v3 damper kit slack

Hi i have the damper kit for the v3's, one thing i noticed is there's a bit of slack before the pressure engages, anything above setting 2 it's very noticeable like a thump when you hit the pedal hard.

is this normal or is there a lack of fluid in my kit?

Thanks

Comments

• Austen ChenAusten Chen Member
    edited December 2020

did you set the preload before tightening the damper?

https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/ff/92/c2/QG-CSP-V3-DK_Web.pdf

• yes i installed it how is recommended, i also tried it screwed tighter so the pedal moved a little and looser too, all were the same

• What about the preload on the brake pedal itself? I've had my damper for a few years and I can't say I've had the same issue.

I think I have it set at around 2 for the brake pedal and maybe 4 or 5 on the damper since I wear shoes.

• i use it with the soft bpk bumpers, this has nothing to do with the actual bumpers it's in the damper kit itself

• Around a month ago I purchased and installed a damper kit shipped from the US distribution. When it arrived, I operated the unit by hand before installing it and noted that there was maybe 1/4 inch (?) of low-resistance at the start of the damper's travel regardless of what firmness was selected. Concerned, but thinking perhaps this slack would be taken up when fully assembled or by an adjustment, I installed the unit on the throttle. I found that while it definitely has a soft spot initially, it does seem to smooth out with use.

To me, this suggests there is some air in the system that ends up being emulsified into the oil after some operation. Is this normal? No idea.

• Austen ChenAusten Chen Member
    edited December 2020

maybe try contacting support to see if the slack is normal when new.

I have two dampers on my v3, one new and one used, and I don't think mine did that. Or I just never noticed it before installing it. And I have no slack in my pedal travel atm.