Wich drivers to install

Hello guys:) I am waiting for my cls dd to arrive in a day or two ... Can someone please tell me wich driver i should install.... Because i am reading bad things about the last one ... And I don't want to wreck me wheel on the first try :) thanks in advance

Comments

• Install driver 451 it should be on the forum if you search for it

• at from latest drivers 451 had longest test so it seems most stable atm. other ones may give issues

• You may have problems just updating the firmware. Although the driver contains an entire package of firmwares for all Fanatec products currently supported by the company, firmware and drivers are not the same thing.

The driver is the software for the PC to manage the device, while the firmware is the internal software of the product. If you simply install the latest driver, without flashing the firmware, your product is not affected at all.

You will receive your fully functional product, with tested firmware already pre-installed. All you should do is install one of the latest drivers you find on the site, without updating the firmware.

The 451 driver they recommended works very well. It is quite safe to update the firmwares contained in the 451 package, but it is never completely safe. I would avoid doing this, until customer service wait times normalize.

• Thanks a lot guys appreciate the help :)

• So which firmware i should install.... The firmware is actually Fanalab right... Which version should i install....

• No Fanalab is a PC software application that works in parallel with the driver, but it is not necessary software.

1. Firmware, Is a software written directly inside the device's memory, which allows it to function and be recognized by the PC. The device leaves the factory with its own firmware pre-installed, it is not necessary to install one by the customer. Without firmware the device does not work and is not recognized by the PC. When you update the firmware, the old firmware is overwritten, and a mistake at this stage could leave the device without firmware and therefore no longer recognizable by the PC. In this case it is no longer possible to restore the firmware, because the PC does not recognize the device. This is why it can be dangerous to update your firmware.

2. Driver Is a PC software that allows the PC to communicate with and drive the device, hence the name Driver. It is absolutely necessary to install a driver, even if Windows already contains the drivers for the main peripherals, such as mouse and keyboards. Without drivers the device is still recognized by the PC but will not work at its best.

In the case of Fanatec, the driver interface also allows you to flash the firmware. But it is never mandatory to do so, the driver will still work even with older firmware, unless specified in the release notes.

3. Fanalab, is a management software from Fanatec. It manages settings profiles, LEDs, OLED screen, motor vibrations etc... and loads them automatically when you launch a game. It is not necessary to install it to operate the steering wheel, but it can be very convenient.

• Thanks so much for the insightful info I really appreciate it if you come to Bulgaria some time write me here to give you a bottle of fine whiskey,:)

• So i must NOT update the firmware of the base and to install the 451 driver ... Got it and thanks again mate :)

• If you use v451 you CAN Update your Firmware. Only higher driver have some problems specially v455

• Something else to say about this, because people really don't understand what firmware is. Ok, so let's say you took your wheelbase out of the box. You can see it and touch it, it is physically in front of you. However your PC has no eyes or hands, it cannot see your wheelbase. It only has one USB port, and what it see is... firmware.

Firmware is not just software code stored in the device's internal memory. The firmware "is" the device. It is the device for the PC. Without firmware your CSL DD wheelbase is no longer a CSL DD, it's just a heavy object that has the shape of a CSL DD, but it's not a CSL DD, at least not for the PC.

Imagine a brick with a USB cable tied around it. You can try connecting it to your PC as many times as you want, but it's just a brick. Here any USB device without firmware becomes a brick with a USB cable tied around it.

When you update the firmware, the old firmware is overwritten by the new one. If the update is unsuccessful, your device remains without firmware, and ceases to be a CSL DD. Then your PC will no longer be able to recognize it. Point.

But the firmware is just a program, so you can simply reinstall. No. At least it can't be done from a PC, because the PC won't update the firmware of a brick.

Fanatec plays with the firmware of its products with disarming ease. No other company updates its firmwares as assiduously as Fanatec. There is always something to fix or fine-tune in Fanatec devices, like an eternal work in progress. And every now and then some Fanatec device gets turned into a brick.

Nothing serious, just send it back to Fanatec for repair. But will Fanatec respond to your request for assistance?

• Again thanks so much ...and basically if it works don't touch anything:) i hope everything will be ok when i try it tonight.... Cross your fingers :)

• So ... I made a risk and installed the 452 driver which was on the base page ... And everything is fine i made the firmware update to ... No problems there .... So for now i am super happy it is way better then the g29 Logitech that i was using before