CSL DD UP IN SMOKE!

ok not literally a full on house fire but there’s where there’s smoke there’s fire as they say

Hi guys I’m one of the people that patiently waited and was so happy when my kit arrived, however after only maybe a grand total of 5/6 hours of gameplay spread over the last few weeks my DD started to smell like melted plastic and as I realised it automatically disconnected and shut itself down

the back of the unit was extremely hot and I’m really not too impressed, I have other stuff on order that I won’t be able to use when it turns up because of this

i’ve contacted support but not heard anything yet ,

but has this happened before to anyone?

is it a common problem?

is it easily fixed?

what should I do? Smoke in your house coming from an electrical item screams house fire to me so I’m grateful that nothing more serious happened, more pissed that I can’t race any more

Comments

• One more! It's a commun issue. Send ticket to support for return and repair. I returned mine today.

• Ticket sent on Friday broski

• FanaSCAM 🤮

• Will only hear about the bad ones though won’t you

those trouble free ones just get enjoyed and are silent I don’t think there’s a scam LOL

just unlucky ones

• your money, their concern

good luck

• It's not about bad luck, just statistics. For each type of goods, a small percentage of items will be defective. A small inconvenience that companies that care about their customers resolve quickly.

• Unfortunately I have to join the club of peaople with a dead CSL DD. Similar issue, mid race it just turned off and started to smell. At the rear it didn't get hot, just warm. I can still turn it on but it is not recognized by my PC anymore. Also the shaft is not calibrating on startup. In addition, it will immediately start to fill the room with electronic smell.

I've received mine on Friday and it died on Sunday. Verry disappointing that this happens so close to the Christmas holidays. I've filed a support ticket yesterday but I don't have high hopes that there will be any progress until end of this year.

• can you give a little more information;

- 5 or 8nm?

- which steering wheel were you using when it happened?

- which driver and firmware?

- what steering wheel angle do you have set?

- what set ffb in the driver and in the game?

- what game did you play?

• It's the 8nm version with the WRC steering wheel. I've updated firmware and drivers to the latest version already on Friday before I started to race.

Steering wheel angle was set to 540 and FFB set to 100% while driving in EA sports WRC.

However, I don't think that it is related to any driver/firmware issues. When I manage to turn it on and it stays on (not always the case) then it starts to emit an intense electronic smell and that shouldn't be the case and did also not happen the days before.

• I have the same setup, same situation coïncidence?

• if you had 100% ffb in Fanatec Control Panel and 100% in game, that's not good.

also for that new rally game I don't think they have settings yet. but it should have been adjusted to either wrc or dirt2.

although I doubt you fried the base because of that. apparently a factory error. unfortunately according to Fanatec not so rare lately.

Otherwise, I am personally of the opinion that this base, which is basically 5nm, must be used that way. 8nm or maybe a little more is its peak. so I think that every csl dd with an 8nm cube is overload.

• who knows, maybe the new driver (not sufficiently tested and tested) is causing the problem.

I think that beta drivers should not be given for use, but only verified and well tested. users en masse report that they are returning to 451 because the newer drivers cause them various problems and they are not satisfied.

• Maybe i don't know.

• Ingame I had Self-Aligning Torque of 58, so no 100% in game, just in the Fanatec Control Panel it was set to 100. Overall the settings I had were very similar to Dirt Rally 2.0 settings that are available.

Aside from that, I would expect that there are safety mechanism included that prevent the device from getting damaged. So, I don't see it as my fault when they sell a 8nm version and the hardware is not able to handle it.

Otherwise, I've also seen reports of the 5nm version having the same issue.

• this is so bad.

I am so sorry for all of you that you have to suffer like this.

simply pay so much and have no confidence.

I am so glad that Fanatec has decided to offer many people the cancellation of their BF orders, so that many people do not end up in the same situation.

it would be interesting to get data on the percentage of steering wheels that fail. I also mean the competition. they are not immune to this kind of nonsense either.

but somehow it seems less to me, because I regularly follow the Moza, Simagic, Asetek camp. I don't read that many of them break down like this on a daily basis.

the Logitech G25, G27, G29, G923 also breaks, but it is one of the best steering wheels for learning the world of simracing. but if they break down, it is rare and the breakdowns are easily repaired. with the combination of some good pedals, and of course the Fanatec V3, that combination can be more than competitive and very reliable in the long run.

• edited December 2023

No, it's not a question of settings, it's just that a small percentage of products, any type of product, leaves the factory defective, passes quality controls, but fail when the customer starts using them.

When it happens, and you have bought from a serious company that cares about the customer, it is just a small annoyance, which sooner or later happens to everyone. People don't talk about it, because the replacement is quick and friendly.

When the company is more focused on immediate profit, rather than customer satisfaction, the small annoyance could become a bigger problem. The solution may not be quick or even friendly. Then people will talk about it.

• all in all, dd is a big fraud. with all manufacturers. they swear by reliability and break down like Logitech, Thrustmaster, etc.

with the fact that the repair is long-lasting and expensive after the warranty. and dd is very expensive at the start.

Today, everything is mass-produced so that it spoils. classic example; "it's not worth fixing. buy a new one."

overheating is still a problem with all of these dd on the market.

if everyone had a better quality independent controller, with built-in fans, sensors and a built-in tool in the driver that would regulate everything about the temperature, every would break down less.

a good example of durability is Podium DD, it has a 5-year warranty. it has a built-in fan cooling system. that some still have problems, but in principle it is a good way.

but yes, how would the producers get rich if something we buy would last at least 10+ years with constant use, and with occasional use by others it would last forever.

the curse of this modern world and greed.

• RMA booked in

Fanatec very quick to react

happy with how it’s being handled, inconvenient but None the less being sorted

hopefully it’s a permanent fix

I did want to upgrade to the 180 psu but perhaps I won’t

• Honestly, the difference between 5nm and 8nm is really consequent if you can get the powerfull one get it you won't regret.

• Anyone had an RMA done recently I’ve heard absolutely nothing

• Mine should be done soon, my order is on "Handle to warehouse" so it should be sent soon to me.

• Just checked my account

looks like they’re sending me a new one so I’m guessing it couldn’t be repaired

• Finally the new one burned too..

• The 7th day (Today) i received this morning mails from Fanatec with usual questions about incident and other one with RMA. Now i have to pack all again and go to post office like last time.

• I received news from Fanatec today, the second DD i got is now repaired. Fanatec gave me tracking number so wait and see...

• Tried almost 2 hours of driving, always working, as i said i reduced FFB on 5 nm, no smell, no hot currently.