Project CARS 2 (PC) - Fanatec Recommended Settings

Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
edited August 2021 in Project CARS
General Notes:

- The settings below are considered to be reasonable baseline values for Project CARS 2 (PC). They might not suit all tastes and driving styles, but they are a good starting point. Bear in mind that Project CARS 2 uses a dynamic physics engine covering a broad range of cars and tracks, meaning that these settings might not be 'optimal' for every possible driving scenario.

- In order to apply the suggested settings correctly, it is important to assign both the Tuning Menu values AND the suggested In-Game settings together.

- For the Podium Series settings, it is assumed that the Torque Key is being used.

- The 'raw' setting is the best of the standard 'flavour' options, but it is worth using 'custom' in combination with Jack Spade's Custom Files (which can be found on the official Project CARS forum).

- Please ensure you are using the latest firmware for all Fanatec devices.

Podium Wheel Base DD1 / Podium Racing Wheel F1® PS4™
(V2.5 Mode)

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 1080 (shown as 108 on some displays)
FF 40
FFS Peak
NDP 25
NFR 5
NIN 0
INT 4
FEI 100
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BLI User Preference
SHO 100
BRF User Preference

*SPR only affects the wheel centering in the menu. DPR values have no effect.

In-Game Settings (Force Feedback Menu):
Note: select ClubSport V2 base before running steering calibration
Flavour: Raw**
Gain: 100
Volume: 60
Tone: 50
FX: 50

**Alternatively select 'Custom' in combination with Jack Spade's Custom Files (found on the official Project CARS Forum)

Podium Wheel Base DD2
(V2.5 Mode)

Tuning Menu Settings:
FF 40
FFS Peak
NDP 25
NFR 5
NIN 0
INT 4
FEI 100
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BLI User Preference
SHO 100
BRF User Preference

**Alternatively select 'Custom' in combination with Jack Spade's Custom Files (found on the official Project CARS Forum)

ClubSport Wheel Base V2

SEN 900
FF 100
SHO 100
BLI User Preference
DRI 002
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference

ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5

Tuning Menu Settings:
SEN 900
FF 100
SHO 100
BLI User Preference
DRI -02
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference
FEI 100

CSL Elite Wheel Base (V1)

Tuning Menu Settings:
FF 100
SHO 100
BLI User Preference
DRI 003
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference
FEI 100

CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1 / CSL Elite Wheel Base + / CSL Elite Racing Wheel PS4™

Tuning Menu Settings:
FF 100
SHO 100
BLI User Preference
DRI -03
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BRF User Preference
FEI 080

CSL DD
(Compatibility Mode)

Tuning Menu Settings:
FF 100
FFS Peak
NDP 25
NFR Off
NIN Off
INT 4
FEI 100
FOR 100
SPR 100*
DPR 100*
BLI User Preference
SHO 100
BRF User Preference

Comments

• Interesting that the DD wheels need to be on csw compat mode on the PC? Or is that just a cut-paste from the consoles?
  • edited April 2019
    Interesting that the DD wheels need to be on csw compat mode on the PC? Or is that just a cut-paste from the consoles?
    No More Patches for Pcars2 on PC or Console... Ever!!! So the DD2 to work has to be in v.2.5 compatibility mode for it to work. Native DD2 support will Never happen unless SMS releases a surprise update.
  • edited April 2019
    Lorrell, if you remember in december they release a patch only to add support Tobii Eye Tracker. Fanatec DD will have many more users than that device, but I think it depends more of the pressure that Fanatec could make on SMS than us.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    I really have doubts that will happen as they have moved on to other projects. Even WMD forum has gone silent.
  • Dominic, I don't know where you got these settings but why aren't any of the wheels have SEN on AUT (auto set by game) but instead fixed to 900 or even an odd 108 degrees on the Podium? This makes absolutely no sense as the game (both pCARS 1 and 2) will automatically set the correct wheel lock per car, but only if you don't override it with a fixed SEN degree setting in the wheel.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Dominic, I don't know where you got these settings but why aren't any of the wheels have SEN on AUT (auto set by game) but instead fixed to 900 or even an odd 108 degrees on the Podium? This makes absolutely no sense as the game (both pCARS 1 and 2) will automatically set the correct wheel lock per car, but only if you don't override it with a fixed SEN degree setting in the wheel.
    Hi Christian, the SEN 108 refers to 1080 degrees - it is displayed as '108' on most Fanatec steering wheels. I have made this clearer in the description. The reason why we recommend setting this to 900 or 1080 is because the in-game steering calibration seems to handle any value you throw at it (and once calibrated, the game automatically sets the correct lock per car, regardless of whether you were using Auto or another SEN value). Using Auto is fine, but it seems to limit some of our 1080 degree bases to 900, and there are some cars in PCARS2 that have a higher lock than 900.
  • So I set Project cars 2 to CSW V2.5 and the paddle shifts on the Formula F1 wheel do not work. I remapped them and still nothing. If I set the wheel base to Custom and manually map everything again then the paddle shifts work.
  • So I set Project cars 2 to CSW V2.5 and the paddle shifts on the Formula F1 wheel do not work. I remapped them and still nothing. If I set the wheel base to Custom and manually map everything again then the paddle shifts work.
    You need to set the DD into CSW v2.5 Compatibility mode when you wanna use it with the CSW preset in pC2. PC mode only works for a custom controller profile.
  • Needing to set the DD base to v2.5 Compatibility mode is confusing. i couldnt see anywhere in the instructions were it said how to do this.

but....... im not good at reading instructions :) i lucked in to it by spaming the mode select buttons
    im really like the wheel especially in PC2. foeza still seems dumed down.
    not tried f1 2018 yet
  • Cedric HerardCedric Herard Member
    edited May 2019
    Hi Everyone,

For those with DD2 base and BMW Rim Here are the buttons to switch mods.
    Cheers
  • edited May 2019
    Dominic, I don't know where you got these settings but why aren't any of the wheels have SEN on AUT (auto set by game) but instead fixed to 900 or even an odd 108 degrees on the Podium? This makes absolutely no sense as the game (both pCARS 1 and 2) will automatically set the correct wheel lock per car, but only if you don't override it with a fixed SEN degree setting in the wheel.
    Hi Christian, the SEN 108 refers to 1080 degrees - it is displayed as '108' on most Fanatec steering wheels. I have made this clearer in the description. The reason why we recommend setting this to 900 or 1080 is because the in-game steering calibration seems to handle any value you throw at it (and once calibrated, the game automatically sets the correct lock per car, regardless of whether you were using Auto or another SEN value). Using Auto is fine, but it seems to limit some of our 1080 degree bases to 900, and there are some cars in PCARS2 that have a higher lock than 900.
    Interesting odd behavior there. I never knew that it would limit it to 900 when at 1080 when having it set to auto, and this is after calibration? Than I guess it must have been an oversight from SMS as most wheels are 900 degrees max. You learn something every day and I found it most interesting. Thank you very much for explaining, Dominic.

Edit:
    One more thing. For the Podium wheel bases, are you guys going to give more rotations than 1080 for those that like to play games like OMSI2?

Talking about wheel rotation, those buses have quite a few turns on them after all. With the wheel rotation being technically limitless I would expect that you'd be able to simply do such a thing at some point. :)
  • Dominic, could you give turning down gain to 25% a whirl?

Cause A LOT and I mean A LOT of information comes back when doing that. It's as if gain is scaled 0-400% behind the scenes instead of 0-100%, making it clip horribly somehow it seems.

You'll understand what I mean by clipping once you tried it. You might need to change the gain recommendation for every wheel, as people over in the pCARS forum Podium thread are liking this as well. :)
  • What the heck are you talking about compatibility mode with DD2 and Project Cars 2??
    Just select custom wheel, assign the axis in the menu and done. Works just fine.
    Not sure what in-game FFB settings should be set though. Raw works the best -> +/- everything on default, maybe some more tone.
    In the DD2 wheel I had to crank up the FFB to around 55% instead of the standard 35% that I use for AC and iRacing.
  • What the heck are you talking about compatibility mode with DD2 and Project Cars 2??
    Just select custom wheel, assign the axis in the menu and done. Works just fine.
    Not sure what in-game FFB settings should be set though. Raw works the best -> +/- everything on default, maybe some more tone.
    In the DD2 wheel I had to crank up the FFB to around 55% instead of the standard 35% that I use for AC and iRacing.
    Because in pc mode with a custom controller config you don't have RevLEDs and Display.

• Because in pc mode with a custom controller config you don't have RevLEDs and Display.
    Ok, that would be a different argument then (can't see that anyway because mostly driving in VR :-D)
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    One more thing. For the Podium wheel bases, are you guys going to give more rotations than 1080 for those that like to play games like OMSI2?

Talking about wheel rotation, those buses have quite a few turns on them after all. With the wheel rotation being technically limitless I would expect that you'd be able to simply do such a thing at some point. :)
    Yes, unlocking the rotation limit is something that we are considering.

Dominic, could you give turning down gain to 25% a whirl?

Cause A LOT and I mean A LOT of information comes back when doing that. It's as if gain is scaled 0-400% behind the scenes instead of 0-100%, making it clip horribly somehow it seems.

You'll understand what I mean by clipping once you tried it. You might need to change the gain recommendation for every wheel, as people over in the pCARS forum Podium thread are liking this as well. :)
    Thanks for the suggestion, we will try this.
  • Daniel RyanDaniel Ryan Member
    edited May 2019
    Re. Podium dd1. I honestly found the suggested settings to be very week and even if you set the steering ratio to the lowest 5.0 you still can't get your steering to match the on screen wheel. I only use race cars so i changed the SEN to 540, which made a huge improvement to the steering (recalibrate wheel in the game after changing SEN)and force feed back intensity increased, i also increased the FF to 55%, feels tones better in terms of more realistic forces now.
  • referring to Podium DD1
  • Ok guys,

I'm at my limit here - please HELP!!!!

After getting a DOA base on the 1st I finally got my replacement DD1 base yesterday. Project Cars 2 was the first sim I fired up and I cannot get the wheel to register in the menu.

Everything is seen without issue in Windows. My current configuration is as follows:
    PC Driver 335. WB FW 653. Motor FW 30.
    I have centered the wheel, run the shifter calibration, and completed the motor calibration while in DD1 PC mode before swapping to COMP V2.5. All functions tests work properly in both DD1 and COMP V2.5 mode.
    Tuning menu identical to the recommended settings above.
    Base is in COMP V2.5 mode.
    Control Scheme is set to Fanatec CSW V2 separate pedals in game.

I have also tried every combination of PC\COMP 2.5\CSW V2\CSW V2.5\Custom Wheel without luck.

My shifter is connected to the wheel base and I am able to assign the gears properly in the Edit Assignments menu. My pedals are not connected through the wheel base (I just haven't changed up the wiring yet - complicated rig) and I'm also able to map and calibrate the pedals.

When I attempt to either map the steering axis in Edit Assignments or Calibrate Wheel option in Control Scheme it does not register input. I have also tried this with the Fanatec Wheel Properties window open and I can see that the input is being read properly by the Fanatec software but nothing in game.

I did launch a session in Private Testing mode without being able to do any calibration and initially I would turn the wheel left and the wheel in game responded but nothing to the right of center registered. I opened the menu and tried assigning axis\calibrating while in sim, without success, and once I exited the menu the left of center wasn't even registering any more.

It worked properly in iRacing last night after I got tired of troubleshooting PCARS2. Still no love in PCARS... what could be wrong?

• Hi Matthew, I had some troubles too initially getting Project Cars 2 to work, after I changed the wheel to V2.5 Comp mode it didn't work either, but after I restarted my computer it did (leaving it in that mode), I then had to assign all the controls. I've also got it to work as a custom wheel now too, since I have a different brand of sequential shifter which wouldn't work while the Fanatec Wheel was selected as my controller in PC2.

If that doesn't work and if your wheel is registering properly in the Fanatec Software than I would delete the controller settings file (which will be recreated when you start the game again automatically) C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Project CARS 2 and then see if it's recognised, you may need to assign steering left and right again, but try doing the wheel calibration first I'd say if you selected Fanatec Clubsport wheel you might not need to do it.
  • I use my dd1 in PC mode. I think the only things not working is the LED rev lights on my rim and navigating menus. Unsure if either works with compat mode but I ran into the same problem with not being able to map anything. Didn't try rebooting the PC though.

I found that the best FFB is to use the Ultimate Forcefeedback mod. I use smoother feel preset and it is amazing. Adjust the custom settings to how you prefer. I personally use: Gain - 100, volume 50, Tone 40, Fx 8. 
  • I use my dd1 in PC mode. I think the only things not working is the LED rev lights on my rim and navigating menus. Unsure if either works with compat mode but I ran into the same problem with not being able to map anything. Didn't try rebooting the PC though.

I found that the best FFB is to use the Ultimate Forcefeedback mod. I use smoother feel preset and it is amazing. Adjust the custom settings to how you prefer. I personally use: Gain - 100, volume 50, Tone 40, Fx 8. 

I have a DD and I have to ask what are your tuning menu settings also as I tried this custom file last night and it was absolutely awful, vibrating all the time, getting very light part way through rotation, very strange, even just sat still on the track the wheel was slowly rotating back and forth like I was on the open seas, never seen that before, right now the normal FFB Flavours feel fine but this is broken.
  • edited October 2019
    Sorry, Gavin, I never got notified of your response. I use the settings on the DD as defined in post 1 on this thread. Make sure you have it set to custom for the FFB flavor in game.

I also switched over to these FFB files, which are even better than the Ultimate Forcefeedback ones as it adds some missing force feedback.

Good luck.
  • Hello together

I am the owner of a Fanatec CW 2.5 Base and F1 2018 Limited Edition Rim. I just came across this article about basic settings CSW 2.5 for Project Cars 2. In PC2 I have been using the FFB files from Jack Spade for a good 2 years now and have also adopted the CSW 2.5 settings recommended by him.

Since Christiaan's Pure FFB files have been available for a few months now and are generally recommended in popular forums, I wanted to ask what the recommended settings are in Game in Project Cars 2 as well as at the steering wheel/base. Does anyone have experience with the Pure FFB profile and can anyone tell me their settings?

I installed Christiaan's FFB files only yesterday and they are a huge change compared to Jack Spade's FFB and I will need some time to get used to them. Since I am missing Roadfeel in Christiaan's FFB and I often have Power Oversteering at the corner exit, I would be very grateful for support.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and thank you very much. 

• Stupid question. But how do i change my DD1 to 2.5 mode? I can't seen to find it.

• Please have a look at the manual and the quick guides of your wheels to find the correct button combination as they depend per wheel.

• I did. But the BMW only shows how to change to PS3 mode. Not to 2.5 comp.

• Should be the same. Did you tried that button combo?

• What i now see is that my DD1 is in CW mode(for what i read of the OLED screen). Don't know if this is the 2.5 mode, but still not working in Project Cars 2.