Fanatec Driver 434 (Release Candidate) (previously 432beta) for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• After I read your comment I tried the same. 689 and 42 in F1 2021 on DD1. At first I thought it works, because even if I paused and resumed everything worked perfectly.

But after a while I tabbed out of the game and when i tabbed back in it felt very weird again. Not as bad as with 690 but it was not smooth and very harsh (still undriveable). So I tried 687 for the wheelbase with 42 on the motor but it was still the same.

After that i wanted to try 686 and 42 but when i downgraded the wheelbase the fans where running at 100% and i immedietly downgraded the motor to 40 because it didnt sound good and i dont want to destroy anything because the drivers are incompetible.

But I tried 686 and 40 together and everything worked again even if i tabbed out of the game.

I hope this helps to understand the issue better. If you need any further inrormation let me know.

• Maybe i schould describe the "new" problem better. You can feel it especially when turning the wheel. It is not smooth but feels like it turns in single steps.

Sorry for the bad description but i don't know how to say it better. (especially in english)

• According to Marcel’s recommendations I installed the new versions of the driver and Fanalab over the existing (4.29) ones, with the GT DD Pro 8nm connected and turned on in PC mode.

Everything went smoothly, and I was able to upgrade the firmware for everything without a single hitch (I appreciate that the firmware updater even asks to connect other wheels for updates, which worked flawlessly for the McLaren wheel).

My Clubsport V3 pedals already had 1.32, which I wish I had known before, because getting the USB connection under the mounted pedals is very difficult. I’m assuming it’s technically not possible to implement updating firmware for pedals through the wheelbase connection in general, or could this feature be added?

FFB remains amazing in all games tested so far:

PC:

ACC - pretty much the same, maybe a bit smoother

Dirt 2.0 - feels slightly smoother as well, but it’s really hard to say

PS5:

GT Sport - seems stronger/better, but I didn’t test it right before the update, I loved it before and I still do

Thought I’d share my experience here for other newcomers to Fanatec, who like me, might’ve been a bit deterred from an update, since everything already had been running very well.

Something I noticed on both the old and new drivers, but only on PC, is the input delay when using the thumbsticks and buttons, which is not present on PS5. Also, I pretty much run almost every game in PC compatibility mode, otherwise the buttons don’t work in the menus.

Thanks again to Marcel for quickly responding to my questions, my experience with Fanatec so far has been a good one!

• Hello again Maurice. . . I just wanted to update that I finally solved this problem after 9 months of trying to figure out what was going on. I tried everything I could think of, but then realized that the only racing sims that did not work with my wheel were those run via Steam. I reinstalled the Steam client yesterday, and no change. Then, on a whim, I right-clicked on the Steam icon and looked at the properties and saw that the box for "run as Windows 8 compliant" was checked (something I did not do myself). I unchecked that box, restarted the computer, and this morning was able to run a race on ACC with 20 cars, epic graphics, and not a stutter to be seen. Same with AC, Automobilista 2, and ETS2. Finally!

So, just FYI, leaving the Steam client as "windows 8 compatible" seems to not work well with Fanatec wheel drivers.

Thank you again for all your help and take care.

• That’s interesting, I’m wondering if that could also fix FH4 and FH5. Both crash for me with Steam, while FH4 runs with no problems on Game Pass (haven’t tried 5 there yet). Thanks for sharing!

• Just to know it in firmware 4 for wrc wheel there is a problem and a delay with the paddles. I needed to go back to firmware 2 .

• edited December 2021

I want to say i think FFB is really good with this.

DD2 with >>DRW 434 FW 690 FW42 iracing

Last question @marcel - it says the FANATEC uses 80mA where most other devices use 100mA is that on purpose?

i THINK fixed my connection issues using USB tree - to define what USB hubs where loaded too much take a look ,

i can recommmend everyone go get their USB stuff sorted with that software USB device Tree Viewer

And amazing work by you Marcel Pfister! respect!

Merry Christmas!

• edited December 2021

So I think I solved my FFB issues. I uninstalled my "beta" 434 package and grabbed the "release" version from the landing page of the website. I don't think there is a difference other than folder names? Anyway, after installing that release package, I also went through a full manual update to the wheel base(690) and Motor(42) as well just to be certain. That must have done something because everything feels much better than I was reporting earlier.

My guess is that with all the motor driver test betas going on with recent beta's and whatnot I may have inadvertently had something screwy setup? I was using v42 and v690 before, but I did not manually update them both when I first grabbed beta 434 and noticed the issues.

Anyway, I tested my DD2 both on Xbox with Comp. mode and PC in various sims and all feels much better. Thanks and happy holidays!

• Button module endurance issue.

I´ve update pc driver and hardware firmware with last updates and can´t update Button module endurance. It doesn´t showed on firmware manager as updatable option and doesn´t work.....

Fanalab SW 1.61.3

PC Driver 434

DD1 FW 690

Wheel Base FW 42

Podium Hub FW 6

Wireless Quick Release FW 6

• I tried to do the same. After short testing i had no problems with pausing and resuming the game. But tabbing out of the game still ruins the forcefeedback for me.

Same thing that I described earlier.

• I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, feel free to delete it if it's not. But since i am reading a lot about csl dds being bricked after trying to update firmware, can someone explain to me how to properly update the driver and firmware? I am currently using driver 429.

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited December 2021

Uninstall Fanatec Drivers via windows add & remove programs option

Reboot

Find and delete any remaining Fanatec files and folders

Connect base and turn it on

Install new Fanatec PC driver (Make sure nothing running in the background of PC)

Reboot

Connect base and turn it on

Run Fanatec Control Panel and update firmware (Make sure nothing running in the background of PC and not the time to watch any Youtube videos) Just walk away and come back later...

Reboot (after installation you will be prompted to reboot)

Run through all applicable calibrations (Wheel Center, Shifter, Ect.)

Good to go!

429 is all good... isn't it?

I would wait till this is revised under 'Downloads' tab, if you get my gist! 😉

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/wheel-bases/csl-dd-5-nm

• Yes everything seems fine with 429 thats why i am not sure about updating to the newest one. No need to fix something that isnt broken right? Thanks for the help!

• The downloads tab always has the latest official driver. So if you stick with that you should be fine.

• Only https://fanatec.com/driver is showing the very latest official driver and that is 434 since Wednesday.

• Merry Xmas all - not strictly true and slightly confusing if you look at the downloads tab for the Gran Turismo DD Pro it does indeed state driver 434 but if you look at at the downloads for DD1, CSL DD etc it lists 429 - having tried both (with a DD1 - PS4 version on PC) I would suggest staying with 429 as, as with previous comments the FFB is somewhat hit & miss and can lead to erratic wheel behaviour when using 434 (and 432 & 431).

• edited December 2021

That's because the download pages for the other bases could not be updated in time for christmas holidays as every product page has to updated by Hand one by one which is a massive work. Therefore only the official driver download page and GT DD PRO pages were updated, Rest to follow after holidays. GT DD PRO and CSL DD are basically the same so if 434 is good for GT DD PRO it's automatically also the best and recommended driver for CSL DD ;)

• AFAIK yes that's normal and also wasnt possible in the old driver UI.

You have to connect it to the Pedals to be able to calibrate it.

• edited December 2021

ok i deinstalled the control panel.

Then i installed, 423, then 429 and then 434, that works fine now (from 686 to 687 to 688).

Somehow it had not work coming from 415 (686) going to 433/434 (688)

EDIT: Im missing in myClubsport Steetring Wheel Formula Carbon Settings in the tuning menu on the wheel.I have only SEN, FF and brf, other settings are missing and i cant choose between profiles. Did something changed that i missed?

• I am not sure but maybe you need to choose the Advanced tunning option i order to unlock all the options in the tuning menu.

• But is it going to be corrected?

Doesn't make sense make an exclusive port on base and than not giving it full functionality.

• It's being looked into if this feature can be enabled next year.

• On your steering wheel it is the same that mine you have the 5.1 for the configurations as always and the 5 A for automatic which is the one you have marked so that is why you only get those options hit the lever so that you get the 5-1.5- 2,5-3,5-4 touch the jostyck and look for it.

• edited December 2021

No, he is in Standard Tuning Menu Mode where he only gets A_S (not A_5 btw, the 5 is a S for Setup) and C_S.

He just have to switch into Advanced Tuning Menu mode by pressing the Tuning Menu Button for 3 seconds while in the Tuning Menu and only then he has his S_1 to S_5 settings back.

• Ok thanks, will try that.

i can’t remember if I switched to advanced when I got the wheel, but in last 5 years I was in advanced Mode, after several firmware updates of the base that changed never. That’s why I was confused to see only 3 settings in tuning mode.

• The Advanced Tuning Menu is new and only exists for 2 months...😅

• edited December 2021

Confusing when you got all years the complete settings and then only three after an update 😅

This discussion has been closed.