Fanatec Driver 450 (Prev. Official Release) for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• It started happening again a day later so I guess it’s time to open a case.

• edited February 2023

Yes, that sounds like an issue with the (W)QR board so it's best to contact the support.

• I just searched the forums one last time before creating a ticket and found this: https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/25554/resolved-strange-movement-during-steering-gt-dd-pro

I checked and there was definitely a small gap like in that picture. I followed the instructions so now there is no gap and sure enough the base detected the wheel!

• when will be the new driver online on the officel fanatec page? I dont't want a beta driver also the new fanalab 1.69.4 driver when I look for an update in fanalab and also in the fanatec pc software then he said there is no update

I use driver 447 and fanalab 1.69.2 with no problems at all

• As I already answered to someone else last week:

Good question which currently nobody can answer.

There are technical issues to upload it to the website and there is no ETA when these issues with the website are resolved.

In the meantime: as there wont be any changes anymore... see it as unoffcially official already. It's not Beta.

• oke thanks

• I want to update my fanatec driver to version 450 what is the best method for that with Windows 11 now i use 447

• Uninstall driver 447, install driver 450, restart PC, open Fanatec Control Panel and follow the steps in the Firmware Manager to update the Firmwares by pressing the green update button.

• Oké thanks and do I disconntect the base till the driver is installed

• No!

It has to be connected and powered-on during the whole process.

• And with the install process from fanalab is it the same ? To the new version

• Maurice,

I still run Windows 10 - there’s no problem I need to be aware of updating to Windows 11 right?

• i have all the latest drivers and firmware and my dd2 if you are sitting parked and not holding the wheel it will shake and bounce so bad and rapidly rotate bk n fourth it's crazy like bad enough to break your hand or arm!!!!!!!

• After the update to W11 you will need to re-install the driver.

Otherwise nothing to be aware of.

• edited February 2023

Aha...

Which game? And most important, what are your settings?

With such little Information you cant expect any help...

This is normal for some games where the Damper is not working in standstill, nothing you could really do to prevent this game limitation for those games...

• Hi,

I got the following Problem:

I built a new PC and so Installed the latest driver 450 for my CSW V2 with the Formula V1 wheel.

I got no FFB in ACC so It thought I should go back to the last released driver. Somehow i ended beeing stuck in the bootloader mode with the base (constantly flashing blue). I installed the 447 driver and tried to flash the frmware but the process is getting stuck in the state as shown in the screenshot.

I can`t turn off the base or do anything else. Also the Fanatec Controll Panel wont recognise the base anymore. Is there anything I can do or did I just f* it up?

Thank you for any help.

• Thanks Maurice i have updated the driver and fanalab it works great

• Jesper BonJesper Bon Member
    edited February 2023

Hi with my DD2 if I go over 692 FW (driver 439/440) my base is rougher when turning the wheel in-game (way less smooth when turning, way more bumps like popping bubble wrap)

Which driver OR firmware shows the issue: (newer than FW692 and 42) this is up to 450 and its concurrent FW for base ect.

Which driver OR firmware does not show the issue: (FW692 and 42 and older)

I tried adding INT but does not get as good and i really have to dail it up (normally on 3)

• Wheel Base Model (product ID): Fanatec DD2
    • Steering Wheel Model (product ID): Using universal xbox hub
    • Driver Version: 439 at the moment which is smooth
    • Base FW Version: 691 (right now which is smooth)
    • Motor FW Version: 42 (right now which is smooth)
    • Wheel FW Version: -
    • FanaLab Version: not installed
    • Tuning Menu settings:
    • 1080 angle, 60% strengh, linear, NDP 16%, NFR 2%, NIN 8%, INT 3, FEI 100%
    • Driver/FanaLab installed on C: drive

• Heya, I apologize in advance for the lengthy post that I'm about to share but I'm at a loss trying to find some sort of solution to the issue I'm facing which all started with driver 450 and the related firmware. My wheel base (DD2) is 4 months old and the button module and podium hub are 3 weeks old.

This week, I started having issues with my podium button module where it would randomly lock up and stop being recognized by the fanatec control panel. It happened three times yesterday, twice during a 25 minute race, and once with iracing closed while I was browsing the web. The buttons on the button module completely stop responding and anything that was displayed on the screen or lights that were on get stuck. The control panel then shows "podium hub" in the 'steering wheel tab' after this happens.

I was on driver 450 with the 450 included firmware for everything and I thought it might be worth trying an older driver. I went down to driver 447 but there's no way to downgrade the firmware for the button module. I would think that the firmware for the button module should match the driver that it was released with, in this case 447 with button module FW 21..

So without being able to downgrade the firmware, and using driver 447, the problem was still occurring. I took it one step further and downgraded the firmware for the wheelbase and motor, and then uninstalled the driver, and reinstalled version 440 (the version that was within the recommended range with the firmware I chose from the downgrade menu).

Also somewhat indirectly related.. during the process of downgrading and/or upgrading drivers and firmware, my shifter calibration got completely screwed up where neutral was registering in the control panel as reverse and despite doing the calibration many times, the problem remained. Sequential shifting worked fine but the H-pattern seemed to be stuck showing reverse when the physical shifter was in the neutral position. When I downgraded the firmware and driver to 440, the shifter calibration that happens immediately after the 'update' actually did work and the h-pattern was back to normal.

When I upgraded back to 447 and ran the post-firmware-update shifter calibration, the problem came back. I tried this with both the formula v2.5 wheel and with a different wheel that has the button module installed and I noticed that while the control panel says 'place the gear shifter in neutral', the button module said 'place the gear shifter in reverse'.. It's as if the button module text was 1 step ahead of the text in the control panel. While the text mis-match didn't happen with the formula wheel, the calibration still didn't work properly until I went back to driver 440...

I'm about to do some more testing with the button module here, and I do have a case open with support but so far the suggestions from support were to double check the wheel base connectors, which I did, and then other random things like 'make sure windows is up to date, turn off your AV', etc.

Despite my own troubleshooting efforts and explaining this to support, they have yet to even mention anything related to drivers or firmware...

Ideally I'm looking to download all the relevant firmware for driver version 447, including button module firmware v21 so I can prove or disprove my theory that this might be software related.

I know the firmware is included with the driver, and they are likely stored in "C:\Program Files\Fanatec\Fanatec Wheel\fw" but I can't really make sense of any of the firmware names and I couldn't find any files mentioning which firmware is for what specifically.

Sorry again for the super lengthy post, but I'm just looking for any help or insight I can get at this point, ideally button module firmware v21.

Hardware and Current Software Versions

Running Fanalab 1.69.4 when I was using driver 450 w/ the accompanying firmware

Driver v440

DD2 Wheel base - v692

Wheel base motor - v42

Steering Wheel Hub - v6

Button Module - v22

Wireless QR - v6

Podium Button Module Endurance is attached to a Podium Hub

CSP v3, shifter, handbrake are all attached directly to the wheel base

Wheel base is attached directly to the PC with the provided USB cable

• edited March 2023

That sounds like a hardware connection Problem, unrelated to driver and firmware.

Sure you can try BME firmware v21 but I highly doubt that this can fix anything because the only change from v21 to v22 was one added screen pop-up message during motor calibration, Rest is exactly the same and such a message screen for sure cant cause disconnections. To get v21 just install Driver 447, open firmware Manager, check the checkbox for Manual update and click Update Button Module Endurance, then flash. Do not select any hex file manually, the v21 is already pre-selected!

Regarding the Shifter getting stuck in Reverse because of the calibration issue where BME wanted to calibrate R but Software wanted to calibrate N which then screwed everything up: which of the 2 Shifter ports in the back of the base are you using?

• edited March 2023

Another thing regarding the Shifter getting stuck in Reverse because of the calibration issue where BME wanted to calibrate R but Software wanted to calibrate N which then screwed everything up (which is the more important issue on Software side because your other issue is 99% a hardware issue), can you try the following and report back?

Re-install the newest driver and follow the instruction set on the OLED when it gets to the shifter calibration sequence as part of the install and using the bottom right confirm button to select the gears, setting R first (no N calibration).

It shouldn't do any calibration through the driver UI, so once you've calibrated all 8 gate positions following the instructions on the OLED, calibrate all 9 positions (including N) following the instructions and using the buttons on the driver UI.

• Adam FurtadoAdam Furtado Member
    edited March 2023

Thanks for this information, this is massively more helpful than the reply I got from support. It's good to have a better understanding of how the firmware manager / downgrade feature works, so I appreciate that.

I am starting to lean towards a hardware issue based on the information you provided but I was also wondering - Could fanalab be causing any of the issues I was seeing with the button module locking up?

Regarding the shifter calibration, I went through this process again last night after updating from driver 440 to 447 and also upgrading to the associated firmware for the wheel base and motor. I had my formula wheel hooked up this time and the calibration went properly. The screen on the formula wheel matched what I was seeing in the driver UI.

When I ran through the shifter calibration the other day and the issue presented itself for the first time, I had the podium button module / podium hub / wheel connected and I did follow the prompts on the OLED which started with R first while the text on the driver UI said neutral first. Basically ignoring the driver UI text and going through the process following the instruction on the OLED screen, pressing the confirm button after each shift position. After completing that calibration, I noticed that reverse was now being detected while the shifter was in neutral. Shifting to any numbered gear would be reflected in the UI as the shifter being in neutral.. I went through several driver UI calibrations immediately after that and nothing changed. The only way i could get it back to normal was upgrading or downgrading the firmware and running the calibration that occurs immediately after the firmware change.

I'm a bit hesitant to try and break it again since everything appears to be working at the moment..but I still need to do some more testing with the button module to see if it's actually defective or not. I did tighten the bolts down inside the quick release adapter and also secured the connectors inside the wheel base per the instruction from support. The bolts weren't terribly loose but they also weren't very tight either.. so maybe that was the issue.

Anyway, all that being said, if I get some time this weekend, I'll try to update the driver back to 450 and repeat the process as you suggested and let you know the result.

thanks again for your help, Maurice, I really appreciate the technical response and information you've provided.

edit: I forgot to mention, the shifter is/was potentially plugged into the shifter 2 port, which I realize is not the correct port according to the user manual.. despite it still working (excluding this calibration error). However, I don't actually recall if it was plugged in to 1 or 2 when the problem first occurred but I did unplug it and re-plug it in a couple times in troubleshooting so maybe when re-plugging it in, I put it in shifter 2 accidentally. I typically read the manuals pretty thoroughly when I get something new so I'd like to believe I had it correct initially, but I could be wrong.

• I too have problems from time to time where the BME freezes and stops working. Has happened for a while now. Seems random. Shifters still work. Unplugging the USB-C connector from the BME to the Hub gets it working again. Someone else has mentioned the same issue in the steering wheel forum.

• The exact same thing happens to me. The paddle shifters still work. The buttons don't work and the display freezes. Like the sporadic failures in the gear up paddle. I still have to do more tests but with the PS4 f1 wheel I have not noticed any fault in the upshift paddle shifter yet. I don't know if it can be related or not. Greetings!

DD1 ps4

V3

Porsche gt3r

Diver V450

• I don't see the DD1 PS4/5 listed on the supported wheelbases, is the driver okay to use with my wheelbase?

Steve

• edited March 2023

Yes.

It's literally in the thread title: "... for... Podium WB". The DD1 PS4 is a Podium WB.

• Can you put the date the new beta is released.

Example 5 march 2023.

It helps alot to know a date & not just a edit page.

This discussion has been closed.