Difference between Podium, ClubSport and CS wheels on a Podium wheelbase?

edited September 2020 in Steering Wheels

Hi,

I am about to make the jump into the Fanatec world and I am struggling with the different wheels.

My intention is to get the Podium Racing Wheel F1 PC/ PS4 bundle. First I will use it on a PS4 and then later on a PC when I will upgrade my PC (hence why I am choosing the PC/PS4 compatibility of the DD). In this bundle the Podium Racing Wheels F1 is already included.

I would like however to also have "regular/ GT" wheel but I am struggling to understand if I can only use the Podium wheels with my Podium wheelbase or if I can also use the Clubsport or the CS wheels. And if yes, then what are the differences between a Podium wheel and a Clubsport or CS wheel when used with the Podium wheel base on a PS4 (or on a PC)

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• You can use every Steering Wheel across the board with your DD Wheelbase.

The main differences between Podium, Clubsport and CSL is choice of materials, build quality and features.

• When you connect a "low cost" Wheel to your DD1 it can happen that it switches the Power back as it happens when you disconnect the torque key.

The new CSL WRC Rally Wheel for example will trigger this behaviour automatically!

• To add to this,

When you buy a PS4 compatible base, my understanding is that all available wheels work on it in both PC and PS4 mode.

To use with an Xbox, you need an xbox specific wheel.

My understanding is this comes down to licensing - PS4 compatiblity comes with the base you purchase, regardless of wheel, whereas xbox compatibility comes with the wheel you purchase, regardless of base.

Your choice of the PS4 version of the DD1 is the best possible choice - that wheelbase will work with PC and PS4/PS5 out of the box, and if you buy any xbox wheel, you'll get xbox compatiblity as well.

For your desire for a GT rim, so long as you get the PS4 version of the DD1, all of them will work on PC and PS4.

Note that many of the wheel bundles include electronics + a wheel rim, and spare wheel rims are sold separately for much cheaper (typically $129-149) (noteable exceptions are the BMW rim, the Porche 918 rim and all F1 style rims)

• L MaddenL Madden Member
    edited April 7

I am also new to this range, can I ask about older V1 rims with CSL DD Base like a Clubsport f1 rim ect... I'm guessing they will but I just don't want to buy one if they don't work properly thanks