Response to complaint and investigation on breach of consumer laws and customer support

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to respond to my previous discussions posted on this forum about my frustrations about Fanatec customer support. As you may have been aware, I was quite vocal and angry about Fanatec's approach to global customer support for many reasons. I also posted that I had taken the matter to Fair Trading Australia, as that's where I'm based. As a result Fair Trading did contact Fanatec and also contacted me thereafter with outcomes.

My DD1 wheel based was replaced, but this was more so due to the delay Fanatec felt there would be in waiting any longer, which was a good decision if feel. Consumer laws do vary from country to country, but I was advised I was correct, in that if due to the ongoing issues that appear to be encountered with a newly developed product and in this case (Podium Wheel bases) that a company is in fact in breach of our consumer laws and as a result consumers have a right to a refund. In this case, I was happy to have received a new replacement. I do like the Fanatec products and do want to continue supporting them, as long as clear customer service is in place. To me, if you purchase a high quality or priced item, 50% of the buying decision is based on the customer support or customer experience.

As part of the above, I wrote to Fanatec Support about my frustrations and recommendations for customer's best interest, as per extract below:

"For consideration of customers (suggested recommendations):

• Improve support to include, Online Chat support and Phone support to reduce wait times for response on a global basis.
  • Notification of updated firmware/drivers to all customers via direct mail or email, or simply updating the web pages under “Downloads” (currently old firmware and drives are still present). At present, it is near impossible to find the most recent firmware unless you frequent the forum on a daily basis, which busy professionals like myself do not have the time to do.
  • Initiate a customer feedback program to monitor satisfaction, dissatisfactions and resulting areas for improvement".

I am pleased to advise that Fanatec Support responded with the following and in respect to Fanatec and confidentiality, I have just copied and pasted the key points made by them below (and I should point out that this was also outlined to me by The Department of Fair Trading Australia) and the response appears promising:

Having said all the above, I am disappointed the CEO didn't respond, which I feel customer service should be the top of any agenda and concern.

Fanatec response:

"In regards your suggestions for improvements, I also can confirm, that we are actually in the process of realizing everything you suggested at the moment. I also hope for our customers and also for us, that the expansion of the support department will be fulfilled soon. A live chat also was available in the past with the old workshop and hopefully will be implemented in the new workshop again soon"

I'm sure the above promise of upgraded support may now be a little delayed due to the more important life changing issues we all face with Coronavirus, but I do hope Fanatec live up to these changes.

To all my fellow sim racers, I am sorry if my rants were much too much and I hope you understand. I am always striving to provide very frank and honest feedback and to lobby for consumer rights and a better level of customer service, but without the need to be disrespectful or rude.

Comments

• Interesting. Thanks for the update. It does sound promising. Cheers.

• I too am having really bad customer service from this company. I guess they don't have "phone tech support"? If they do, please share their number??? I am USA-based and have, what I'm sure, is a very basic problem but I cannot get anyone to respond in a timely-manner... 1st-time Fanatec customer and so far, not impressed.... :(

• Hi Doug, yes and I believe phone support, or at least online chat support is one thing they will bring on at some point. They did have it before, for a limited time during the day, but not sure what happened to it.

It would certainly reduce wait times and benefit both customers and Fanatec staff.

• Payed £800 for my setup tried every way to make my 5 seconds a lap slower throttle pedal work correctly, contacted customer service countless times and just continued back and forth for ages ..one suggestion from fanatec is that real cars do lose speed on full throttle,, not on f1 cars i said. And explained i had held several world record lap times on a thrustmaster and know how a car works,, in the end i packed it all away and its now in the corner of my room and the thrustmaster is now back on my rig with my trusty t3pa pedal and back to 5 seconds a lap quicker again.