Fanatec Beta Driver V361 (now V365) for CSL, CSW and Podium Bases (all wheels)

Comments

• Good afternoon!

First of all, I want to thank the Fanatek team for the work that they do for us! This is a great job you do! And personally, I understand all your difficulties and problems that you work with every day!

Friends - all those who have products from Fanatek, you must understand that the guys from Fanatek have been working with Direct Drive for only a year! and their competitors on this product for several years! Yes, I understand disappointment, frustration, resentment, pain ... when your product does not work or does not work correctly, but I am sure that the whole Fanatek and Thomas team experiences this pain. I am sure that they are doing everything possible to make your product better!

I can say that no one writes on the forum here, that everything is good and everything works for everyone - everyone writes only bad, but I can tell you my experience!

I used fanatek dd1 version for pc. I tried all the drivers and everything worked well - I have all the wheels, and I had no problems including Fanalab 1.24. I played all the games that are! and it was a fantastic experience!

two weeks ago I sold my equipment completely! and now I'm buying a new one! - my budget for the construction of a new cockpit is 10,000 euros - for this money I can choose any equipment! but you know I chose Fanatek again! why?

because these guys make the best product and bring it to the end!

Yes, I read this forum and I'm scared) that I may have problems too - but I believe in them! And believe me, I have more problems than many of you, because I live in Russia and Fanatek still does not sell to us in Russia and I have no chance to use their guarantee - because it is very difficult!

but I still chose Fanatek!

The only thing I see is the problem in organizing this forum, because everything is in one heap - and it is very difficult to find information on beta drivers.

I recommend Fanatek to change the approach and divide topics into topics for DD2, DD1 PC, DD1 PS4, Club Sport 2.5 - this will help you manage the situation, and users will help each other - communication in such things is very important! and it turns out you sometimes answer the same questions several times - and look at 35-36 pages of unnecessary information when the user is offended, angry - this only adds negativity to you and others! Think about it! If you are doing beta tests on users who are consciously doing this, then simply solve this problem and it will be easier!

Moreover, I am sure that among the community you can find moderators of their sections who could help you!

and of course your forum is not very convenient! it’s very difficult sometimes to share something and leave a photo! - Take an example with a racedepartment.com - this is the ideal forum! in my opinion - thanks!

In any case, I want to once again thank you and wish you patience and strength in order to finish what you started in the best way!

PS: In conclusion, I want to ask the Administrator Maurice or Marcel to help me:

1. where can I find information that if I install DD1 PS4, drivers 356 or 365 on my new base — while I update the base firmware and the motor firmware — how can I correctly roll back to the driver, to the base firmware, to Motor firmware - back to standard version? I will be very grateful!

2. is there an opportunity if something happens to me with the base then how can I send it to you for repair from Russia?

Thank!

• I did it!!!!! I upgraded successfully from driver v346 to v365 (three-six-five). 

I'm sitting here with a big smile as I just had the most fantastic experience, driving a Porsche 911 RSR in Brands Hatch GP in GT Sport with my Podium Racing Wheel F1 (DD1 PS4), running the new driver v365. 

Here is my story.

So a while back in December 2019 I ordered the Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R. At that time I had already bought the Podium Racing Wheel F1, but I wanted a nice GT3 wheel as well. 

My base was at that point running the official stock driver/firmware v335 so it was time to upgrade the get the PBME working. So to prepare for the 911 GT3 wheel, I did an upgrade to driver v356 and upgraded the firmware for the base, motor and wheel. I was very sad to see that it messed everything up with strange spinning wheel rim loss of FFB and a fan that would go 100% all the time despite of upgrading the motor firmware. A support ticket was opened and I had a very long dialogue with Fanatec support but all tries failed. In the end I had to send the unit (base and wheel rim) in on an RMA. The unit was returned to me stating it was fixed with the firmware from driver v347 installed and the fan still running 100%. It didn't take long before I returned the unit again on a new RMA. 10 days later I collected the package at UPS to find that an entire new base with original F1 wheel had been shipped to me. The base was beyond repair according to support. The firmware from driver v347 was installed and reading that this driver is not for DD's I immediately downgraded to v346 which I have run ever since. 

I got used to the FFB feeling with v346, this was way better than v335 but I still couldn't run my 911 GT3 wheel (well I could but with a non-functional PBME). So today I took the plunge, sat down in front of my PC and read some positive notes on the latest v365 driver. 

I knew I had to do the upgrade if I wanted the full experience of the 911 GT3 wheel but I was very afraid to brick my new base again. Still I couldn't resist based on the positive feedback from other users. 

I downloaded the v365 driver package and read the installation instructions very carefully. I then compared to my own notes based on many user posts from the forum and the install instructions by Keith Griffall.

I decided to do the upgrade, following my own notes supported by the included instructions with the driver. It turned out very good. 

I never imagined that the final result and experience would be as good as it is. It is beyond words, you have to drive it to know what I am talking about. So much fidelity, details from curbs and road, feeling the weight of the car move, tire slip and grip and so much more. 

I can highly recommend that you do an upgrade to the new beta driver, that is if you have a DD1 PS4 model (Podium Racing Wheel F1), but be aware that is is a beta driver so your result may vary. 

So here is that I did to do the upgrade and the tuning setup I am running:

Started out with the following driver and firmware

V346: Base FW v662, Motor FW v30

Upgraded to:

V365: Base FW v672, Motor FW v38

The upgrade was done on a very old PC running Windows 10 Home version 1909 (build 18363.720) with USB 2.0 ports and only having a keyboard, mouse and network cable attached to the PC at the time of the upgrade).

Recorded all setup settings from the tuning menu before I did the upgrade (they will be deleted when you upgrade).

Here is a step-by-step description which is basically the official installation instruction with a lot of powering on/off the base and removing unnecessary equipment.

1. Powered on the base and changed to PC mode

3. Powered off the base

4. Removed cable from pedals

5. Removed Hi Torque USB, only cable to PC connected

6. Made sure all other unnecessary equipment was turned off to avoid electrical interference

6. Removed the wheel rim from the base

7. Turned on the PC

8. Uninstalled driver v346

9. Restarted PC

10. Installed driver v365

11. Restarted PC

12. Turned on the base

13. Opened the Fanatec Wheel Property Page

14. Clicked Yes to upgrade the firmware of the base

15. Powered off the base

17. Put on the 911 GT3 wheel rim (PBME USB cable unplugged from HUB)

18. Powered on the base

19. Calibrated the Wheel center from the Fanatec Wheel Property Page

20. Powered off the base

21. Removed the 911 GT3 wheel rim

22. Powered on the base

23. Opened the Fanatec Wheel Property Page and upgraded the Motor firmware

24. Opened the Fanatec Wheel Property Page and calibrated the motor

25. Closed the Fanatec Wheel Property Page 

25. Powered off the base

26. Put on the 911 GT3 wheel rim

27. Powered on the base

28. Opened the Fanatec Wheel Property Page 

29. Upgraded the HUB

30. Opened the Fanatec Wheel Property Page 

31. Upgraded the 911 GT3 wheel rim firmware

32. Powered off the base

33. Plugged in the PBME USB cable to the HUB

34. Powered on the base

35. Opened the Fanatec Wheel Property Page and upgraded the PBME firmware

36. Powered off the base

37. Powered off the PC

38. Inserted the cable from the pedals directly in the base

39. Inserted the Hi Torque USB

40. Powered on the PC and base

41. Opened the Fanatec Wheel Property Page and verified all firmware was OK.

After doing the upgraded of the driver and firmware, I changed the Setup 1 to hold the settings for GT Sport (inital settings that will probably change as I get it fine tuned):

Setup 1 - GT Sport F1 wheel rim

SEN: AUTO, FFB: 75, LIN: ON, NDP: 15, NFR: 5, NIN: 35, INT: 8, FEI: 70, FOR: 100, SPR: 100, DPR: 100, BLI: 100, SHO: 100, MPS: AUTO, APM: Clutch bite point, BRF: 85

Setup 1 - GT Sport 911 GT3 wheel rim, all of the above but FFB: 100

GT Sport In game settings

Controller Steering Sensitivity: 3

Force Feedback Max. Torque: 2

Force Feedback Sensitivity: 10

I have made a Google sheet with all settings for the Podium Racing Wheel F1 and the various games I play, which you can use as a good baseline. It will be changed on an ongoing basis when I finetune the Podium Racing Wheel F1 and in game settings and learn more from forum posts: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sYwv8pkPGyHkVfeFljGt_DEa8VtBfzStwQdu4G9ey5I/edit?usp=sharing

I based my own settings on various users posts, so thank you to all in the forum.

Thank you Fanatec for all the hard work, now I can enjoy my Fanatec equipment.

• TL;DR please, lol.

• So with the last drivers I've been having an issue where if I get a big hit in iracing the wheel will spin away in one direction and continue spinning. using the power button on the e-stop does not turn the wheel off. I have to actually hit the e-stop to power the wheel down.

Is this a currently reported issue?

• yes it is and its actually #1 on the issue list, so has top prio.

• Not that im looking to do it more than happy with driver 365 and current firmware but after the great instruction on how to upgrade driver above can someone do a detailed explanation of how to roll back drivers and firmware . Does the previous Firmware also download when u download old drivers ??

• edited May 2020

The 41 steps above is way too overkill and could have been done in 10 steps. Its much easier than it looks by that list.

When you want to downgrade, simply uninstall the driver, restart pc, install the older driver, restart the pc, open the Fanatec Property Page and click on update for everything in the Update Tab. It will tell you that your flashed firmware is more recent than the one contained in the driver, which you have to accept by clicking ok. Everything else is self-explaining. Its no magic, just following the instructions which the tools show you. IOf you follow the steps you cant make anything wrong.

• Thanks appreciated.

• Recently installed 365 with Formula V2. Wheelbase 673, Motor 38 and Wheel 34.

In the Fanatec Wheel Properties, Function test tab, rotating the rotary encoder switches just shows a + if rotated clockwise and a - if the other way. The previous numbers, 1 - 12, have disappeared.

• You need to set the MPS mode back to Pulse or Constant in the Tuning Menu.

• "Known Issues

ClubSport Universal Hub issues:

• Only X and B buttons work the rest is not send."

Why on earth is this in a released version? This is a showstopper and needs fixed immediately.

• What is your point? Remind me when Fanatec last released software that wasn't beta?

There is no reason why something which worked in the last beta release doesn't work in this beta release - other than sloppy development. 🤨

• Just roll back to the last Beta that worked for you. 😊 ..Save everyone an ear bashing 🙄

• edited May 2020

I feel like I'm starting to understand some of the subtleties of these new drivers (365 / DD2).

With the 346 version, I was fluid everywhere. In Assetto Corsa, even when stopped on the track, steering from left to right with 100% dampening, everything was ok. With the 365 version, to have the same feeling, I have to stop at 40% dampening.

If I go up to 100%, I feel like of a metallic friction in the steering (even with natural friction at 0). It's like the range of settings was a lot wider. I was thinking there was something wrong but I only had to lower here to solve this "issue".

So now i drive on AC with the following settings which allow me to have a more detailed FFB compared to the 346 (in any case it is my impression) : FF 100 / LIN 0 / NDP 30 / NFR 0 / NIN 2 / INT 8 / FEI 70 / FOR 100 / SPR 100 / DPR 40.

I really feel that the setting ranges are wider than with the old drivers, and our own settings are decisive and can make a mess in the feelings if we do not spend enough time there.

I post this same message in the topic of assetto corsa, if that can help somebody.

It still remains to solve these problems of jerks with the analysis screen of the FFB and this "poc" at the extinction. But things are getting better - for me anyway - and I wanted to share it.

• I think it's best to stick with 346 as it is very stable. I've been running it for a few months now, every day. This is since my first DD1 bricked due to using Fanalab and 356 - they did lots of strange things to my PC and Windows 10.

You get what you get and 346 appears to be the capability of the DD Wheelbase from Fanatec. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in the developers at Fanatec, given their track record and this ongoing messing around with trying to find a Holly Grail in FFB for all their bases. Yes, as someone put it, it is sloppy development at this point in time now.

Fanatec are great products, but all products have their limitations. I am hoping though that an improved stable (Non-Beta) version is established and released officially though.

• i am using 356 with no problems...

• Have you tried v365? Oh was on 346 until a week ago but still had the odd issue with it. Haven't had a single problem yet with 365 after about 10 hours logged on it.

• edited May 2020

just wanted to share the combination that (finally) resolved the notchy/coil whine/hummering with my CSL Elite v1.1:

Spent the last 3 days trying all combinations suggested in previous threads, and i can firmly say that (at least for my case), anything after base FW 640 brings notchy/coilwhine (regardless if its with Wheel FW 18/20/22), i tried them all and while some give better results than others, at the end it always appeared again. Not anymore, with the combination below, everything is finally as it should be.

Hope someone with the same issue can get it resolved as this was really ruining the experience...

• Driver Version: 328
    • Base FW Version: 629
    • Wheel FW Version: 22

• You may not have any immediate problems. I was also using 356 with no problems at the start. 346 is still listed as the "official" Driver on the website. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but it's been a long time since a new official driver has been released.

• I think people forget something....

Let's forget for moments the PMBE cause I can't agree on this one, it was released without official stable driver and is still on beta along with Fanalab, that is on the same boat.

The rest of the products have stable versions working. A company is not obligated to improve nothing, they release a product working and that's it. You have a lot of products the get one or two drivers to correct some mistakes and that's it. So thanks Fanatec for keep trying to improve new and old products constantly.

You all need to understand this takes time and resources and that is not an obligation.

• I don't know if you recall, but when Fanatec started advertising the Podium Wheel bases it was advertised with certain additional features. One of these features was Fanalab. And Fanalab is still in Beta, as you have stated and does cause problems and is incomplete. An example is functions demonstrated and promised, like the Clutch Bite Point Mode software, like with the McLaren wheel. This never eventuated, but it was promoted on screen. It was promoted and demonstrated by Sim Race Girl and although very unprofessionally, poorly presented and hard to understand her English pronunciations, it was in fact demonstrated as a feature of Fanalab and as "features and benefits" of the Podium wheel bases.

In this case, we are selling products that don't work or function as indicated and promoted to do.

So ,they are in fact obligated to provide stable and complete drivers or firmware that allows you to use a product as intended that you have purchased. In other words, people may not have purchased a Podium wheel base, if these features were not offered. There is plenty of legal precedent on this, if you check.

• All the Beta's have issues - that's why none have ever made it into full release. If you are happy with that then good for you. I however, will continue to raise the issues that are present in the Betas in the hope that Fanatec correct them - because that is what this Beta feedback forum is for.

If you don't want to hear people discussing issues with Beta software, I suggest you save your ears from being bashed by spending time somewhere other than a Beta feedback forum.

I stand by my point that to introduce a new bug during beta development that makes a fundamental part of your ecosystem crippled, then to release that software for public beta testing, is rank stupidity.

• If you read with attention, I mentioned PBME and Fanalab...

About the clutch bite point, the system works, you don't need Fanalab for that, I use it with or without Fanalab...

Fanalab even in beta is working for me since beginning flawless...

• What is "Clutch Bite Point Mode software" ??

I've never heard of that

As you sit in the car pull in one paddle and adjust the Clutch Bite Point by adjusting the funkey switch down until the car starts to roll

• edited May 2020

So you make all 5 pages of ITM work without problems ??

It's nice that you don't have problems with Fanalab, beta drivers and so on, but there are people who have problems with it so be glad you don't have problems instead of picking a fight with people who are having problems.

Ps I have no problems with Fanalab or drivers, but I know how frustrating it can be ..

• Never said I make all 5 pages work, what I said is what's working atm I don't have problems...

Read the first post I made and maybe you'll understand what I tried to say, never meant to be a fight.

• Update my Wheel base: CSW 2.5 to Driver Beta v365 and now it happens to me as a companion Clint Bergman, when you turn on the base and the Fanatec F logo appears it is distorted and the base restarts, it has been restarting for 3 or 4 times in a row, the steering wheel also appears as a CSL Elite when it is a Formula v2.

Also if you leave the base on unused every 10 minutes it restarts on its own.

Forgive my English, a greeting and thanks

• I haven't tried v356 only 365 after 346 and am finding it heaps better Iin every way except for the turn off clunk

• I totally agree, I did the same with my new Podium Formula 1 (DD1 PS4). It was sent to me with v347, so I downgraded to v346, but just upgraded to v365 which is a massive improvement.

This discussion has been closed.