Fanatec Shifter SQ 1.5 Question

Hello
I have looked this up by the FAQ root...I'm having trouble getting a thin locking nut to fit the shifter thread! The FAQ says this:
Q: Which dimension does shifter knob mounting thread of the ClubSport Shifter (SQ) have?
A: It is a standard M12 x 20mm screw thread to mount various standard shifter knobs.

So I ordered a pack of 10 half locking nuts THREAD SIZE: M12 standard, the nuts go on the thread but just one turn and stick there, the thread on the shifter will not go through the nut to the bottom, the seller said they are M12 standard? He asked about the pitch, but can't find that answer anywhere...Can someone help with this, please? It is for a gear knob that I can lock down on, so I don't damage the shifter shaft by using the grub screws ;)
Thanks
Steve     

Comments

• Hello
    I need someone from Fanatec or just anyone, if as the information says "It is a standard M12 x 20mm screw thread to mount various standard shifter knobs"...Then why is it that a standard M12 nut will not thread onto the shifter thread? I have some pictures that show how far the nut goes on the thread that's about one turn I have tried putting a spanner on the nut it just cuts into the shaft thread...So, what nut size must I order? I have tried the nut on a second shifter and it's the same? Even the seller has sent me some different nuts to try, and yes, still the same! Thanks for some help, please
    Steve

• edited September 2019
    As no one else is reponding, I'll try my best. I could measure it but unfortunately, the shifter is still on my "to buy" list. But maybe I can help you to measure it youself. While M12x1,75 is the regular thread, I've heard (not measured myself) from both fine versions of M12 (M12x1,25 and M12x1,5) to be used in cars.
    So if you have something to measure Millimeters, please measure the distance of ten turns (the "valleys" between the "peaks" ;) ) like shown in the picture:

Now devide the length by ten und you have the pitch. For a measured length of 12,5 mm, it's M12x1,25. For 15 mm it's M12x1,5 and so on.

If you don't have 10 turns, take less and divide by respective quantity. If you measure in inches, one inch is 25,4 mm. Calculator can help in this case, or ask here and I do my best.

I hope that this helps...

• Thank you, Christopher, for taking the time to answer my question, it is much appreciated  ;) A combination of lack of knowledge on my part, and an eBay seller that sells nuts, bolts, and screws ( Who should know, you would think! ) telling me "It can't be an M12 at 1.5 pitch because that would make it an M10" What?  So, I got confused.com  :(  I did, what maybe I should have done in the first place, and used Google :)

It is in fact, an M12 fine pitch at 1.5 :) I have bought a couple of universal gearstick knobs but the fitting has been on the large side, I've always used the plastic sleeves with grub screws, never needed a lock nut until now...So, now I know, I re-ordered from a different seller :) Thanks again though, you post is not wasted, I now know how to measure a thread and arrive at a given pitch...Thank you :) 
  • You're welcome. You found the solution and that's the main thing. And now I know that it's a 1,5 pitch, too. This knowledge might come in handy some day... B-)

Maybe Fanatec will add this information to the Shifter website!?
  • Hello...I've had a LOT of Fanatec items separate or show up broken so I'm very much aware of the fix cycle. I've sent 1 wheel base and 3 directing wheels back to them before, all inside several months timeframe...as well as 1 wheel with a plan imperfection that I'm living with, and now the shifter issue...however I live extremely distant from the closest fix place (as in 4 time regions away), so holding up 3 to about a month to get something fixed is a problem, particularly if it's something that might have been dodged with better quality control on Fanatec's part.