CSL DD behavior? Defect or user issue?

Hi, can someone explain how a good working CSL DD base should feel like when racing? How should the wheel feel when driving straight, when taking turns at decent speed? I've got my base for a few weeks and can't get the hang of it, it's not intuitive at all and feels weird when playing any title. No matter if the wheel is powered off or on the wheel is not smooth, still has that notchy feeling like it has to go over bumps, and I can hear some sort of rubbing sound when rotating the wheel fast? When going over bumps and curbside there is very weird clunky mechanical hit in the wheel, even if the FFB is at let's say 6 nm. I'm not sure if the base is defective, if it's me who's not used to it or it's something with my settings? Using latest firmware with driver 454, and default suggested settings for all the titles I'm playing on. Using the CSL DD with the boost pack, QR1 Lite that came with the P1 V2 wheel and already added electrical tape over the shaft. Thank you!!

Comments

• Found a video in which you can hear the "rubbing" sound I was referring when rotating the wheel/shaft:

• That sounds perfectly normal.

The clunky mechanical noises you hear when driving over curbs is the Quick Release. The QR1 is known to be noisy. You can use the optional retention screw which eliminates some play and some noise but the QR1 never will be dead silent, for that you need the QR2.

• Andrei RotaruAndrei Rotaru Member
    edited December 2023

Hi Maurice, thank you for replying. My order only came with QR1 Lite, not QR1, therefore no retention screw, or did I missed it? I've got in contact with other CSL DD owners and their base is smooth and silent, while mine it is not. Is it normal for the sound to be present even when FFB is coming through the wheel? Combined with the weird feeling I'm sensing through the wheel while driving, the fact that it's not smooth as others stated, the fact that's not at all intuitive in the sense that what's being transmitted through the wheel doesn't feel "real", the immense clunky jitters/hits behind the wheel when going over bumps, even at 3-5 km/h had me believe something is wrong with my product. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who owns a CSL DD which is close enough to test their product out and compare it with mine.

Even so, Fanatec considers this to be normal (referring to the clunky mechanical hits/jitters)? I'm basically told to spend an additional 200 EURO, wait a few months (since QR2 is on preorder), after I already spent 600 EURO, to fix something that for me sounds like an issue and not a "feature"?

• Best would be when you upload a video, otherwise it is basically impossible to judge if there is an issue or if it's within tolerance and therefore considered to be "normal"...

• Andrei RotaruAndrei Rotaru Member
    edited December 2023

I agree, proving something with clear evidence is better than anything else, but this is something that's being felt while using the device, it's not something that can be reproduced on video in my opinion. Is it possible to describe the normal/expected usage of a CSL DD in terms of feeling and behavior of the device itself in certain, general, instances?

Also, is it normal behavior for the base to still feel notchy when powered on? It feels like the wheel must go over bumps in certain degrees. I understanding this behavior when the base is powered off, but should it be present when powered on?

• Any input on my last questions? Thank you!

• I have the same issue on my csl dd using the csl 1 light with my xbox series x and get a large clunk when racing on the new Forza Motorsport and was on here looking for an answer, so if I'm reading it right, it's a problem with the csl 1 connector that's at fault and have to spend even more money to put it right, so why do Fanatec sell these if they are faulty, just a scam knowing you will need to upgrade!!!!!