300 mm round leather steering wheel

Hi all,

I am looking to get Fanatec clubsport series equipment. I mostly play rally games, so I would like to have a round wheel (not D-shape). I have heard that 300 mm is the sweet spot of simracing, thus I wonder if clubsport 320 mm is too large when coming from G29.

Do anyone know where to buy a good 300 mm leather wheel? It would have to be centered (I guess momo 300 mm is off-center?) Or should I just buy clubsport 320 mm?

Thanks

Comments

• MadDog-ICMadDog-IC Member
    edited December 2023

Smaller wheels (270mm-300mm) in general are used when there is very little FFB, ie Logitech G27 2.5nm and other older belt or geared motor equipment probably up to 4-6nm and possibly 8nm, this is because you don't need as much leverage by turning the wheel to overcome the FFB motor force.

How ever once you go Direct Drive motors with say 10nm-30nm FFB it would be better to go 320mm - 350mm diameter wheel as it will give you more leverage to over come the increases in force from the motor.

ie:

A Formula One 2.5 270mm wheel is ok for a CSL DD or Podium DD1 motor at 6-8nm FFB dependent on game and car selected, for some this may even be too strong to drive with long term.

A larger round Rally or GT3 steering wheel at 320mm for a CSL DD at 8nm may be just enough to maintain good FFB feel, but for some not so much, on a Podium DD1 motor at 10-15nm (Considered the sweet spot for any wheel over 320mm).

These are my recommendations based on some experience and what other good sim racers recommend in general, so just go the clubsport 320mm as I will be when I purchase one.

Regards, Ian.

• i doubt you can make good results if you drive with the truck steering wheel at inside formula car as you to need very fast reaction time at corners

• Its more that a bigger wheel requires more steering input, due to the bigger diameter - so slower turning, more effort to turn etc

Plus the limiting size of a formula cockpit wouldnt allow a bigger wheel.

• Thanks for the explanation.

Wish they had a clubsport steering wheel round with 300mm.

I'm afraid that the clubsport steering wheel round 1 V2 with 270 mm is just too small for my Rally / Circuit games. Now playing with a CSL Steering Wheel P1 V2 which is also a 300 mm - mounted on a CSL DD 8Nm connected to QR2, but the quality is of course much less... But for now I'm satisfied - the QR2 makes a lot of difference, even on this cheapest wheel 😉

• Hi,

I am currently gaming with G29. The wheel size feels surprisingly ok, even if it is only 270 mm. For this reason, I am thinking that 300 mm might be better for me than 320 mm.

I found out about the new Cammus C12 steering wheel. It looks nice and I think it is 300 mm. It should be able to handle 12 Nm. I am wondering if the steering wheel (rim) would fit to fanatec universal hub. https://cammusracing.com/product/pre-order-cammus-c12-direct-drive-steering-wheel/

I would prefer to have a round 300 mm clubsport steering wheel, but I don't know if fanatec have plans of making one. If they do, they could say it.