncheck everything. I am guessing its specifically the Generic Controller Support checkbox that I had checked. Once this was unchecked, then all the games starter recognizing it in some form or another. Hope this helps someone else as I wasted countless hours trying to figure out what was wrong.
  • edited April 2019
    Out of curiosity, I aligned the wheel and ran the motor alignment tests. The zero on it looks perfect within the driver software, but when I turn the wheel base on, it proceeds to rotate 30 or so degrees to the right and then rotates back towards zero and slowly stops at like +6 degrees. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure it's really affecting anything but it doesn't go back to zero. I can manually rotate it back to zero and the driver software shows it at zero when I do so.
  • Does anyone know when/where the new podium software is to be released? I thought the app is coming out today?
  • Also looking forward to the software. I hope it let's us modifiy the bump stop strength.
  • Paul WalkerPaul Walker Member
    edited April 2019
    @Fanatec Am I OK to plug the Shifter SQ in to the DD2 with the standard RJ12 6p6c or do I need one with ferrite cores like supplied for the pedals and ESS?
  • @Fanatec Am I OK to plug the Shifter SQ in to the DD2 with the standard RJ12 6p6c or do I need one with ferrite cores like supplied for the pedals and ESS?
    what would you rather be safe or sorry Paul ?
  • @Fanatec Am I OK to plug the Shifter SQ in to the DD2 with the standard RJ12 6p6c or do I need one with ferrite cores like supplied for the pedals and ESS?
    Seemed to work fine for me.
  • In case anyone is having trouble with games detecting the Podium DD wheel base after updating its firmware and drivers, then make sure you go into Steam Settings -> Controllers -> and uncheck everything. I am guessing its specifically the Generic Controller Support checkbox that I had checked. Once this was unchecked, then all the games starter recognizing it in some form or another. Hope this helps someone else as I wasted countless hours trying to figure out what was wrong.
    when i go to controller i cant uncheck there is nothing to uncheck need some help
  • Out of curiosity, I aligned the wheel and ran the motor alignment tests. The zero on it looks perfect within the driver software, but when I turn the wheel base on, it proceeds to rotate 30 or so degrees to the right and then rotates back towards zero and slowly stops at like +6 degrees. Anyone else have this issue? Not sure it's really affecting anything but it doesn't go back to zero. I can manually rotate it back to zero and the driver software shows it at zero when I do so.
    Try to increase the SPR setting.
    : If SPR is set to low values or ‘OFF’ the Podium Wheel Base will not be able to move the attached Steering Wheel to correct center position after calibration run.
    what would you rather be safe or sorry Paul ?

Thank you for trying but why so very condescending? troll, probably not, but who knows how old your mind is (see it's easy. lol). 

I was asking to make sure one way or another, as there are no references to it in the manuals that I can see. If it is OK and works without duff shifts or missed gears due to EMI interference, then all is good with the standard cable. There would not be another reason to be 'safe'or 'sorry' behind using the standard cable, but there seems no option to purchase anything other than the standard cable: https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/shifter-accessories/sp-pedals-shifter-cable-2-0m-rj12-rj12-eu.html and the Shifter SQ 1.5 is not listed as an accessory to the DD2 but the product page for the shifter states: "Compatible to all Fanatec Wheel Bases / Racing Wheels"

The ESS has a ferrite protected cable as do the pedals, both included so from all the above information one would assume 1 of 2 things:

1. The standard cable is just fine (as Joel confirms) and Fanatec saw no need to state otherwise.

2. Fanatec have overlooked the connectivity of the shifter SQ to the DD wheels.

@Fanatec Am I OK to plug the Shifter SQ in to the DD2 with the standard RJ12 6p6c or do I need one with ferrite cores like supplied for the pedals and ESS?
    Seemed to work fine for me.
    Thank you for your fine answer, just what I was hoping for.