Assetto Corsa - CSW V2.5 Oscillation

Hello everyone,

I am having some wheelbase troubles and would love to hear from you and how I might be able to resolve it!

Background

Earlier this year, I purchased the CSW V2.5, V3 Pedals & 918 Wheel. I had my fair share of problems, but all were eventually resolved through the help of forums and friends (oscillation being caused by previous logitech LUT, deleted it and all fixed)

And since Covid I have had the blessing to learn how to drift, I was enjoying it soo much I decided last week to purchase the V2Shifter & Handbrake.

So what's the problem?

Well, once I had them mounted, the instructions of course recommended getting the latest drivers & firmware, I initially shrugged it off, but once I couldn't get the handbrake to detect I decided to go and grab them. I installed V365 and Fanalabs (Had not installed fanalabs originally) and all was great. Just set them up as desired in AC and all was perfect.

This did reset all of my 5 custom pre-sets, which annoyed me but knew I could probably remember them eventually when testing in game.

I then decided to move onto drifting, I first realised that they have changed [DRI] from -5 to +5 and made it -5 to +3 (not sure why?) and it quickly became apparent my oscillation was back big time.

When tweaking my [DRI] there is a huge amount of oscillation at +1 through to +3, however -1 through to -5 it becomes much more natural.

This is a problem as anyone that has tried drifting realises how heavy and sluggish the car feels when not using a positive [DRI], it is also the entire reason I made the latest purchase so I am eager to fix this or send them back (Really don't want too do this, I know this is a software issue with a software resolution)

Additional Information to help narrow things :]

Originally used PC Driver: 328

Updated to PC Driver: 365

Rolled back to driver 328, no change.

Oscillation occurs

Oscillation disappears

Have tweaked [FEI] from 0-50-100, no change.

Turned [DPR] from OFF to 100, no change.

Experimented with CM Damper Gain whilst [DPR] is OFF, no change. (Both boxes were ticked, now unticked since it didn't help).

I have not experimented with Fanalab Dampening Overlay, since I don't really understand what I'm looking at.

Anything you could contribute, would really help since I'm struggling.

Sorry for making it a long one!

• Myles

Comments

• Just installed driver 380, improvement on [DRI] -1 but still the same rapid oscillation +1 - +3. :/

Also feels more aggresive on the centre/return than previously, but this could be due to me trying to find my previous nice spot/setup.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Myles,

A few thoughts:

"When tweaking my [DRI] there is a huge amount of oscillation at +1 through to +3, however -1 through to -5 it becomes much more natural."

This is the expected behaviour. Positive values of 'Advanced' Drift Mode (introduced with the V2.5) add artificial acceleration and are not realistic. If you use positive values of Drift Mode, then you are forcing unnatural behaviour, and essentially forcing oscillation. The negative values add a damper (pretty much the same as the NDP setting on the Podium wheel bases), which helps to slow the rotation speed in a natural way. This is why our Recommended Settings are always negative DRI values for the V2.5 and CSL Elite WB+/V1.1. It's also the reason why the newer firmware only goes to +3. The higher values were unusable/pointless without adding another form of damping (some sims offer a separate damper).

"This is a problem as anyone that has tried drifting realises how heavy and sluggish the car feels when not using a positive [DRI], it is also the entire reason I made the latest purchase"

I don't agree with this. You should be able to find the right behaviour somewhere between -5 and Off.

The Drift Mode name is misleading. It is a carry-over from older wheel bases which had higher levels of mechanical resistance and/or electrical damping. These older models only had positive Drift values, and the purpose was to overcome this resistance with acceleration, which did help with drifting in some cases (depending on the game). In our current belt-driven wheel bases, the motor/motor driver and mechanism has very low resistance, and in most cases the motor is too fast, which is why negative values had to be introduced.

You shouldn't feel like you need to use positive DRI settings to get value from the purchase of a V2.5 base. You are experiencing the advantages of the improved motor and motor electronics with the negative values too, as well as 'off', which was impossible on the older models.

If you find DRI -1 or Off to be too slow, then you should turn up the overall FFB, both in the Tuning Menu and in the game. It shouldn't feel too slow, but this is partly personal preference, and also varies significantly by car. But if you really want to use positive values of Drift Mode (not recommended), then you may be able to tame the oscillation with the speed-sensitive damper feature in FanaLab.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Myles EllerbyMyles Ellerby Member
    edited October 2020

Hi Dominic,

Thanks very much for your input, yes I have spent some time tweaking and come to the conclusion that -1 {DRI} is very close to my previous setup. And from reading other previous comments & yours on this, oscillation is inevitable on belt driven system.

I have developed a new issue, (Power brick seems to have gone bad? The blue light is on, I proceed to turn the WB on and the blue light dips, this causes the WB to 'click' as if it is beginning the calibration but immediately turns off. I initially thought this was an overheating problem but now think it is more crucially the power brick.)

This has been sent off in a support ticket and I appreciate your help on the above post.

• I have everything at the recommended settings. I'm curious about the range of the FOR setting though. Is it safe to crank it up to 110 or 120? This is considering I have the FFB as high as I can in game without clipping and 100 FF on the CSW. Thanks.

• edited January 2021

I have the same setup and same problems.

Big time oscillation, i have to lower the dri value, and this is where the car becomes uncontrollable. I get snap oversteer which i cannot catch with countersteering. Drifting is out of the question.

There many videos of people drifting in Assetto Corsa, most of them are using Thrustmaster wheels, that seem to rotate at proper speeds and have no oscillation issues.

Fanatec needs to resolve this, it is a shame having a superior product that does not deliver as expected.