BMW M4 GT3 wheel will not update to firmware 9

edited December 2023 in Steering Wheels

I have tried and tried and it keeps giving an error message that USB device is not recognised. This is with a DD2 and a PC with Win11 64 bit.

I am wondering if this is a problem with firmware 454 ???

I noted that other people had a similar problem in the past and they fixed it by downgrading backwards. However I am now fully updated to the latest firmware on the base / motor etc and not sure how far back to wind back as I do not want to brick my wheel base.

Or is it a problem with theupdate cable which I have never had to use until now as my wheel had firmware 8?

Fanatec support has said to send it back for repairs at my cost saying it is not under warranty as it is 13 months old !

Support had no other suggestions as to what to do, just send the wheel back and pay for a repair !!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• So I had a DD1 with QR1. Then I updated everything to QR2. Installed 452 drivers (this was the recent drive at the time) and had a similar issue.

What I had to do was Install the QR1 back on the M4 wheel. And update the wheel with using QR1 USB Wheel adapter that came with the wheel. Updated successfully.

Then I put the QR2 wheel side back on and the M4 wheel.

I was a bit surprised as i thought the QR2 was the answer to updating the M4 wheel without the adapter. A bit frustrating, but I am able to update drivers and firmware now.

• edited December 2023

Rolled back to 450 and all fine then 451 all fine b the usb cable was reocgnised and it said no firmware to update as 451 does no thave the v9 update.

the installed 452 and went through the correct procedure to update to firmware 9 and the firmware updater said usb device not recognised

Tried 2 different PCs , one with a new installation of the fanatec software.

Any ideas ???

• But keep the firmware 450-451!

There is no real difference, just many problems found with the 454 firmwares. If you keep messing with the firmwares, you seriously risk turning your steering wheel into an expensive paperweight.

It is dangerous, when the firmware is transferred, any problem with the connection, or with electrical network, could be fatal. If it works, keep the previous firmware!