The new standarDD: The CSL DD

Comments

• Hopefully it does.

My CSL Elite is not the PS4 version and I truly regret not having bought the PS4 version now, but I do hope this new one is PS5 compatible. It's nice to know this, thanks for the reply!

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

We're almost there... ;)

• Absolutely stunning announcement, and while I wish it was shipping now vs Q3 I cannot wait to get my pre-order in as soon as they open up.

• That is actually a really impressive product. I expected something like this since the April fools tease. But I really like the aluminium heatsink/mounting rails. Spot on! Plus the upgradeable power supply.

I look forward to ordering, and I hope you can release a PS5 compatible base at launch, as I use both PS5 and PC. But mainly PS5 these days.

Really great presentation, and I can see the hard work that's been put into this product. Well done!

• RIP Thrustmaster.

wow the new dd Looks very sexy. Sad That i already own the Podium ps4 DD 😉

• I was so excited until I got an email from Fanatec where it clearly says that it's not Playstation compatible and can not be upgraded to be compatible with PS.. And still no CSL Elite.. No Fanatec for me I guess. It's little to say that I'm frustrated..

Thrustmaster it is..

• No PS5 compatibility .....

• So it's almost as powerful as a CSL Elite? Why should I upgrade then from my CSL Elite?

The 180W power supply will probably be 75-100 euros I guess? Not such a bargain anymore...

I don't believe DD is the holy grail no matter what. It depends on other factors as well.

• So I can just repeat what I commented on the April Fool's post:

This is an absolute gamechanger and I now feel unadequate with my CSW V2.5 I bought last BF, haha :')

Someone please tell me I am still well off with it, so I don't need to buy this, please

• Not compatible with Playstation ??? :(

• Rinus HuismanRinus Huisman Member
    edited April 2021

Looks good. 5Nm CSL Elite DD.

Personally I will wait for the CSW DD for around 10NM with boost to 15 or so. For 550 euro. Then sell my CSW 2.5 for 350-400. Hopefully the F1 Black + Porsche Rim will work. Its a bit weird to pay another 99 euro x2 to upgrade my current rims... If that's going to be a thing. Gonna feel a bit like a crashgrab, imho

Anyway nice to see innovation. Curious what other companies will do. If the reviews are good then Logitech and Thrustmaster are likely to be dead.

ps. If Fanatec want to fight scalpers they need to restrict one wheelbase per account/IP or so.

• It would be awesome if Fanatec created a trade-in or upgrade option available to those who already own a CSL or CSW.

• This would be so cool. I would love this to be a thing!

• Well done Fanatec, very interesting piece of kit!

Any chance you could share the price of the boost kit already?

• Florian LichtFlorian Licht Member
    edited April 2021

Can we expect the new QR also in Q3 this year? Or maybe even before?

Really hyped for the new QR :D

• I'm very impressed. I wasn't expecting a DD. I though Fanatec had entry level all in bundles in mind (to compete with TM and Logitech).

Really amazing!

• One important question for me: Will i be able to upgrade my DD2 with this new exchangeable QR system?

• edited April 2021

Yes, that's the reason why the QR is exchangeable on the Podium DDs, this was already confirmed several times that you can upgrade to the new QR2 :)

Dont think that you can upgrade to this specific new QR1 version though as it uses USB-C where the Podium DD uses Molex Cables.

• Really interesting piece of kit, and while it might be on par with the Clubsport v2(.5) offerings the direct drive aspect will make this a really nice upgrade for all of us who are on a tight budget. Plus the fact that the QR seems upgradable, and it having infinite rotation for us ETS2/ATS lovers or the Bus Sim lovers out there.

I think you might have another game changer on your hands, Thomas. So to the entire Fanatec team that have worked tirelessly to the point of getting overworked... congratulations!

• This isn't plastic at ALL, look at the photos... that is extruded aluminum.... that is how they are able to get the price down... and you can only create those type of shapes through extrusion, but once you have paid for the dies, extrusion is cheap, and had low waste, and is VERY fast! it leaves the faces to be machined, the center to spec, and the holes drilled... but wow, love this design, and the engineering!!!

• This isn't plastic at ALL, look at the photos... that is extruded aluminum.... that is how they are able to get the price down... and you can only create those type of shapes through extrusion, but once you have paid for the dies, extrusion is cheap, and had low waste, and is VERY fast! it leaves the faces to be machined, the center to spec, and the holes drilled... but wow, love this design, and the engineering!!!

Thomas, I'm working on my operations management BA degree, let me know if there is positions available in America. I would love to work in this industry! (First degree was in Cad design and Precision machining.)

• any info on availability dates and if compatible with PS4/5. I already have someone I need to send a gift to... 😉

• Bummer... My brother will be disappointed. 😢

Maybe if new DD Podium comes out that is compatible with all 3 platform will get that and give my brother my Podium F1... 😇

• Moving to DD across the line makes perfect sense, it's now a mature technology, the advantages are now well understood. Gear and belt wheels are archaic, too many parts and expensive to assemble - production costs on this will be much lower than the old CSL due to the automation - hope they can get those robots trained to develop the software too.

Bit surprised they released this before the ClubSport version, especially as they have dropped the PS compatibility which was the CSL USP - I wonder if it's actually more difficult to make a profit in the midrange than it is at the bottom, what with the requirement for more robust power supplies and bigger motors. I suspect that this base will perform best with light wheels, the composite shaft will have been used to minimise mass to avoid reducing torque even further with what will be quite a small motor.

Also surprised that without buying an upgrade it has less torque than the old CSL Elite had - that's uncharacteristically bad from a marketing view point. I think this might have been a (even) bigger win if they had just sold this as a 8 Nm wheel - for 449. I hope it is available with the bigger power supply as an option and not a secondary purchase - doesn't make sense to force people into buying two power supplies both from a cost point of view and from an environmental point of view - every power supply manufactured kills a polar bear.

• I hope it is available with the bigger power supply as an option and not a secondary purchase - doesn't make sense to force people into buying two power supplies both from a cost point of view and from an environmental point of view - every power supply manufactured kills a polar bear.

+++++1 👍️

Environmental protection is so important today !!!

• I selected "can't wait to order" but I also own the Podium DD2. I will be buying this for my 2 kids, so I can get MY DD2 rig back..

since my 4 year old and 1.5 year old jump on my rig anytime I fire it up. I also ready have the kids GTR-GTA pro rig, that I bought (because of all the adjustability from driver to driver! great when you have different height people using the same sim rig, and was on the website YESTERDAY looking to order CSW or possibly ordering the g29 or thursmaster... but I really wanted them to be able to use all the wheels I already have,

I'm going to purchase the 2021 F1 Limited wheel (unless I get unlucky and don't get a change on order day from selling out). So it will be awesome to have a family of systems where all the wheels I have now, and plan to purchase can be shared and this NEW DD system is sized just right for the kids, but allows them to grow into it.

I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger yesterday on a system... Q3 is SOOOOO far away though... hopefully EARLY Q3!!! To little boys want to know when they will get their DD rig setup :)

(wife already said NO to getting the DD1 for them... lol)