CS DD+ cogging?

Is cogging normal with CS DD+ when turned on? I know you can feel the magnets in motor but not this much. It does not dissaper even when on. It the same. I Can't even put it to zero center. It pulls to +1 or -1 degrees. Even my DD2 is WAY smoother than CS DD+.

Comments

• Nein, das ist nicht normal. Wenn meine Basis nicht eingeschaltet ist, spüre ich ein wirklich sanftes Rasten, aber nur, wenn ich das Lenkrad extrem langsam und vorsichtig drehe.

If the base is powerd on, there is no perceptible cogging at all.

• this is supposed to prevent that. Don't have mine yet, so I don't really know.

• My DD2 is smooth as butter compared to CS DD+. When turned on DD2 is even smoother. CS DD+ doesn't change. Cogging as strong as turned off. Not to mention coil whine.

• Then your base is faulty and you have to contact the support (alone for coil whine the support should be contacted already as that is seen as not normal but a hardware issue).

• Thanks Maurice

• it has already started, and only the first users have received DD+

a bunch of broken CS DD, and now a new wave is starting with DD+ and I believe with GT DD X it will be the same story

• I received my CS DD (not plus) a few weeks ago, upgraded from a G920, but I think I might be in the same boat here. Since I don't have any experience with DD bases I figured the cogging I felt was "normal" both powered on and off. I don't notice the cogging while driving at speed in iRacing, so figured it's not a huge issue for me. Only noticable via a very slight pull to towards the off-center cog if I let go of the wheel driving in the pit lane. I get around it by just calibrating the wheel to be "centered" off by a degree (annoying to my OCD, but manageable).

I think I have some small amount of coil whine, but the room has gotta be pretty quiet to really focus on it, again a minor issue to me (assuming it won't significantly damage the wheel in the bear future?). With no experience of what these things are supposed to sound like, again, not sure if it's defective or not.

Does anyone know if the cogging / coil whine will damage the hardware? I'd rather not spend time shipping bases back and forth for these issues, it works well enough for my abilities.

Greg

• does the cogging effect happens also if you not play game?

• Greg SchnurGreg Schnur Member
    edited February 14

Yes, the cogging happens with the base powered on, off, playing, and not playing a game. It feels like spinning any permanent magnet motor, not very strong cogging, but if i use one finger to spin the wheel, you can clearly "land" into each indentation. Again, not super noticeable while playing games (i can really only notice it while inputting steering while stationary in a car), but i wouldn't call it "butter" smooth in the stationary maneuver if that's what it's supposed to be.

• Allan LehtlaAllan Lehtla Member
    edited February 14

no its not normal because DD should be a smooth operator otherwise there no difference between belt drive vs DD

or you saying its normal for DD+ ?

• Allan LehtlaAllan Lehtla Member
    edited February 14

it could be that mass is too small or there is too big cap between coils self and its not fixable in fanatec DD, i to have CSL DD at there i too little feel that clogging but its kind off small as well,

industrial motors you not feel clogging at all because off bigger mass

• It is normal for any DD to have some kind of cogging when turning the wheel slow. P DD has it as well as CSL and GT DD and also CS DD has it.

• It's even advertised that is smooth. Yes if you feel the magnets a little, that is normal. Mine is awful. I have a DD2 and i barely notice coggin even when off. My CS DD+ is noticeably skipping between magnets. Even when turned on. It doesn't even reduce when turned on. The worse problem is, when they finally replace the base in a month or two with all the super fast responses from support, you get another base that has the same problem 🤦‍♂️ (speaking from experiences)

• In your case it sounds like a hardware issue. It should feel smooth in general but you will always still feel a tiny bit of cogging between the magnets, that is normal.

But when it's extreme like in your case then it's not normal and a hardware defect.

However the support can only really help you when you provide a video so best to already film the issue so they can directly see the issue.

• yeah, but because by default Fanatec DD motor shaft is very light they to can pop up more easily games like ATS or ETS.

im guess if user adds heavier steering wheel then he does feel them less

• Already did. Not my first RMA. They have all the info with video and everything in the ticket. Even wrote to start the RMA process without asking me if i would like to.

• A couple of videos of the extreme cogging I have been facing while turning right into corners . Left turns are buttery smooth. Have opened up a ticket with support but repair or replacement will probably be necessary