Is there a way to test a CSL DD base without a wheel?

I picked up a CSL DD off eBay and it arrived today. It may be a while before I receive the rest of my gear, which includes a wheel. In the meantime, I'm trying to determine if the unit I bought is in good condition. For the most part, it seems alright... no obvious signs of damage, it connects to my PC, and was able to update firmware.

The only thing that concerns me slightly is that when turning the shaft by hand, it's got a bit of a "notchy" feel. In other words, it doesn't turn entirely smoothly... it kinds of turns 30 degree rotations (or so) and then settles. It doesn't feel rough, nor does it make any noise... but I kind of expected it to be completely smooth. When I turn it on, it moves a couple "notches" to the left and then appears to rotate smoothly back the other way about 180 degrees.

Can anyone tell me if this all sounds normal or if there's some way to run it through a test that would demonstrate that it's working as expected? The "Force Feedback Test" option in the fanatec driver software is disabled without a wheel connected.

Thanks!

Comments

• im assuming what you talk about that "notchy" is that you feel the magnets ? that is by default normal in CSL DD

you feel that little less when you actually play game