Fanatec Beta Driver V352/356 [DD Performance Update] for Podium Bases ONLY (all steering wheels)

Comments

• So after this driver release, we already have 2 DD dead?!

Both are: • DD1 • First batch • Died few minutes after driving (15-20 minutes)

T° have increased (even if it's officially not an issue)

Loud metallic/clonk sound when turning off

And like everybody, our products is not listed in "my products" page for a RMA.

... I think i'll stay on 345 for a while.

• Seems I'm luckier than Josh, the DD was listed in my products, and Fanatec responded overnight, wanting to see a video, which I provided. Now, being the weekend and only a couple of work days until the holidays I'm obviously not going to get a replacement to enjoy over the break.

I'll post any updates, but expect an RMA to get underway asap.

• CSL Elite v1.1 with PS4 Wheel --- v352 Installed and working great

Platform: PC Windows 10 v1909

Wheel Base: CSL Elite v1.1 with P1 PS4 wheel

Pedals: CSL with Load Cell

Driver: v352

WheelBase Firmware: 669

Motor Firmware: v22

5 hours of racing on Assetto Corsa, AC Competizione, RaceRoom. Zero shut downs, zero wheel locks, etc... :-), installed first time without issues.

What I did.

With the wheel turned on and plugged in:

Uninstalled the previouse Fanatec driver package in Apps (I do not have Fanalab installed)

Removed all the hidden Human interface Devices (the ones with their icons greyed out).

Reset ALL the game controllers (including all non-Fanatec ones)

Installed the new Fanatec Drivers

Rebooted Machine

Updated WheelBase Firmware

Calibrated Wheel

Updated Motor Firmware

Reset my WheelBase set-ups (I am using the recommended settings from the Fanatec Forums)

In each game I then reset my controller settings (I am using the recommended settings for all games)

Please note: Raceroom recommended settings on the Fanatec website are now not very good since last update (I am using the Raceroom default settings, they need fine tuning).

Also I had to perform the delete of the controller profile for Raceroom twice before it worked.

Kind regards.

• No you're not... I've tested with latest driver... And something IS really wrong. But they're working on it.. Betas are for testing and will be resolved

• The jolts are a serious issue. Feels like the ffb is resetting itself of and on... Cause I've got this feel also when RF2 has loaded and you go from 3rd person vision in garage, to in car (I use cockpit view... VR). Feels like DD profile is loaded at that moment. And same for AC. When track and car is loaded and you see the car with open door and the options menu on the left side. That knock is even harder

• Hello as the owner of dd1 I read it really bad, all the symptoms mentioned in the posts here with 352 had also returned back to the driver from the product page and everything ok so just hope that dd somehow damaged, should I worry?

• I have it as well on the Xbox and It is listed in the known issues: "AUTO SEN issues on Xbox 1 using Podium DD". It's not just AUTO SEN by the way, other values don't work correct on the Xbox as well.

Probably a fix in the next driver update. Diver v353 with FW 670 did not address this issue yet, as Marcel said that driver and firmware is only an update for the PBME.

• Damn even the csl elite worked with that driver, what is with us csw v2.5 users :( we get ignored here

• Peyo PeevPeyo Peev Member
    edited December 2019

Had to revert back to v335, had pretty bad cogging/noise/ripple in rF2 with the DD1, which couldn't be smoothen with any of the options on the wheelbase and the smoothing option in-game. Definitely the wheel felt more responsive and quicker, can't wait for the final version, but for now its undrivable for me. I even thought my wheelbase broke for a minute, it was that bad.

• HI,

with the new driver and firmware on the Fanatec wheel base 2.5 I found out that the fan will not go on after a 1h race. With the 347 it is up and running after 15 min of racing. Base in not hot but hand warm. Just to let you know.

• This comment was very helpful, thank you. Even with these steps it still did not open the control panel by default (the shortcut to get the expanded properties menu didn't install - but I copied it from the VM on the other machine I tried and now it works on my main PC. Thanks.

• Fanatec has come along way with a small staff. The Fanatec culture has been confirmed by the Team success.  Each member of that small staff feels affirmed that they are indeed capable of all and every form of engineering. 

I'm an old man who has not been in the industry for 16 years😀.  But I have seen this culture war before. The not invented here mentality is often strong in teams that everyone takes on the burden of Jack Of All Trades. Many sound reasons cause this culture to grow. It is not an easy task for a leader to take a successful team to a larger successful team. In my opinion this needs to be done for Fanatec to continue to succeed. 

Some warning signs that I would like Fanatec to drop its advertising for "programmers" when they clearly need Software Engineers. Software Engineers on an equal footing with the existing team. Incorporating software development along side product development so that they are released as a product.

My recommendations are from 30 + years of Software Engineering experience.  I was the Chairman of the Software Engineering Panel for General Electric Aerospace Business Group.  My most pertinent war story was being called to Burlington Vermont that made gatling guns (Mechanical Engineers Ruled there) and beginning asked why it would take more than one software engineer to develop the code to control, stabilize and track a gatling gun on a moving personnel carrier going 30 MPH over rough terrain.

• Moin.

It would be nice if the tips would appear in the respective national language on the oled display. To make a selection during the FW installation which language you want ? (google translator)

Gruß T.Dötsch

• Did you remove your older settings, like in the comment that was added in Marcels main post? Raceroom had a major update and you have to start from scratch. I've got a DD1 and with a little tweaking of the New DD1 preset.. The ffb feels better than ever before to me!

• Regarding DD, 352, Raceroom and 2 broken wheels. I think since the new FFB of RR3 there's something wrong under the hood. I noticed my CSW 2.5 (Driver 347, tho) started really blazing loud. Almost like a jet / heavy wind. So I guess the 2.5 became really really hot. Perhaps it's not the driver to blame, but the new FFB of RR3. Perhaps it's sending lots of other waves and signals which makes the DD saying Boom. With AMS, rF2 and ACC my base is just quiet / not as loud.

Perhaps some testing worth.

• Steven WrightSteven Wright Member
    edited December 2019

Since the last two drivers/firmware (not exactly sure) I have been getting lots of high powered random jolts at varied intervals, in any sim.

It's gotten so annoying I finally decided to try and record it, see below @ 0:51 and 2:05 (rest of the video is just me waiting for it to happen)

This occurs in any sim, when driving or stationary, regardless of what's going on, even mid corner it badly needs fixing and is become more regular with this recent update (or seems to be). Nothing I have tried gets rid of it, its not a signal from the game (which I first thought when it started happening) as shown above with the raceroom FFB meter active.

If the wheel is left powered up and there isn't a sim running, there are no random jolts.

I installed this driver hoping it was going to solve it, sadly, no dice :(

• this jolting has been around for a while, fanatec really need to sort out some stable and working drivers BEFORE trying to add new funcionality to show off

• I've been suggesting this for a while now. Limit your work in progress and keep your commits small, so that when issues occur, you can start backing commits out until the issue goes away, then know exactly where to start on a fix.

• just watch barrys review of the dd1, he said that turning the spring and damper down to zero stopped the roughness and grainyness with this driver, which is odd cause no games use them settings

• Hasn't your mother told you not to install beta drivers if you don't want to risk any problems?

• I have a Podium Racing Wheel F1 coming soon so I surely will not be using this driver. That being said, Fanatec if you are listening, should you at least consider removing this latest beta driver release since it seems some people are "killing" their DD1's and/or DD2's? Or am I missing something? I haven't read each and every post in this thread but it seems this particular driver may be more trouble than it's worth.

V/R

Keith.

• Quick question... how many products in the Fanatec ecosystem don’t have non-beta drivers? The Podium button module doesn’t. Unless they’ve declared v346 release quality, the Podium Hub doesn’t. Unless they consider v336 release quality, the Podium paddles don’t. (And if they do consider those ‘release quality’ then they’re okay with leaving freeze bugs in production for months on end.)

At what point is it reasonable to expect that there would be drivers that don’t ask the end user “to risk any problems” as you put it? Please, put a number on it - days, weeks, months, whatever you like.

• Keith, remember that only problems are posted. I have not experienced any of these issues using this driver with my DD2. I have no idea why some are experiencing issues and others are not, but I suspect more aren't than are. People without issues don't post.

• True enough. But I would hate to unbox, set up and install this driver only to have a bricked DD1 five minutes later. Beta or not, it should work. Caveat emptor should not be the case here.

• Problem there Marco is Fanatec only ever seem to have Beta drivers that make their latest tech work (Well half work)

• Aaron ScottAaron Scott Member
    edited December 2019

regarding v352 and associated betas ,im using it, its awesome.

1-you have to carefully delete all fanatec drivers / fanalabs and scrap any profiles before installing v352 /353 and v1.23/1.24

*i will load v353 when my 911 shows up?

**Cant use any saved fanalabs settings profiles as new nin ,lin and int settings have been added and the menu order has changed, so hell yes if you aren't careful you can probably mess something if you aren't manually entering them carefully.

2-You have to be able to read and follow instructions too,.

3-then re-enter your settings or default settings while using reccomended nin, lin and int settings in conjunction with reccomended fei.

Most importantly to prevent arm chair interface errors, follow step 2 very carefully

did Gt sport for the first time last night and it was very nice,

wreckfest is very nice,

and dirt rally was also very nice,

aside from the calibration issues i have been having from launch. i have noticed nothing out of the ordinary or behavior that would cause me any alarm.

• edited December 2019

I'm Sooo torn with this New Dr driver Fw Combo!!! The Feel Is Amazing... I used it from day 1 with No problems... Since Friday I been Switching between 352 and 346 and its Really Hard to Go back to 346 Now...

I often leave My wheel on in game menu screen 15 -> 2 min and thus far Its been Good... even with 352...I'm Not using Fanalab...

Question to those who had wheel base Failures with the New Dr 352, Fw 669, Motor Fw 38....

1)were you running Fanalab in the back ground when the Failure Happened??? 2)Were you using the New Oled Screen Feature?

3) what were your On wheel Settings

4)what game were you playing, what were your in game settings???

This can be useful info to create a Knowledge base to examine similarities of wheel base failures.

I tested Dr 352, Fw 669, Motor Fw 38 with Spr and Dpr 100 and at 0... and the Random thumps still happen.

• edited December 2019

Regarding Beta Drivers...The Don't Bother Me Now days any product that can be updated through the internet is always a beta driver... Look how many updates PC, Cell phones, TV's get... Its just the way it is Now days because companies are always trying to Optimize products for maximum performance or New Features.

Just think about what it would be like if Fanatec Stopped Updating FW to Maximize performance or Add New Features... We would All Still Complain!!!

I been Team.. Fanatec Since 2010 before the DD wheel Craze.... When the DD Craze Hit the Sim Racing Community Begged Fanatec to Make a DD Wheel... Fanatec Gave in and made it and Now all they get is Complaints.

I'm sure it will all get sorted.

Even though Team Fanatec Deserves a Break to Relax...I will say that It would Not be right for them to Go on Holiday if the Dr/Fw is Not in a Right enough state that we can enjoy our Products... I'm On Vacation for the Holidays and Look forward to using My Fanatec DD2 and New Porsche Button Box without worry or Glitches....BTW I ordered Full Porsche Button Box Set up on Day 1....Its Not being delivered until the Day After Christmas... Sigh... But No Complaints about that... Its Life Delays and Stuff Happen.

This discussion has been closed.