When rubber coating turns to goo

Jack PickettJack Pickett Member
edited July 17 in Off Topic

I have a BMW M3 GT2 (V1) and the rubberized coating on the rear plastic cover has turned into a sticky gooey mess. Has anybody encountered this and what can I use to clean it off without damaging the plastic. I thought maybe Goo Gone might work if nobody can help.

Also have a Porsche 918 RSR and its rear rubberized coated plastic cover is unaffected.

Comments

• the back of my 918 RSR wheel had the same goo problem - so sounds like there was some variance in materials. I used a citrus based goo remover which helped

• Hi Neil,

The Goo Gone (citrus based) worked ok, was hoping the rubber would just drip off but had to work it off with a rag and had to apply it three times. It's down to bare plastic now, so all good.

• good to hear. I had to work it as well. BTW I moved my 918 RSR to QR2 w the SRM conversion kit and can highly recommend it along w the mag shifter conversion

• That's funny. I just finished up installing Simons QR2 v6 adapters on my BMW and Porsche wheels. Had his magnetic shifters on the Porsche wheel for a few years now. My Formula Carbon is next.