Podium Button Module Endurance Software Package v1.2 [Incl. Instructions] (Only Podium DD)

Comments

• PC Driver: 356

Wheelbase FW: 670

Wheelbase Motor: 38

Porsche Wheel FW: 9

Podium Hub FW: 2

Base: DD1

Rim: Porsche GT3 R

I'm experiencing an issue where the LED and speedo on the screen (on both the DD1 screen and the Porsche rim screen) will not work.

I'm still able to change gears but the hardware simply doesn't display the rev counter or the speed. I have to restart my computer and it'll work again but after a while, it'll stop working again.

Thanks.

Jason

• Does the OLED Screen on your DD1 work after that in general? Maybe your Fanalab crashes in the background. If it happens again, can you check if Fanalab is still running or has indeed crashed?

• Hey all, hoping someone can help. Just got my new GT3 wheel with the button module and a new DD1. Followed the instructions above and all went fine until the firmware update to the button module itself. The firmware update crashed and I've not been able to get any life out of it since.

I found this Reddit thread:

I tried downloading this which at least enabled me to attempt a re-flash, but I'm getting the same error that person is. Specifically: "Error: Update image failed(No response packet from target device) Update process is stopped by error."

I'm waiting on a response from Fanatec (they asked me to send them a video of my going through it, which I did this am), but thought I'd see whether anyone here might have any suggestions.

I am, like many of you, incredibly frustrated to learn that I bought my way into a very expensive piece of beta hardware.

• The hardware is not beta, it's the firmware which is still beta, unfortunately. But Fanatec is working hard to fix all these issues asap!

• I don't mean to be pedantic, but a piece of hardware only usable through beta firmware is, itself, very much still in beta.

• Circling back, it appears somewhere between the hub and the button module there is a hardware fault. I realized that if I pull on the wheel the button module resets. Investigating a return now.

• Hi

Ive brought cluBsport sterring wheel PORSCHE GT3 AND clubsport wheel universal hub for xbox. I still cannot get the multi switches to work on PC. Total waste of money (950 euros). They new it would'nt work on the clubsport range and been told got to wait until sept 2020 or later.

• Compatibility of the BME is listed on the webshop page pretty clearly so it is only compatible with Podium DD Bases for now. In the future it will be compatible with CSW v2.5 and CSL Elite with a new firmware, but there is no ETA yet. But for sure it will be earlier than September.

Then also the Multi Position Switches will work just fine.

• Is there any plan to offer extended warranties and extended refunds and on this?

I pre-ordered mine before it was announced that it wouldn't be compatible with the CSW v2.5. After mine shipped, a compatibility date of 2020Q1 was given. Now there's "no ETA" with a "for sure" of "earlier than September".

I understand that the world is a bit crazy at the moment, but this is a bit beyond absurd. I've yet to be able to use my rim that I paid $700 USD for and had for almost 5 months.

• It was always mentioned in the compatibility part of the BME that its not yet compatible with anything else than Podium DD from Day 1, even from the minute it went live. On the German (and only on the German site) a Q1 date was mentioned - yes. But since then plans have changed and its going to be compatible to more than just CSW v2.5 so that part was removed completely. However, Marcel already mentioned here that CSW v2.5 is still the first priority base, only then other bases like CSL Elite PS4 are coming next. And a Fanatec Dev already confirmed on Reddit that the CSW firmware is actually in beta testing so it cant take much longer and I personally would expect a firmware around May.

Of course if you are tired of waiting you can always ask the webshop support about those things, thats ssomething I dont know if they would still take it back or not if its unused.

• Here it is April 15 and I tried to do the same with my BME and it is now bricked. Did support ever give you any way to solve this issue?

I also bricked by McLaren GT3 trying to update the firmware with this same driver (should have just left it alone since it was working)

Now I'm down two wheels and having to use my F1 wheel for everything if I want to have some buttons. Bummer

Thanks.

• It appears that this is such a stinking mess that no one really cares to comment any more! A little help or at least a response to Support emails would be appreciated. Keith Griffall

• So, I hate to be rude but did everyone at Endor or Fanatec or whatever go home and turn the lights off. No response from support, general contact or on this forum since April 14 emails. I still have two wheels which have been destroyed by updating firmware from this driver and no one at Fanatac North America seems to care or be on top of it.

I have been a customer for many years and even though I know there is a pandemic and everyone is working from home I would expect there to be some kind of response to inquiries even if in a form letter type email.

Who is out there????

• edited April 2020

Well, Hallelujah!

After days of trying to use the P_BME Boot Loader file kindly posted in this forum I gave it one last shot and after 22 tries (yes, logged them) and various levels of success (from 1% to 77% flashed) I decided to go borrow back the Podium Hub I had bought for my son and changed out all the hardware to that Hub and wouldn't you know it, success on the first try. I now have an up to date Porsche wheel, apm, and BME and even the ITM part is working as intended.

Lessons learned:

1. Fanatec support is having a hard time at the moment and isn't responding to anything it appears.
    2. Even a Podium Hub that appears to be working in all respects might be a problem in communicating with the BME module.
    3. The ITM is very nice to have and and works well in R3E which is the only game that I have tried it in. You can also get the same information from a remote dashboard like "SimHub" which is free and works without any drama. (Make sure to donate to the author though)
    4. The P_BME module is very nice and the buttons are handy and looks "very cool" on your rig but obviously needs software tweeks to make it more seemless of an update process. I'm sure Fanatec is working hard on it but with so many variances in Hardware between PC and Console and different bases it might be just too much to make it work easily.
    5. Fanatec needs to step up there communication and Customer Support. I'm happy with the hardware which I have owned since the first version of the Clubsport Base and used each new version as it came out. Software, not so much.
    6. Finally, I still can't update my McLaren GT3 wheel and it is as dead as a doornail. I really need a boot loader file for it or otherwise some other way to make it work again. Don't try to upgrade the wheel firmware for this wheel from what you may already have working !!!!!
    7. The new version 1.24 of Fanalab works well and really makes the wheel feedback work much better. At least in R3E. Thanks for keeping that software upgrade going Fanatec.
    8. Good Luck to all and especially to Fanatec. Hopefully they will get past this and get back to technical support that is actually that. Having a single Software Download section of there website would go a long way toward doing a better job!
  • Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

Hi Keith,

sorry for the late response and that you also didn't get an answer from support. As you said already it's difficult times and you can imagine lots more people using their stuff and having questions about them at the moment in addition to that. You can be sure that no one did go home and turned the lights off, all are incredibly busy, trying their best.

Your finding about the PHUB and BME sounds interesting, do you remember if firmware V2 was installed on both PHUB? Could be either it isn't up to date or the unit is defective.

Regarding your McLaren issue, did you try using an older driver like 335 or 346 to downgrade all firmware versions and then trying to flash the McLaren again? This helped one of our testers to get the McLaren updates working again. If this doesn't help I guess only support can help you.

• Thanks Marcel and I know that it is a stressful time for all and that you are doing your best! As you mentioned, a lot more people are home and stressing the workload for those of you who provide entertainment products so I do understand. Just a bit of frustration coming out and nothing personal. Fanatec and all of you working on the products are in a difficult situation because you have so many new pieces of equipment that have many variations of hardware and software so I know it is hard to sort through the issues and deal with all of the possible causes.

After making the ITM work it is worth the frustration and you have done a good job on implementing the screens and the info it provides.

As for the McLaren issue:

1. Both of the P_Hubs are FW: version 2 - I can't tell you for sure that changing the Hub was what made the upgrade go smoothly (maybe I just got lucky) but evidence would suggest that was the case. Both Hubs work fine and perhaps it is just the USB C connection that has a bit of trouble. I tried every other suggestion before changing the hubs so I would assume that was the problem.
    2. I did try to downgrade firmware to get the McLaren to work but when I did it still seems to recognize it as the Clubsport F1 V2 wheel. I can try again but just so you know, your hardware doesn't really like to go backwards on the FW and I'm a little afraid of Bonking the whole base and motor if I keep playing around with flashing firmware. Everything works except for the McLaren wheel so I can live with that until I find a better solution if that is what needs to happen.
    3. Is there another way to re flash just the FW for the McLaren wheel? or can you send the hex file just for that wheel so I can see if I can force that to be flashed?
    4. How would I contact support directly? They don't seem to be getting the request through the website or they are just overwhelmed and aren't responding at all. I would think there would be an auto reply at least.

Thanks again and I appreciate how difficult it is to deal with this situation so stay safe and I hope you get your customer issues taken care of as soon as you can. I am a satisfied customer, just a bit frustrated at times. If you ever need help in putting together a web site that would work better for tech support or customer support just let me know. I'm glad to help for free! It could be more direct and simpler so that you would have less back and forth between you and customers. A forum probably isn't the best way to deal with it.

Sincerely, Keith Griffall

• Finally back to Normal Marcel, Thanks!

UPDATE:  April 22, 2020

Solved all issues regarding Firm Ware updates.

1. P_BME now works fine with Driver 356 and ITM is active in LCD panel.

Solved by changing to another Podium Hub and using the BME BootLoader.exe file uploaded through a user on this forum. Thanks for that. I had troubles doing the flash update with the Podium Hub I had it connected to and each time (approx. 35 tries) the firmware update would error out between 1%-77%.  After changing to another hub it updated the firmware on the first try. Both hubs had version 2 of the FW and both appeared to work just fine. Perhaps there was a small problem with the USB-C connectors but both hub send and read the ITM information just fine.

2. Solved McLaren GT3 wheel problem by using a Clubsport WB Ver 2.5 (which I also have) to update the McLaren Wheel Firm Ware using Driver Package 311 on the CSW 2.5 base. It saw the wheel correctly and did an immediate firmware update to version 25.  At that point I put the McLaren wheel on the DD2 base using Driver Package 356 and it updated the Wheel firmware to Version 30.

All things Solved and happy but still not sure what happened on the original firmware update. Perhaps user error although I can't be sure since I thought I was following the directions closely. Glad it is working and Driver 356 seems to be fine with all my wheels and in different games,(R3E-ACC-AC-RF2-AMS2).

PC- Win 10 DD2 Wheelbase, Porsche RSR wheel with BME, F1 V2, McLaren Gt3, Podium Hub, Fanatec Shifter and HandBrake.

• Hi Keith

You seem like a very pleasant and helpful person, so I would like to ask a favour of you:

If possible, could you please post the actual steps (as well as tips and tricks) you performed to upgrade the v356 driver and firmware on your wheelbase (base and motor), the Hub and BME?

I got the Podium Racing Wheel F1 bundle (the DD1 PS4 version) and the first time I tried the force feedback started acting weird and the fan ran 100% even after motor calibration. The second time upgraded, after they repaired my wheelbase , my wheelbase was bricked and the wheel lost the connection to the wheel base. The second time I received it, they had replaced it with a new since they couldn't repair it nor could they find the root-cause. I got the new wheelbase back with driver v347 which I successfully downgraded to v346. But I really want to upgrade to v356 to be able to fully utilize my Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R with BME and ITM (even though I promissed my self I wouldn't upgrade before they release a non-beta driver that supports the BME).

I am using a very old PC (10 years or so) with Windows 10 Home and the DD1 is connected through a USB2.0 port on the pc,

I would really like to get the BME to work in any game, on pc and ps4.

I use my Fanatec for ACC and AMS2 on PC. GT Sport, F1 2019 and Wreckfest on PS4 (and ACC when it's out in June).

Be safe and remember to do a lot of simracing.

Best regards, Jacob

• Hi Jacob,

I just saw your post and am happy to help if I can. It will take me a bit to go through it and make sense so give me until tomorrow and I will try to make the upgrade as clear as possible. The actual driver seems to be working just fine and is certainly an upgrade over the old drivers but it might not work perfectly the first time so we can work through it until it is done. I use PC only so I'm not really much help in using it on a ps4 but I assume the wheel will work fine on that if you get it upgraded using the PC.

Is there a particular reason you use the PS4 for F1 2019 rather than the PC? You did say the PC is older which might be the reason but just wondering. If you haven't tried it and want to see how your PC handles RaceRoom Racing Experience (R3E) you can download it for free and just try a few of the cars. It seems to be easier on PC's than some. ACC is pretty tough to run on an older PC so you might like R3E if you give it a shot and If you can run ACC then you can certainly run R3E.

I will get back to you soon on the upgrade process.

• Hi Keith

I really appreciate your time and effort on this, I'm sure it can help a lot of users in this forum too. The reason for using my Fanatec DD on PS4 was due to all my friends only do simracing on console. I have had some pretty good years with a local simracing community doing races in Project CARS 2. I then shifted to GT Sport which is a really great game. By Christmas, my wife got me the F1 2019 and Wreckfest for PS4 so I have plenty of opportunities in those games. I'm still saving money for a PC, but still even though my current PC is very old it managed to run ACC with very low settings in single player and AMS2 as well. For now, doing simracing on my PS4 is way more fun, now that my PC is very outdated. But it's still good to have it around for doing firmware upgrades and reading the Fanatec forums.

I'm truly looking forward to your complete guide on the driver/firmware upgrade. I know that Marcel Pfister of this forum has done a good job on the official beta upgrade guide, but I think it will be very handy to have the guide from an end-user too who actually experienced doing it.

• edited April 2020

Hi Jacob.

Here is a first draft of a "Simple Installation Guide"

It is a little more detailed than the directions by Marcel but his directions are also useful. Please let me know what is unclear so that I can explain it better.

Simple Guide to Upgrade to Beta Driver 356 for Direct Drive Bases only -- with the Porsche 911 GT3 R Steering Wheel - with the P_BME (Podium Button Module Endurance)

LINK to Pictures of Install Screens : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1u6-S9atFlZLXRJMjREMGctX1U

PLEASE NOTE: Driver 356 is the latest driver for Podium DD Bases only!! --ClubSport 2.5 bases will hopefully be included in the next driver.

First you must download the Driver Package file from the Fanatec Website or the forums which will have a link.  The file which has Driver 356 plus the Fanalab V1.24 beta is called:  https://fanatec.com/media/archive/78/37/e1/Button-Module-Endurance-Software-Package-v1-2.zip

Download this Zip file and using a zip file manager program or just use windows and you will extract 2 folders and a text file of instructions.

The folders are 1. Fanatec Driver 356  2. Fanalab v1-24 beta and the text file is Instructions.txt (a german text file is also included)

After you have the folders extracted and on your computer (I usually extract them to my desktop so that I can find them easily) you are ready to begin the upgrade.

Step by step upgrade:

1. Installing the driver package:  This is simply installing the driver files which come in the first folder. When you open this folder you will find two files which are the installation files for either a 64 bit computer (most common now) or a 32 bit system. If you don't know which system you have you can open the Control Panel App on your computer and then click on the "system" icon and it will tell you what windows you have and also the System Type which will be 64 or 32 bit.

2. Double Click on the proper driver file which will probably be Fanatec_64_driver_356.msi  This will open a some window which says Welcome to the FANATEC driver Package Setup Wizard. Click on "Next" and it will install all the necessary files. These are simply the files needed to upgrade each component to the latest driver package. They are in a folder on your C drive under Program Files-Fanatec-FanatecWheel. No need to go look but that is what it installs.

You will also note that it installs a program shortcut on your screen that is your "Fanatec Wheel Property Page" ( you would already have this if you had drivers installed previously)

3. Put your Porsche GT3 R steering wheel on your DD base and then turn on the wheel base. 

4. Open the "Fanatec Wheel Property Page" by double clicking on the icon on your home screen.  This opens up the Windows Game Controllers window. You should see two listings for FANATEC Podium Wheel Base DD1or2. This is normal to see two and they are both the same for our purposes.

5. Click on the first listing for the wheel base and it will open up the Actual Fnatec Wheel Properties page and you should see your Podium Button Module Endurance shown on the opening page. If this isn't the case then there is a problem and it needs to be fixed first. If you have a different wheel installed on the base then it will show that wheel.

6.Now we need to upgrade the drivers. You will see 5 tabs across the top of the page. Go to the last tab which says "update" and click on it. This is where you will upgrade each of the Firmware(the small program that is flashed to the actual wheelbase, motor and steering wheel contol board) for each of the components. You should see the Version Numbers: on the left side of the screen. Make a note of each so that when you upgrade each firmware you will know that the version changed. You should have the PC Driver:, Wheel Base Firmware, Wheel Base Motor Firmware, Steering Wheel Firmware, and Podium Hub Firmware. 

The versions we want to end up with are driver 356, wheel base 670, wheel base motor 38 steering wheel 9 and podium Hub 2.

7. Start from the top and update each firmware before moving on to the next. After each update you should check to make sure the version number is what we want to end up with from step 6.  To Update each you will click on the Update bar next to the firmware listing. It will pop up a small box that says start firmware updater. Click on it and it will go to the next box which will Tell you to click the Connect Button (top left button) when you do that it will connect to the wheel and be ready to flash the firmware. Go to the top right button and "Flash Firmware". This will take a few moments and then it will end with a message of success in the Message Log at the bottom of the box.  Then you will need to Calibrate the Wheel Center.

8. Close the Wheel Base Updater and Confirm the exit. Your Wheel will have restarted and be flashing CAL in the screen. To Calibrate the center you should re-open the Fanatec Wheel Property Page (click on the Icon again) Go to the second Tab "Settings" and press on the bar at the bottom which says Wheel Center Calibration after you center the wheel (top of wheel up and in the center)  If you have a Shiter attached you will also need to calibrate that with the button that is labled "H-shifter Calibration". Put the gear shift where it says and click next for each gear. 

9. You will now go to each Firmware update and go through the same process. When you update the Wheel Firmware make sure the Firmware Updater see your wheel as the Button Module Endurance.  

10. After all updates are done take the wheel off the motor and on the Settings Tab do the "Motor Sensor Calibration" which is a simple calibration by the motor without any input by you. The Steering Wheel must be off the motor to do this.

11. Make sure that all versions of the firmware under the "Update" tab are correct and we are on to the next step.

INSTALL FANALAB Beta 1.24

1. Go to the second folder that you extracted called "FanaLab_v1-24_beta and double click the FanaLab_v1-24_beta.msi file.  This will install the latest beta version of FanaLab on your computer.

NOTE::  FanaLab must be running in order to make the ITM work on the wheel.  

2. Close FanaLab and run the file "Enable_ITM.re" file which is in the same directory.  This little file will install some necessary code in your Windows Registry File so that ITM works properly.

Now you should restart your computer to make sure all the files are read properly before you try to see if ITM is working.

Turn on you computer, restart your wheel and you should see a small ITM in the bottom right side of your wheel lcd screen.

There is a PDF file that is the Podium Button Module Endurance Quick Guide which shows how to make the ITM screens appear on your wheel and/or on your base screens.  Same Quick Guide that came with the Steering Wheel   Link:  https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/3f/95/95/P-BME-QG_print_07_MO.pdf

Basically you need to Press and hold the tuning button while rotating the FunkySwitch(D Pad button on the right side of the BME) left or right to scroll through the screens.

I will try to add some pictures to help you along with this process.  PLEASE let me know if something isn't clear and I will make sure to fix it so there is no confusion about what to do.  

• edited April 2020

Sorry but I can't seem to get rid of the previous post of the "Simple Installation Guide".

Here is a PDF version that is enhanced and corrected. Ignore the previous post. It has a number of errors.😣

Link to Download the Guide or you can get it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kHFN8ARuEqMekSAMNC_mJP7wkPTinoud

Let me know if I need to make changes and if it helps. Thanks, Keith

• Wauv, just wauv. What a great job you did Keith!!! Unfortunately I have a busy work schedule so sometime this week or the weekend I will have a thorough look at it and compare with my own notes. If I get the time and guts, I will try the upgrade myself. Keep up the good work. At anyone else reading this: fill in any gaps and let Keith know if you had some experience with this, to share it with him.

• PC Driver: 356

Wheelbase FW: 670

Wheelbase Motor: 38

Porsche Wheel FW: 9

Podium Hub FW: 2

Base: DD1

Rim: Porsche GT3 R

Hello guys. I have just received my DD1 with the GT3R wheel , installed all the latest drivers & i have updated the firmwares, but unfortunately I am experiencing an odd bug with my BME LED's. One of the flag LED's on the left side of the wheel stays bright on all the time, ruining the whole experience of this amazing wheel.

In addition to that, the REV LED's are also offset to the right

Tried unplugging/re plugging everything, re-installing software + re-flashing the firmware on both the Podium HUB & the P BME. but with no luck. The problem still persists😥

Do you think it's a firmware issue, or should i send the wheel to RMA?

Attached, you can also find a short video showing the LED Test outcome

Thank you in advance!

RD

• That is an odd one. I assume you have contacted Support with the issue and video and I'm sure they would have a better idea. It would appear to be a hardware failure to me but it might also be a software glitch that could be corrected without an RMA. Unfortunately I think that could only be answered by Tech Support at Fanatec.

Have you tried it actually in a game and it does the same? I would try to run it in a game that is known to work correctly and see if it still does the same thing. This is a short video of what the LED test looks like on my wheel which seems to be working correctly.

• You guessed right. Fanatec support suggested me to do a RMA, that would solve the issue 100%.

However, I am still pretty much inclined to say that I'm facing more of a software/firmware bug than a hardware issue. Nonetheless, I will send the wheel for the RMA suggested, but I'm pretty much scared about how much time could this take, since I'm mid-season in a weekly simracing Championship with good chances for a podium at the end of it.

Tried playing in AC/ACC/iRacing, doesn't change the behaviour of the LED's

• Sorry to hear that. It is a bit of a pain and certainly takes time! Wish I could offer a suggestion but I really have no idea. Since the actual lights seem to work I would think it is software related but have no idea how to fix it. Good luck with the Championship and you can win without the stinking lights😁

• Any updates when the PBME will get CSW compatibility?

• I hope someone can help me out:

I have a fanatec podium and purchaced the Porche wheel. Part of the installation procedure is:

1-Update driver to 356 after the update everything still works.

2-Update the firmware to 670 after the update everything still works.

3-Update wheel motor from 30 to V38. After the firmware update the Podium is bricked and doesnt respond to anything. The power button isnt even working. Restarting by disconnecting the power cord is the only option. When booting the podium is stuck again.

The only solution at that moment is to install the 346 driver and boot the podium into recovery mode and flash the old firmware back.

The Porche wheel and button module are recognized and working untill I install the motor firmware v38

• Questions:

1. Are you updating the Motor Firmware with the wheel attached? If so then try to update the Wheelbase FW to 670, then center the wheel again. Then try to update the motor FW without the wheel attached.
    2. What FW version is the Podium Hub Firmware? It should be ver. 2 but really you should be able to update the motor FW first so I don't know that it matters.
    3. Try to Delete the motor calibration first before updating the FW. I have no idea if this would help but I guess you have to try everthing.
    4. When you say that you update the motor firmware from 30 to V38. Does the version in the Wheel Properties 'update' tab say the the motor FW is now V 38. If so, then did you delete the wheel calibration and then re-calibrate it before you attach the Porsche wheel with the BME?

Not sure if that will help but good luck and let me know what happens. - Keith

This discussion has been closed.