Is the QR1 being discontinued when the QR2 releases? Wondering if I should be waiting to buy anythin

I'm itching to get some new sim hardware because why the hell not... but looks like the qr2 will probably be out in less than 6 months and I don't want to go buying something if I have to replace all of the mounts. I currently have the csl dd, the McLaren V2 wheel with a qr1 adapter, the formula V2 wheel which came with a qr1 and an older alcantara Forza P1 wheel that uses the old tension ring & bolt mounting mechanism, that works much better than that garbage plastic qr1 lite twisty thing. My McLaren V2 had that cheap qr1 and it got worn and sloppy. Luckily support gave me a discount on a metal qr1 adapter so I threw that junk away.

I'm considering getting the discounted Porsche kit. Which is the wheel, the endurance module and the xbox universal hub with qr1 mount. I guess there's not really a big concern if I plan to stick with this same csl dd base as it won't matter if the qr2 comes out. However, moving forward if I want to get a new wheel and they only come with the qr2 adapter that would force me to switch out my other wheels and I guess replace the mount on the CSL DD as well. Seems like there's not a lot of information and what is out there is a lot of conjecture at this point. I guess I should probably just wait but I would love to have a new racing wheel for the holidays, hoping to get some time off for racing. Oh and to see my family as well... 😜

Comments

• I would have thought that QR2 will be backwards compatible and whatever that uses QR1, you will be able swap over to QR2. But I presume with an additional replacement of certain other parts; like the aluminium stem on the CSL DD.

That was the sole reason I did not get the QR1 when I got the CSL DD and McLaren GT3 V2. Still using the original plastic lockring that it came with.

• Yeah I bought just the original McLaren V2 that came with the garbage plastic. And it was fine for a few months but now it has a bunch of slop at the center point or when you change direction from torque. you can feel it shift which has got to be really bad for the connection pins. as soon as I noticed that I immediately took the qr1 off of my formula V2 wheel and contacted fanatec. They offered to give me 30% off a qr1 replacement for the McLaren and I'm taking them up on that offer for now.

I should probably wait for the QR2 release before buying anything. Maybe I'll get a new chair and see if that holds me off LOL

• CSL DD. But most of my use of the McLaren was on the older CSL v2.5. I only had it on the CSL DD for about a week when I started noticing the sloppiness. In both cases I was running the force feedback at the same level that I am accustomed to so that shouldn't have been the reason for it to begin to fail. I'm guessing it was wearing on the CSL v2.5 and then just finally reached a point where I could feel the sloppiness when there was torque shift from left to right. It was very pronounced to the point that I thought something was wrong with the base. Until I swapped Wheels with my formula V2 which has the metal qr1 adapter. Since I didn't feel any slop there I swapped the adapter onto the McLaren and now it's perfect. Not sure how things will pan out and how long the qr2 will take to show up, so I'm going to take them up on the offer for a $70 metal qr1 replacement and throw that plastic junk away.

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited December 2021

I only have my CSL DD and the McLaren V2 is my only wheel, was just installed with the plastic QR and left there and never taken off so I guess there will be less wear.

• If you had no slop on the CSW 2.5 and immediately noticed slop on the CSL DD at the same torque, then the most likely cause is that the CSL DD shaft is slightly smaller due to manufacturing tolerances. There have been a few similar reports in this forum over the years.

• Good point there could be some tolerance differences. I don't think I noticed it right away. I think I was using it for about 2 weeks before I felt it but it may have been I was so excited to have the direct drive wheel I was not paying attention.

Either way I consider it a design flaw as they sell the devices together now and there are tons of reports everywhere including their own forums of this sloppiness. The whole idea of the turn to lock is great, but they should have replaced the little groove tooth that slides over the shaft with something made of metal, not cheap plastic.

• i saw a video (youtube) of someone using cling flim to wrap around the QR aluminium stem on the CSL DD to get rid of the slight movement.

• Could you share this video? I tried to drive with this "snapping" when steering with the wheel, but its so damn loud and sudden, feels really bad. They also offered me 30% off a metal QR, but i did not ask for this problem, and i feel its a bit unjustified if I have to pay for the solution.

• Yeah the fact that they're throwing this discount to everybody is a bit silly. They should recognize the problem and stop selling them. But strangely they're introducing new wheels that actually use this connector. This is going to haunt them indefinitely until they make a change.

I went ahead and ordered the metal replacement and won't look back.

The csl v2.5 and CSL DD are both 8 Newton meters of torque so this problem is going to be prevalent whether you're using a direct drive or belt system.

The fact is it's a cool idea using cheap components so the outcome is failure.

I highly recommend anyone using this garbage connector go ahead and spend the money since they're offering the discount and swap out to the metal qr1. That little bit of sloppiness when you switch direction with torque is not only jarring and annoying but it's eventually going to damage the pins on your wheel or the holes on the shaft of your wheelbase through wear and tear.