USB Switch to connect to PC/Xbox/PS.

Matthew YorkMatthew York Member
edited February 5 in Fanatec Other

Is there anyone using a USB switch to connect between platforms? I have a CSL DD Pro with V3 Pedals and a F1 2.5X wheel all working great on PC, X Box and PS when direct connected to each. I purchased a USB 3.0 switch (4 port) so I could connect to any platform without unplugging cables. In theory it should have worked but ran into a strange problem. When I connected to the PC and started either Fanalab or the control panel the wheel base showed up as a CSL Elite with no wheel or pedals. I used 3.0 cables. Also when I connected with the USB switch it wanted to load firmware to a CSL Elite. I didn't try to connect to XBox or PS out of fear of letting the smoke out. If you are successfully using a USB switch please let me know which brand and model, preferably with an RF remote. I have another on order to try. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Perhaps, but I'm not at all sure, a powered USB hub, connected to the mains through its power supply, could solve the problem.

• Thanks for the reply. A USB hub is to share USB devices with 1 computer. A USB switch (4 port) shares 4 devices with 4 computers. In my case I am sharing one device, CSL DD Pro with 3 computers, PC Xbox and PS. You got me thinking to try powering it with a USB charger. Normally that is for higher power demand devices like portable hard drives but worth a try. I have another one showing up tomorrow with an RF remote. Will report back.

• It's a little difficult to explain for me as a non-English speaker. More than energy consumption I was thinking about grounding.

While fixed PCs have a case connected to the ground pin of the electrical system, therefore to equipotential 0 (GND=earth), I believe that consoles are isolated, so their equipotential is not necessarily at zero. Then USB cables have a shield connected to each other and maybe you are connecting points with different potential.

• i would not use a usb 3.0 port on pc. i think in the past people have issues with usb 3.0 on pc. exept on consoles because the have only usb 3.0???