Steering wheel issue - Moving alone

Hello,

I just get my new DD Pro Base (8nm) with the CSL Load Cell and the McLaren GT3 Wheel. I updated all the hardware as per manual and all the hardware are now updated with the latest version.

Today I went to play on GT7 on my PS5, I made some tuning and went to the track, I have a big issue with the steering wheel and hope you can help me.

So my problem is simple, a some point of a race without me doing any thing the game receive the information that my steering wheels is completely turned (mostly to the right but also happened to the left), This can happened when I´m in a corner or even in a straight line.

Please if someone know what I can do I will really appreciated, very worry that is a hardware issue, in such case what a bad luck for my first purchase of Fanatec products

Comments

• Could it look like this?

• Hello,

I want to provide an update on my issue as today I´ve spending all day doing a lot of testing.

First I reinstalled all firmwares and updating the hardware. I also did it with another computer that was never used for Fanatec, everything is updated correctly with the latest drivers and firmware. After these steps I tested the wheels again in PS5 with Gran Turismo 7, the exact same issue happened. It looks like the base sends suddenly the information to the PS5 that the wheel is fully turned.

I did an extensive testing to understand more about the issue, I tried using similar games en PC and PS5, Assetto Corsa Competizione and F1 2022 were tested in both PC and PS5, I can confirm that the issue is only when used with Playstation, no issue at all when playing on PC. I also try to connect the wheel to the PS4 (Just to see if the issue could be related to my PS5) and the same issue appear when playing Gran Turismo Sport (Playing GT Sport on PS5 also do the same issue), so in definitive the issue is only with Sony Playstation (Both PS4 and PS5 and with different games) so the issue is definitely related to the Sony environment and not game specific. The issue is occurring in both mode (purple: PS5 Compatible and blue: PS5 native)

I also tried to use a different USB cable to connect the base to the PS5, just to be sure it wasn't a wiring issue, I can confirm that USB cable is not the issue.

As the issue is only when used on Playstation and not on PC, it sounds to me that it's not a hardware issue but more a software or native configuration issue.

• Just to understand.

Is it your steering wheel, the one you are holding in your hands, turning? Or is the virtual car of the game turning?

Does it happen after a few minutes or is it always there?

• Hello Alessandro,

I think a video will explain better the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkXSLPBI0IM

Also looks like the first time I start a session the issue will occurs after 5-10min of playing, then every 15scd-to 1min.

• edited October 2022

I believe it is EMI. Probably you close a circuit with the usb cable, while the other end of the ring could be the electrical ground itself.

If I remember correctly, you bought a USB isolator. Have you tried it? It work with playstations? If you were able to isolate the USB port, you would open the electric ring.

Another thing you might try, is to isolate the DD Pro from the cockpit, using plastic washers and electrical tape on the screws.

• That looks suspiciously similar to the issues I was having in the link which Alessandro posted above. In my case, it was happening only while playing on PC, but not on Xbox.

I definitely wouldn't discount the possibility that it could be a hardware issue, related to the physical positioning of your rig and the components attached to it, generating and reacting to EMI. (From your video, it looks as though your (metal) base is directly mounted to a metal stand, which makes me strongly suspect the possibility of EMI). These things are tricky to determine the exact cause of, and it seems everyone's case and symptoms are slightly different.

I would have a look through that thread and think about what might be easiest for you to implement: purchasing and attaching ferrite beads and/or a USB port isolator may be the easiest things to try. Best, but possibly more difficult/time-consuming would be to isolate the components of your rig with rubber washers and electrical tape so that no metal devices are directly touching metal. Attaching a ground lead should also work well, but I have not tried that personally, as I've 99% solved my problems by using the methods I just described.

Good luck, hope this helps. I know how frustrating this can be.

• Hello Gregg,

Thank you for your comments, I already ordered some ferrite beads, I don´t fully understand the way it´s works but if everything is connected the exact same way and at the same distance of everything when using in PC and Playstation I would think that same interference will occur in both PC and PS, so that why I don´t really think the EMI would be the root cause. Anyway will test the ferrite beads and see if anything change

• It could have something to do with your PC's USB ports somehow being better shielded due to something in their construction? I'm really not sure to be honest. I know, I shared your skepticism...I changed nothing with my rig other than plugging the wheelbase's USB cable into the PC or the Xbox. Xbox worked fine, PC gave me issues. 🤷‍♂️

• Gregg DomainGregg Domain Member
    edited October 2022

That's a good question. I know that the wheelbase gains no advantage from being plugged into a USB3.0 port on the PC, as it only utilizes USB2. Whether that directly relates to what these isolators are referring to as "Full Speed", I'm not entirely sure. But judging by the product descriptions, the less expensive one shown there says that it's USB2.0 compatible, so I'd guess that should be all you need...?

Worst case: it doesn't work, you return it to Amazon, and try something else.

• Updating -

Getting back from vacation full of hope with the USB Isolator and ferrite beads waiting for me... First I disconnected everything else than my PS5, Monitor and Wheel Base, all were connected to a direct wall connection (To eliminate the potential issue of power strip), I did some cable management to make sure no cable were touching each other or the chassis. I put 2 ferrite beads on each side of the USB Cables and connect the USB Isoltaor to the front USB port of the PS5 and the result wassssss....: Same issue :-( I tried with the other 2 USB Port of the PS5 but without luck.

I´m trying to sell my products for PC users here in Mexico, and requested refund to Fanatec, I don´t want to go to repair option as I will need to assume the shipping cost from Mexico to USA, then back from USA to Mexico and all the duties and Taxes (FYI getting the products from USA to Mexico cost me the first time almost 300 USD)

• I’m from Mexico and I know someone to repair them would you be interested in selling them?

• Issue has been fixed, but please share the contact it will be great to have !