Fanatec Driver 457 Release Candidate for CSL, ClubSport and Podium (all wheels)

Comments

• Maurice, thanks for this, and for always sticking out your neck to update us, even when it's not so good news. I know it's not easy. Of course, what I said is nothing personal 100%.

But please keep in mind that some of us had to save up for months to be able to buy this product and unfortunately, some of us, cannot drive anymore cause of its issues, for nearly a month already and this might take much longer as you just said.

We can only watch our friends race. Which feels like hell.

For now we shall wait more, and then we shall see what steps we can take.

Thank you once again

James

• edited May 6

Hello, I have ordered a DD+ April 22nd and still waiting patiently for the order to be processed. In the meantime I am checking the forums to see what’s going on.

Obviously, I am a bit anxious to see what kind of unit I end up with and really hope it’s not plagued by any issues.

As has already been suggested in this thread already, somehow, priority should be given to returns of verified defective units from this thread so that Fanatec can have faulty units to thoroughly test internally.

I understand the business and politics-side of the current situation that Fanatec is in, however, this is an expensive product, and defective units replacement should be top priority - this is a personal opinion though.

I think the focus should be on identifying specific batches that had this problem and ensure new units are defect-free. I read somewhere about thousands of orders only on Black Friday alone, so although we see a lot of people with problems here, the number of defective units could be in fact small.

From what I read, what makes sense is either QR2 comm issues or power-related issues.

• I agree. Even better, if someone lives close to the company, a home visit if possible is even better. Since there are other variables besides the base that may be the cause. The wheel used, how it is connected to the PS5, etc.. Something may be noticed by a trained eye. But I don’t know if companies do this.

• Alan AxonAlan Axon Member

@Miksta I had a response today too so it looks like response times are starting to head in the right direction from when you submitted.

• edited May 6

Has anybody had any wheel freezes/disconnects on PC with 457? It seems like the majority of the issues are coming from PS5 usage, and i've had the issue happen one time on PC. I'm wondering if there are other logs/triaging we can look for on the PC side like USB power configurations? or System/App event logs? Before 457 when I used 456 I had many frequent disconnects with daily use. Now on 457 it has only happened once in a little over a week so something does seem to have been fixed.. just trying to help out in any way if I can.

• Kinda wish we could run a poll about the issue. I guess that feature doesn't sit well with this forum due to how bad It would look.

I'd really like to get an idea on how many are affected by the freezing issue whilst units are still be sold.

It would be really good info to have before next steps are taken.

Thanks.

• Gökhan OgulGökhan Ogul Member
    edited May 6

@James Anastasi wrote "in the meantime, us affected users, what shall we do? relax and wait? do you think this is acceptable?". ---

We can help Fanatec to find the bug if all users report the bug with the requested information. But no one do it. Just to say "457 don't work and I have disconnections" - nothing help to find the bug for developers. Still no S/N, still no infos about driver combinations, hardware setup...

Only 1-2 users did it

• edited May 6

Del

• Only the CS DD and CS DD+ implement full force.

• Hey Guys,

Got DD+ Extreme bundle + V3 pedals. Haven't connected it to anything yet so dont know what FW version they are sitting on. Is there a best combo for the base + wheel + pedals FW set.

Iv'e downloaded both 455 and 457 (RC) drivers from the site. Coming from a DD Pro I exlcusively play on GT7 + ACC on PS5 so dont really have the need for a PC connection. Use an old windows laptop just for driver updates for Fanatec.

Appreciate the response 🙏

• Oscar PugaOscar Puga Member

Telling customers to not expect an over night fix for an issue people have been waiting weeks or months for answers is certainly a way to do business.

• @Oscar Puga

So, would you rather that they don't tell you the truth, if they don't know the answer yet...yeah, there's a better way to do business...not!!!

• Hi to everyone, this is my first post on this forum 😀

I bought a Fanatec GT DD Extreme bundle and i use it with V3 Pedals. I noticed some problems and i hope to see them solved.

Wheel Base Model (product ID): Gran Turismo DD Extreme

Steering Wheel Model (product ID): Gran Turismo DD Extreme

Driver Version: 455

Wheel Base Firmware: 2.0.1.4

Steering Wheel Firmware: 1.0.3.0

Wireless QR Firmware:1.0.0.3

FanaLab Version: 2.01.21.

Tuning Menu settings

Driver/FanaLab installed on C: C, standard folders

1) FREEZE. I noticed that sometimes the base freeze and stop to send gear signals and button signals. This happens both on PC and PS5, games AC, GT7, F1 22. I tried to unmount the steering wheel and remount it but once freezed, base remail freezed unti i shot it down and restart it. Oce freezed, even rev light is blocked.

2) LIGHTS CRASH. (PC) If i open Fanalab before start any game to load my custom colors, sometimes it doesn't load leds config, so i see some led ring turned off, some other turned on. Unpredictable.

3) ANALOG PADDLE. I set the cluch paddles as analogue commands to look around. In AC and GT7 it doesn't work at all, in F1 22 there is a problem: sometime, unpredictable, if i turn right the steering wheel to turn right the car, the view look left and vice versa. The problem is bilateral. On FH5 i have to try again but i don't remember this issue.

4) PEDAL RUMBLE. Hoping to see as soon as possible a command like BLI on the throttle, i want to say you that with last firmware there is an issue with test rumble buttons on both motors, brake and throttle: if i click on test, it doesn't work but in game brake works. Rumble motor on trottle booh 😕

I hope to see, finally, they work perfectly! 😒

• @Gökhan Ogul

I did give a detailed report earlier, please scroll through the pages and you will find it.

Thanks

James

• @Gökhan Ogul

me too, already did that per PM, so what you are typing is useless cuase you dont know how many from us are sending that per PM, please stop to put your head in the Fanatec Support Workers *** they did no QA before they send out that Product, I am screwed with tweo very expensive wheels and since weeks I cant use them on my PS5 and they do nothing to fix it, only telling me "that will be fixed SOMETIME this year"

• ScSc Member

after testing my dd+ the last few days with 457 it is still working fine.

Setup:

CS DD+ // GR48300XXXX // no noticeable coil whine

CS RS Wheel

Driver: 457 (no hotfix)

Playing about 2-3 hours daily on PS5 (CFI1116 Disc) // GT7 // ACC

Using og usb cable on front port

question regarding full force test. Feels great so far but the engine demo sounds pretty weird (metallic grinding noise). I think Maurice mentioned that there’s a bug in that test but I can’t find the post anymore

• @Riccardo Arena Trazzi "in F1 22 there is a problem: sometime, unpredictable, if i turn right the steering wheel to turn right the car, the view look left and vice versa. The problem is bilateral."

Do a firmware update 1.0.7.0 on the GT Extreme steering wheel and see if this problem disappears.

• Tae YooTae Yoo Member

Hi Marcel, Maurice, is Fanatec able to to host a questionnaire form/table where users can enter their HW/SW setup and their failure symptoms? Doesn’t have to be fancy, simple table should suffice. Unfortunately the forum is broken so we can't upload / share files.

Analysis is only as good as data provided, it would be ideal if there's a standardized mechanism to collect the data Fanatec needs. Marcel started it on Page8, but I think it needs to be simplified and structured a bit to enforce users to help answer all relative questions.

List all questions Fanatec wants to ask in the form(i.e. User current setup = Base/FW/SN/Wheel/Pedal/PC/PS5/Game/USB connection Front/Back/USB type, etc. Failure mode/problem = disconnect/loss of force/buttons loss).  Basically collect any and all variables, but make it easy and simple to answer, yes/no type or select from list type. This may require someone going back thru this forum thread to re-collect the data... and you may need to reach out to some users if there are missing data to your questionnaire.

Once data is collected, then plot and evaluate to see if there's any common trend and to narrow the scope. I also think we need to focus on 1 problem at a time, dealing with multiple problems can yield misleading results. For example, fix disconnect problem only, then move onto loss of FFB, etc.

I am certain Fanatec has/is doing most of this, but I think this community can and willing help Fanatec if we provide the means.  My 2cents. Thanks!

• yeah that doesnt matter dude. no one cares that you weren't able to replicate the problems. customers still have problems with very expensive, but now useless, equipment. The matter of the fact is you guys clearly have a production problem, right? if none of the units you have do this, then doesnt that tell you it's probably not software related, but most likely hardware related then? production problems? how would software problems only affect certain units? the fact that it's been MONTHS since release and there is STILL no fix, is absolutely unacceptable. Use some of the returned units to test then. figure it out. go grab a ton of units from your warehouse and start testing. figure it out dude. Do you not understand how unacceptable it is for a company to release a product with this many issues after taking well over $1000 of peoples money? especially with little to no way of getting support for that product. RMA? good luck. Return? Good luck. Refund? Good luck. GET PROPER CUSTOMER SERVICE! unreal how horrible this company is at just simply running a business. so unacceptable.

• @Ian Cutrona

First, they released a product after testing and had no issues. Every company find with any new to market product that when the volume of products increases then there will be issues that weren’t found during internal testing. So yes absolutely acceptable because it is perfectly normal that this happens.

Second, you suggest they use returned products to test, I have come on and just read through to catch up because I haven’t been on since before the weekend. I read a message stating that this is exactly what they are doing. This process takes time. I know this from personal experience when looking for faults on products sold by the company I used to work for. I spent 10 hours a day 6 days a week looking for a fault that we had never seen. It took me 3 weeks to find it on 5 machines we knew it had occurred on.

I completely understand your frustration, but these things do take time. Fanatec are not hiding from this. They are talking to us to gather as much information as they can but what would you like them to do when they can’t replicate it. Until they do they can’t find or fix the fault. As I said this is normal. I remember apple breaking their phones and it taking weeks for fixes to get released. Samsung phones/ tablets I don’t recall which, overheating and bursting into flames. Microsoft, well all I need to say is Windows. Not one of them has ever worked 100% ever. These are 3 of the biggest tech companies around and even they mess things up. It is the way of the world we live in now unfortunately. Should it be this way, no but no tech company nowadays release products that are 100%.

• edited May 7

Hi Maurice, or Marcel,

perhaps a stupid question. But how do I install this hotfix 2.1.0.4 from Page 8?

https://admin.forum.fanatec.com/uploads/366/L3YB3A1RKYUS.zip

Many thanks and kind regards, Thomas

• When you download it go to the file and unzip/uncompress it. Then in the manual update there is a root folder towards the bottom. Use the file browser to find the unzipped version and select it. Then click update.

• Thank you, it worked.

• Ian CutronaIan Cutrona Member
    edited May 7

@onesell that does not excuse the fact that customers have no recourse in dealing with these problems. That’s what you seem to not get. Why is ANYONE in defense of this company at this point? Unreal. I’ve never seen such a thing. There is pretty much no way of a customer getting a solution for this problem in over 4 months now. 4 months. That is unacceptable. So the customer has choices, right? Send back for a fix. Ok cool. How does that work with fanatec? Send email and wait months for a response to then get asked dumb questions one by one taking months of frustration before you can even send your product in for return. Horrible system. Option two is to get a refund. How does that seem to be working for people? Again, no response from their non-existent customer service. So customers are left having to file claims with their banks or credit card companies to get their money back. Every bit of this situation is indefensible. If they can’t figure out what the problem is in a timely manner, then they need to have some sort of recall on their product until they figure it out and give every customer their money back. There are a million ways for them to handle this situation. All of which would currently be better than what they are doing. Which is seemingly nothing. In the meantime, they could hire a proper customer service department to handle this properly. But they’d rather lose customers, and millions of dollars instead of just hiring a proper customer service team to handle their customer service needs properly. Every bit of this situation is indefensible.

and your response to people that have purchased something that cost them well over $1000 of their hard-earned money, is to be patient. For how long, huh? How long does someone have to wait for their $1000 product to work properly? As we’re currently sitting it’s been over 4 months for people. So you think it’s acceptable that some people haven’t gotten resolution on this situation in over 4 months? This seems reasonable to you? Purchasing something for over $1000 and not being able to use it and it just sitting there gathering dust while you wait for their lack of customer service responses for months on end? This is acceptable and defensible to you? All tech companies have problems so it’s ok. Got it. Gtfo dude. Every single one of those companies you just named that had issues were able to handle those issues immediately and timely. Yes, stuff happens, but it’s your responses to those things that matters. What is happening right now with them is indefensible and ridiculous that anyone you even consider defending it.

• Really? Samsung took months before eventually admitting fault and recalling the Note ?? But that was timely. Microsoft made a mistake in an update that stopped PC’s from updating for months. Was that timely. Give me a break. If multi billion dollar companies have these issues the Fanatec have no chance.

However, I posted in here at 11:30pm the other night and Maurice answered me within 10 minutes. That’s PM but he took the time to answer me. Their customer services have been overwhelmed by requests, mainly related to Black Friday (rightly so) but their staff, if you choose to believe what has been written in here are working overtime in the evenings and on weekends to attempt to catch up. Was that their fault? Absolutely not! It was people a lot higher up than the people we are trying to deal with who are working their arses off trying to help people in the best way they can and a quickly as possible. Is the time frame acceptable, no is it hell but try showing a little respect to the workers who are here and trying to help! If you want to vent, and I completely understand why you would, send a strongly worded email to the management who made the decisions that contributed to where we find ourselves instead of aiming your frustration at the couple of people who are in here day and night trying to help you.

• CS DD+ SN: GR473006130

PC platform

Driver 455 and the corresponding firmware versions:

Had some initial problems and needed couple of times to successfully update the firmware. Other than that all worked OK.

Driver 456 and the corresponding firmware versions:

The wheel Formula v2.5X disconnected during an ACC race.

Driver 457 and the corresponding firmware versions:

Until now all seems OK without disconnects and FFB issues.

The firmware for the CSL + Load Cell pedals is from driver 455. My setup don't give me easy access to connect the USB cable for firmware update on pedals. I will do it in near future.

I'm using an USB 3.2 port and using the original USB cable for the Base without extensions, etc.

• @Ian Cutrona

the same thing is happening with the overpriced PBMR, got two of them and cant use them on the PS5 with GT7 and the statement of Maurice was "will be fixed SOMETIME this year" thats soooo damn notCOOL :(

• A few days have passed since your publication, but if my answer is still useful, I went from 454 to 457 without problems

• edited May 8

Wheel Base Model (product ID): CS DD+ S/N GR104008xxx

Steering Wheel Model (product ID): GT Extreme Wheel and McLaren V2 wheel

Driver Version: 457

Base FW Version: 2.1.0.3

Wireless QR: 1.1.0.1

Wheel FW Version: as per wheel

FanaLab Version: 2.01.32

PC use only.

Iracing and Dirt 2 tested.

Initially had on Driver base 455..had 2 wheel disconnects over a week ...but more annoyingly intermittent clutch action in Iracing.

Interesting that the fault condidtions did not show up in the first few days of setting up wheelbase. Did not see any pattern to the disconnects ...but only happened 2 times. The intermittent clutch actions always occurred on corners in iRacing and re-occurred at same corner each lap. Rebooting PC, re-starting iRacing had no effect. ..or at least it did not appear to. once it started to occur, I could reliably recreated at the sane track/car/postion combinaton.

Installed driver 456 but intermittent clutch action still occurring. ...to be fair I did not remove drivers before installing v456..so this could have contributed.

Installation of driver 457 stalled near the end...so completely remove drivers and Fanalab software. Installed Driver 457 and corresponding Fanalab.

No issues experienced over the last 3 days.

• Ralf BellRalf Bell Member

I have the following problem. Since I installed driver 457, my wheelbase “Fanatec Podium DD2” only has 20Nm instead of the 25Nm. All drivers are up to date and I use it under Windows 11. A few days ago I mounted a new "Rexing Mayaris 1.1" wheel on a new "Fanatec Podium Hub" without any problems.

Could it be related to this?

THX in advance for your feedback

RALF

--> Driver Version: 457 / Wheel Base: 3.1.0.7 / Wheel Baase Motor: 3.0.0.2 / Steering Wheel: 6 / Wireless QR: 7