Firmware update loop with Formula V2.5 X

Hello, I received my order for the CS Formula V2.5 X wheel, paired with the QR Base slide (M), and QR2 Pro. Everything came together easily and connected with my DD2. At the first boot Fanalab recognzied the wheel, but asked me to update the firmware to 455. Reluctantly I went for it. Unfortunately now it will upate and then start again, over and over.

I have tried uninstalling all the Fanatec software, rebooting, and reinstalling a the most recent version of Fanalab. I opened up the QR Base slice to ensure the connections were tight and the cables weren't pinched. All good. Yet, when I booted it all up I received the same request to update the firmware and the same firmware boot loop - the wheel is unrecognized by Fanalab.

I reinstalled the old wheel, but now have a dilemna. I have about five days to either fix it or return for a refund as my refund window is approaching. I haven't found any fixes anywhere - if I've missed it, I'm sorry as I have looked. Any suggetions are welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• MadDog-ICMadDog-IC Member

Update to Fanatec Driver 457 and accompaning FW, I think 455 had the problem of getting the wheels ID on boot and reports as 0, hense the endless loop to update.

• Hi, did you fix it?

• Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will give that a try and let you know!

• Hi,

have you manage to solve your issue? I have exactly the same problem with mine Formula v2.5 which I got 20th of May.

• Okay, fixed. Sorry for the delay, I was out of town and only now had a chance to work on this.

I received an email from Fanatec (below). I downloaded 457, then followed the bootloader mode instructions. Then updated to 455 I think and it worked. Wheel was recognized and no update loop. At one point the DD2 screen said "to calibrate press menu sticks", however that didn't do anything. I rebooted. When it came back up, I installed 457 by double clicking and following the prompts (I left everything default). Finally, when I launched the Fanatec Control Panel, it said there was a firmware update. Terrified though I was, I went for it and it all went smoothly.

The only issue I struggled with was the clutch bite point. It was difficult to figure out. It was grayed out in the Fanatec Control Panel, however I figured out the center knob on the wheel interfaces in real time with the Fanatec Control Panel. One I moved it to the cluth bite point setting, I was able to set the clutch bite point in the game. However, it only reads 50. Used to be with both paddles pulled the whee's screen would say 100, then I could let the right out and hold the left in and adjust it to 50. Now, both in say 50. However, it works fine.

I hope this helps you get your new wheel workin !

From Fanatec tech support:

To rule out a problem on the hardware side, we recommend performing the following steps:

1. remove the steering wheel from the Wheel Base.

2. check the USB port on the back of the Wheel Base and the USB cable for damage.

3. ensure that the Wheel Base is connected directly to a Windows PC via USB. Do not use a USB hub or a USB extension cable, as this can cause problems. We always recommend connecting the device directly to one of the available USB ports on your PC's motherboard!

On the software side, we recommend performing the following:

4. if there are no visible hardware problems, try starting the Wheel Base in bootloader mode. 

To do this, press and hold the power button for 8 seconds while the Wheel Base is connected via USB to your PC, on which the current FANATEC driver is also installed. 

The firmware updater will then appear on the PC screen and you can carry out the update. Once you have done this, try to restart the Wheel Base.