CSL DD notchy/grainy FFB

Hi, I received my csl DD yesterday, but already seem to be having issues with it. Initially I was getting a weird electrical vibration through the wheel when powered on, even when not in game. This seems to not be present anymore. However the main issue I'm having is super notchy/grainy ffb in iracing, even while using reccomended settings. It's really hard to accurately describe the feeling, but it feels like a lot of small notches when turning, rather than smooth, lively feedback. The force feedback is good apart from this, but it feels like there is a layer of noise/notchyness standing between me and normal feeback. The only solution I've found so far is to dramatically increase INT (up to 12 at least) and drop FEI to 40, this smoothes things a decent amount, but still isn't perfect, and naturally is causing a huge loss in fidelity through the wheel. Comparatively Asetto corsa feels much better on default settings, although still not perfect. Not sure what to do, I may be wrong but I really doubt this is normal behaviour? Any help is greatly appreciated, I've raised a support request with fanatec but it will likely take weeks for them to get back to me :/.

Comments

• are you have USB directly to the PC mother board or in the front?

driver 451 or 454?

what type of rig you have, metal?

• Tom NoakesTom Noakes Member
    edited December 2023

Usb going directly to the pc, I've tried both the motherboard and front of pc, no real difference between the two. The rig is metal, just a fairly basic wheel stand. Are you thinking I should be grounding the rig? Just to get an opinion, is ffb in iracing meant to feel as smooth as in AC? I know they model things differently, but even so the forces should feel similarly smooth, just that the exact type of forces will be different?

Was using driver 454 Initially, reverted back to either 451 or 452, can't recall rn, either way I didn't make any difference :/ firmware is all up to date

• zeko zekanzeko zekan Member
    edited December 2023

they say on the forums that the metal rig should be grounded. it can happen that metal rigs cause interference. emi.

I know the difference in ffb is between but I haven't tried iR.

according to some users, 454 caused problems for them, that's why 451 is a better option because they have returned. the firmware must be the one that goes with the 451.

if none of this solves your problem, maybe there really is a hardware problem with the base. and you will have to contact the Fanatec team about replacing the base via RMA. maybe first they try to help you with some better firmware.

• Hi, Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. Unfortunately things have gone even more downhill, the ffb became lower in power this evening and shortly after, the wheel completely disconnected. Standard issue of the shaft coming loose :/. I reseated and tightened the collar, but the ffb is still at the reduced power level, with random spikes of regular high power lasting for a few seconds at a time. It's a bit of a joke at this point, to have so many issues 2 days into having the wheelbase. I've requested a replacement base from fanatec in light of these issues, now it's just a waiting game I guess :/. Thanks again anyway!

• The feeling of grainy (I call it sand) when turning the steering wheel is a feature of the DD implementation from Fanatec. Unfortunately, this is apparently a physical limitation of the motor, and I really hope that Clubsport DD+ does not have this problem, otherwise I will have to switch to another ecosystem :(

• Hmm, is it the case that the grainieness is apparent in iracing over other sims? AC is buttery smooth in comparison, so it seems strange to me that this would be an inherent limitation of the motor?

• I have it in every game wich I try. AC, ACC, iRacing, FM7. Somewhere it less, somewhere more, but never totaly smooth.

One important thing, my INTERPOLATION value in drive no more than 5%, if increase it base stay slowly.

• Interesting, see for me AC is pretty much perfect, as I expect it to feel. Iracing is almost undriveable in comparison, like I'm having to search for feedback under all of the noise of the notchyness.

• Paolo SalaPaolo Sala Member
    edited January 21

Hi, i think i had the same problem from the beginning on my DD ... the feeling is like a slight grainy vibration with an high frequency, like a electromagnetic "noise" . I solved dowgrading the Wheel Base Motor Firmware.

EDIT: All the new update firmware give me the issue

• can you be more precise and state which driver and firmware you installed now and that it is now ok?