Firmware issues after 455 update, clubsport DD Wheelbase, advice pls. Anyone else have similar issue

Have owned since mid December. Always a little bit strange when trying to switch to Xbox mode. Often would have to unplug and replug, power on to get it to switch to Xbox mode. Otherwise worked fine.

Sold my other wheel base etc a few days ago to,a friend. Checked to make sure the CSL wheelbase firmware was up to date. Noted it needed to be updated to 455. Did so w no problems. Use a Mac computer w parallel for virtual machine for windows. Have never had an issue updating my windows based stuff, to include Fanatec gear, using windows 10 in virtual machine.

Decided to update my clubsport DD. Xbox universal hub v2, etc.

Updated all items.

Once updated, but without turning the power off, it allows switching from PC to Xbox mode, no problem.

Turn the power off and turn on again it becomes unresponsive to pushing the power button. Plug it back into the computer via usb etc and it states wheelbase is in firmware recovery mode.

Let it do its thing again. After it’s done it reboots itself, recognizes the device, able to tune settings, etc and also open firmware update link in Fanatec control panel. Turn it off, turn it back on again, same thing happens. Have to reinstall firmware.

Went into firmware update link, manually updated all devices. Same problem.

Removed 455 from windows. Downloaded 454, installed that driver package. Plugged in wheelbase etc and said again in firmware update mode. Updated, or downgraded really, all devices to 454.

Same issue still exists.

Have tried updating with all peripherals (wheel, pedals etc) disconnected.

Same thing happens.

Have ensured no other apps etc are running.

All operating system software etc is up to date, both for windows and for macOS.

Suggestions?

Fanatec customer service is crap. Ridiculous a 800 buck stops working after a month, after updating their supposedly bug fixed older drivers, firmware.

Comments

• Matthew YorkMatthew York Member
    edited January 29

Try loading firmware 451. There have been several reports of bases and wheels not working with xbox after updating to 455. Unfortunately I am not surprised that Fanatec hasn't pulled the 455 download or communicated there is a problem with 455.

• 454 was also buggy on my csl dd for what it’s worth. I agree with above. I think until 456 comes along 455 is also sketchy as it caused my csl dd to not recognize my podium BME encoders without manually tuning them to the device.

• I don't think 451 has Clubsport DD Support.

I think 454 might be the first one?

Either way. You need to look for it on page one of each driver page. I think it's listed as Clubsport DD+ like the picture below as they are mostly the same:

• that is from the 454 page btw. They renamed it while it was being developed. So it's probably what you downgraded to.

• Have downgraded to 454. Had the same exact problem.

• Yeah i saw your logs posted in 455. Hope you get an answer.

• as far i know you not need turn off base for activate the Xbox, but you to may need take steering wheel out and add back

• HuskyfanHuskyfan Member
    edited January 29

This is what it states when it starts to update the wheelbase firmware.

As i stated, before, does this for both 454 (original version that worked) and also for 455. Started after updating the firmware to 455. Does not matter if i downgrade back to 454. Once it’s done updating, it works correctly, until you turn the power off. Then you have to update the firmware again.

• you probaply need wait next driver, as you not really have allot options, either use 454 or 455

• Silly question. Are you holding the power button down for more than 3 seconds and maybe just starting bootloader mode by accident? I’ve done that before.

• Tony JaaTony Jaa Member
    edited January 30

here we go, clubsport DD issue, any fix ? yes RMA :)

• When everything works like it should never update is my experience. When everything works fine the only thing any update in any product can do is mess things up. I'm not going to update my wheels or base as long as they function normally. I don't see any reason of updating.

• Exactly the same issue for me Huskyfan, I don't find anything for the moment

This is my screen shot during the update...

• Dale MaxwellDale Maxwell Member
    edited January 30

I am also having issues since the 455 update. Wheelbase clips (everything from seriuos clipping to micro-clipping to where it feels like the base is filled with sand). Tried downgrading to 454.... same thing. I will try downgrading to 453 and let you know.

BTW, the XBox mode has been removed.... WTF

• I updated my GT DD with the 455 & HUB V2 Xbox & several wheels

No issues -> I always use a hub with an external power

Regards

• I had the same problem with the permanent update mode. the support couldn't fix the problem. you have to contact the support and they will open an RMA ticket. Unfortunately there ist no warning from fanatec to avoid the update to firmware 455 if you are xbox user.

• Exactly the same. If my Xbox powers off and it’s plugged in it shuts off wheelbase.

if I unplug usb with power on it remains functional. My work around is leave it turned on continuously. I checked wattage use when turned on but idle. Tolerable at 20 watts. In the event it gets turned off have to open up windows on my Mac, fire up control panel. Plug in usb to laptop, turn wheelbase back on and reflash firmware. About a 5-10 min process.

not ideal. But better than nothing

the firmware is buggy Seems a reasonable conclusion.

im waiting on a firmware update to solve the problem Not sure I want to go thru the cost, time and hassles to send all the way to Germany for them to say “wait for new firmware”.

wonder how many RMA they’ve received Many, many, many.

just think if every iPhone became inoperative after an update

amazing incompetence

BTW, who pays shipping costs for repairs if under warranty?

• Sorry for lack of punctuation etc. Was replying while in a very hot sauna!

• Same problem. I was instructed by support to downgrade from 455 to 451 which I did.

What has changed is my mode options used to be PC and XBOX. When I upgraded to 455 mode options became PC and PC COMP only. Downgrading to 451 changed nothing. It takes several days for support to respond. Not a good feeling about this. Podium Wheelbase DD1 + Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula V2x

help!

• driver Downgrading not helps, you need Downgrade the firmware

• I think many people can confirm this.

Xbox mode is missing drivers from the device management panel.

That is, the computer only recognizes PC mode and PC comp mode.

Because it was installed well.

My problem is that even if you try to delete and reinstall nom it is rewritten fine.

Some lucky people found the xbox mode in the 451 and 454 software.

But I think they are old bases.

The problem of xbox mode not being rewritten on the new bases.

So I hope that the 456 driver contains this key otherwise they are bases to be returned to the sender.