CSW 2.5 - All Wheels Firmware V47 Troubleshooting

Anyone else having issues with this firmware update? Can't get it applied on any wheel (ie. McLaren GT3 V2, Formula V2.5X, etc). It immediately stops with error saying to power off and the cycle just keeps repeating itself. Windows is 100% up to date and nothing seems to get it to work, including multiple restarts.

Comments

• Allan LehtlaAllan Lehtla Member
    edited November 2023

it could be because you are using the CSW 2.5, as that hardware is discontinued you may not need updates either, so software not allows update

or its just a bug

• edited November 2023

Can you please use the "Collect Logs" feature of the driver and upload it here so the Dev can investigate why the update dies not work for you as in his testing the steering wheel updates are working fine on his CSW V2.5...

Also did you only tried the automatic update via the green update button or did you also tried a manual update? If not done already, manual update would be worth a try as well.

• Discontinued does not mean it is no longer supported. Even the original CSW V1 from 2012, of course long discontinued, is still supported and gets updates.

• CSR Wheel, is in long discontinued? i know people who still use that 😁

• edited November 2023

That's not supported anymore as THAT is indeed way too old tech.

But a CSW V2.5 is way too new and it will be supported for at least next year as well, maybe even through 2025 and beyond.

• Hello Maurice Böschen

I have a question and would be grateful if you could help me with it

So, I have one Fanatec GT DD PRO base that was bought in March of 2022 and was never updated, It's completely new in the Box.

Can you tell me the better way to update it, minimizing the risks of getting anything wrong or even brick the base?

What would be the best Fanatec Drivers to start upgrading it?

I would be much appreciated if you could advise on this one

Thanks

• first install the latest drivers for you pc, then restart the pc

after that start a firmware update protsess

• Hi all,

I have almost the same issue. I can launch the update the the wheel is start vibrate and after couple of seconde I have an opened windows from FANATEC firmware updater saying Power off the wheelbut nothing more happens

I’m on PC every driver are up to date

GT DD pro and formula V2

Someone have thé same issue ?

• I'm in a similar position and as my wheel is brand new, I have raised a support ticket about my problem. I'll add updates as things progress, but if anyone has more suggestions, they'll be gratefully recieved.

I got my new CSW Formula 2.5X yesterday (yay!). I connected the wheel to my CSL-DD base and checked that everything was functioning in the Fanatec control panel (I am on version 451). Again the wheel was detected and seemed to be working fine when I received it - I didn't get as far as testing in game.

The control panel noted there was a firmware update available for the wheel, so I pushed the button to start the firmware update. At this point the problem started:

1) The control panel finds the wheel, starts the firmware update, and is apparently successful (attachment 1).

2) The firmware flash panel disappears and the control panel briefly flashes up the base graphic. I'm assuming this is finding the base before looking for the wheel.

3) The control panel then switches to "No Fanatec Device Found".

4) At this point if the firmware updater is in automatic mode, the process starts again at step 1. If the firmware updater is in manual mode, it goes to step 1 and waits for me to push the flash firmware button.

At this point if I have the wheel connected and in automatic firmware update mode, there will just be a continuous cycle of firmware update attempts that fail. If I have the wheel in manual firmware update mode, the wheel base is not detected, the wheel is not detected, the wheel base lights colour cycle and the wheel itself is non-responsive.

I've tried the following trouble shooting steps already:

- Multiple USB ports.

- Disconnected all non core USB devices (webcam, other sim gear, audio interfaces, controlllers, etc). I note that I have had no issues running a P1 wheel with my current setup and did some fanatec firmware upgrades earlier in the year.

- Tried to upgrade to driver 454. This provided a small amount more information, throwing an error: "Error: Cannot get firmware stream! 2" (attachment 2). This is the only thing v454 does, so I reverted to 451.

- Tried to downgrade to V450. The wheel was not detected at all by this driver, so no driver updates at all. Again, reverted to 451.

- Tried to upgrade on another PC using 451. In this case, the wheel was not detected at all (wheel base was detected).

- Per advice on the Fanatec support forums and fanatec youtube channel, removed, reseated and retightened the CSL-DD shaft & collar.

- Tried the Fanatec wheel firmware recovery process several times. None suceeeded. I have attached the diagnostic zip file to my support ticket.

- Checked that none of the pins are bent. I did note that the shorter one the CSW looks a little shorter than the same pin on my P1, but this shouldn't significant?

- TODO - check on tightnening screws around pins (will check this later today).

Finally, I have tested that the wheel is still operating correctly with the P1 wheel I purchased with it and can confirm that the problem appears to be only with the new CSW 2.5X.

I also note I'm familiar and comfortable with firmware updates, driver updates - to the level of making registry modifications, cleaning old drivers etc when I have to. I'm happy to try additional troubleshooting steps, but based on the things I've tried so far this wheel does appear to have been bricked by the Fanatec driver update process, and I'm expecting it will need a return to sort the problem out.

• After my fairly depressijng last post, I'm happy to report that I've figured my problem out and hopefully my solution will help others.

The TLDR for my problem is that Ear Trumpet (https://github.com/File-New-Project/EarTrumpet) was breaking the firmware update for the wheel. The fix was to stop Ear Trumpet, do the update, and then restart Ear Trumpet.

@Maurice Böschen - while this is an edge case, there are likely to be quite a few people using Ear Trumpet (amazing bit of software if you have more than one audio device!), so it would be good if this issue and solution could be captured in a support FAQ and/or one of the driver posts. I'm also not sure that my support ticket was raised correctly, so this may be the only place it is captured.

In a bit more detail: I found the problem as outlined in my previous post. I then went back through the diagnostic zip files in more detail. I'd skipped the "FLEventError*.events" file the first time around, and I really shouldn't have - the problem with ear trumpet was pretty clearly stated as the only thing in this file:

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: exception code c0020001, exception address 768F9132

Stack:

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at EarTrumpet.Interop.Helpers.Win32Window.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

From that, I guessed that the unsafe method was causing the problem with the update, and the obvious next step was to disable Ear Trumpet and try the update again. At that point, I had no trouble with updating firmware all the way to 454.

Finally, if I can get a bit of commentary from one of the Fanatec devs on why this is happening, I'm happy to raise a bug on the Ear Trumpet repo

• edited April 5