How do I pay VAT for a delivery in the UK?

I have an order active that 'should' arrive fairly soon 🤞🏻 Am I right in thinking that the courier (UPS?) will contact me before hand to pay the VAT? If so, will that be by phone or email or what? As far as I know they don't have my phone number.

Comments

• You should receive an email from UPS with a link to pay your VAT.

The UPS tracking, once you have it, will also show the VAT payment request, status of where your parcel is, as well as when the VAT is paid etcetera.

• Thanks for this post as I wasn't aware there was a VAT charge to be paid. Is the VAT payment because of BREXIT ? Should I expect UPS to add a handling charge for the pleasure of the VAT transaction payment. Hoping delivery comes before Christmas, otherwise I'll need a plan B

• David BurkeDavid Burke Member
    edited November 2021

the price once you added everything to your basket should have reduced by around 15% as the german vat should have been taken off, then you'll get a bill from ups for 20% vat plus around £12 ups fees emailed to you.

Yep because of Brexit

• As I buy so many Fanatec wheels all the time I can make it easier if needed.

I buy the wheels to convert to USB for use on other systems, but it seems sensible to offer them in the UK where you are worried about the VAT and customs.

Sim Racing Machines. Fanatec Original Wheels

Just in case it helps.

Just to add to the previous post. German VAT is 19% so the price you pay Fanatec is 19% less than shown before the checkout. You will then be charged 20% VAT and the £12.50 broker fee by UPS. There are often delays with customs where Fanatec tend to miss of the country of origin.

But, yes the complexity is since Brexit. It's basically the same if you buy anything from the EU, it's now the same as buying from anywhere else in the world.

• Thanks for the update. My order is in the queue with availability date of Nov 12. Xmas/Birthday present for my son (&me). First time Fanatec customer hoping for a smooth transaction but I know these products are popular and there are supply chain issue globally.