CSL DD - Burning smell from motor

Hi all,

Just purchased a new CSL DD. After a day of usage and having no issues, was playing AAC today and all of a sudden the power cut. Then i started to smell something coming from the motor. I immediate unplugged all the cables and let it sit for 30mins. Everything was plugged into a powersurge souce.

I was able to turn it on, wheel caliberate, forcefeedback test, etc. but after 2mins of driving in AAC, shuts off again.

Boxed it up and ready to return it but not a good experience so far. Read similar stories online of others having motor burnings but that was awhile ago and it surprisely to learn it can still occur today out of the box without any heavy usage.

Comments

• Hi, i have almost same problem, maybe worst. I play ACC for 2 hours on brand new CSL DD. It was perfekt and like a blitz from the sky, wheel was shut off. And like you, burning smell and tears in my eyes. Base was pretty hot and if i tryed to turn it on. Nothing happend. In app was No fanatec device found! Just red diode was shining.

I was contact support and after 2 day RMA arrive. Today i saw new order was send new. But nothing information from support. I dont know if they send me new or they fixed a broke piece. I hope it was just anomaly but if you read forum... I will pray

Have a nice day

• Mesaged them on the 27th, they replied back on the 28th, RMA was finalized until 30th. Packed and shipped it with FEDEX on the 30th. Will continue to update this thread on the RMA process to keep things transparent for future buyers in North America.

Did you return your power supply as well? I had one email telling me not to return it but the RMA email told me to return it. I included it in the return but will be sending an email back to Fanatec to ensure it's included when they return me a new unit. In the email, it did specifically say "Once we receive your unit(s), our technical support will send out a new unit", so I am fully expecting a new unit, not a fixed one. Again, this was a brand new unit, less than 1 day old.

• Yes. I did return power supply. I had just one email. Terrible comunication with customers. I think they send a brand new unit because i see new serial number.

• Hello,i am having the same problem...Just 2 days in use for no more than 30-40 minutes,today i decided to use the recomended FFB settings from Fanatec and not more than 20 minutes in game,it shut down,overheated in the back of the base and the burned smell of electronics.I made a tiket but i dont know if it got trough because i didnt receive confirmation email.

What should i do next?

• Same issue here!! BURNING FROM THE BACK, Instant loss of power, excessive heat on back. I have only been using it for a few hours. i did the upgraded power to 8nm. Seems to be a common issue ugh.

• Wait. Support is very slow. But they will solution your problem well. Be patient. I know how frustrating is this. On friday i got a new piece of base and after few hours is so far ok.

I hope this piece will be ok.

• Raymond MachRaymond Mach Member
    edited July 2023

Hi all,

Just wanted to provide some info and context on my personal RMA experience. (Canadian)

June 14th, 2023 - order bundle

June 26th - final product arrives. Setup to test and working, light play of an hour

June 27th - burnt motor after 2 hours. Open ticket same day.

June 28th - RMA ticket confirmed, shipping info provided in a separate email.

June 29th - shipping details emailed, dropped unit off at post office same day

July 6th - unit arrives at Fanatec facility in USA

July 10th - RMA completed, confirmed new unit will be shipped

July 11th - order visible in my account order history for CSL DD . No serial, so unsure if new or repaired. They reassured me multiple times that this will be a brand new unit. Order confirmed processed and shipped.

Will update again once it arrives and tested.

Yes, the process is slow. You will not get instant same day response unless it's a follow up question usually. But they were mostly clear in communicating the process and did answer my follow ups. Their team even emailed me when the RMA was completed.

Yes it sucks having to wait almost a full month since initially ordering to hope and pray the unit that comes in this time doesn't experience the same issue.

What blows my mind is Quality control when "every unit is tested before shipping". Not sure they can reassure customers of this because if that was the case , these should be avoidable.

• RMA received on July 21st.

• First day received the CSL DD Ready2Race Bundle. 8Nm version. The unit kept on turning itself off. Hold the power button for 10 sec, then smoke came out of the wheelbase. after that, it won't power on any more. I have not had a chance to use the wheel at all. Very disappointment with Fanatec in their quality control.

• Hello everyone, had the same exact issue yesterday. I was playing ACC, brand new 8Nm CLS DD, not even two hours of gameplay when out of nowhere my DD stopped responding and there was a burning smell. Couldn't believe it, tried after one hour and the same thing happened, now I see here that this might be a very common issue. Why a company like Fanatec would have such a bad QC issue like this one?

• Similar issue here. Installed the CSL DD Ready2 Race Bundle 5Nm version on Saturday. Played for a few hours without any problem. Then I turned it on again on Sunday and within 5 min in GT 7 I noticed that the throttle and brake input were going down to about 50%. After 20 sec or so the wheel lost connection so I turned everything off and restarted. All I got is a fast flashing blue light. Turned off again and now it won't turn on again. The power supply shows a green light but the power button on the wheelbase stays dark. I tried the power supply on a servo motor that I had laying around. The motor wouldn't turn on so there is a chance it's the power supply. I'm trying to get one for tomorrow and test again.

• edited September 2023

Exactly the same issue here,

*CSL DD 5Nm BMW "Ready2Race"* The Ready2Race part now feels entirely ironic.

29th of August (Tuesday): Wheel and parts arrived , installed, powered up and happy with about half an hour to an hours use. Not yet setup or used pedals. No time through the week to use it due to work.

3rd of September (Sunday): Turn PC on, sit down, turn CSL DD Wheel on, no response, no light on the base. Checked to make sure the power brick was on, power brick light is on, still no response from the CSL DD. Suddenly notice the unmistakable smell of an electronic device that let the smoke out of the box. Sudden sinking feeling that I have been swindled by a shitty expensive product and wishing I had given the Cammus C5 a crack.

3rd of September (Still Sunday): Find out there is no reliable way to contact Fanatec, which usually indicates that they are so swamped with warranty work it's the only way they can triage the workload, further sinking feeling. Then searching CSL DD failures and seeing the incredibly scary amount of scenarios exactly the same as mine and finding out noone is getting anything replaced inside a month. Blood starting to boil. Lodge a support claim to start the lengthy process to get a working unit for the money already handed over.

5th of September (Tuesday): Still no response from Fanatec. Severe dissapointment at buying from Fanatec whom I thought was the reputable brand.

• i had the same issue here with CSL DD 8nm waited a month for it to be delivered after 2 hrs i saw light smoke coming out of it and burning smell. i disconnected it and waited for a while then tried again it worked for 5 min then stopped working. emailed support today hoping that it won't take another month to get a replacement

• Hi guys. I have the same problem right now.

How long does it will take to get the new one?

• Hi, gys,

The exact same thing just happened to me!!!!

order placed september 18th, received september 28th,

After 20min on ACC, everything goes out and a burnt smell.

Ticket created on 29th, parcel sent back on October 2nd and received by FANATEC EUROPE yesterday.

You're scaring me

• hey, the same thing here

Got all r2r bundle at 19/10/2023.

after 2-3 hours of playing ACC, I felt the strong smell of burning plastic coming from the wheelbase. At the same time, the ACC stopped recognizing my wheel and pedals. The red light indicator was also off by itself. The back of the base was hot.

I entered the Fanatec Control Panel and noticed that my presets were also dropped to default. The base turned off by itself after a couple of minutes. No matter in game or afk mode.

Ticket was created immediately. Get standard confirmation "We received your support request blabla" from the support at the same day.

• Well...... The same today 😠

• Already 14 on this post ^^ How many of us have received their DD After Rma process?

• The same thing happened to me today. CSL DD 8Nm. I've only had this for 2 weeks and today was the first day I had the time to really play some rally and after a couple of hours it just disconnected and smelled like something was burning :(

• Sorry, now the Next step is to contact support so.

• Hi, same problem today after 2-3 hours on Forza Motorsport :(

CSL DD Mc Laren totally new... Recieved 3 of january !

I send a support ticket but no confirm mail recieved. Is it normal ?

(sorry for my poor english)

• No, if you didn't received a mail do it again!

• Arggg... I've tryed many times to send a ticket in support but never revieve confirmation mail...

I don't understand. I've write a request in the contact form too.

I'm very sad because my steering wheel no longer works at all ;(((

I hope Fanatec will find a solution. It's really incredible... ItIt's not entry-level equipment though...

• Try til you have it, it bugged to me too. One time it's ok they should send you a mail where they're asking you to explain the problem, take video. And then they should respond with RMA process in the end.

•  To conclude RMA process is the only way to resolve your problem but it takes time, I sent back my CSL 8Nm on 18/12/2023, they received it on 29/12/2023 and back with new one today 12/01/2024. Good luck we are too much in the same boat!

• Finally the new one burned too..

• OMG !!!!! 😱

It's terrifying ! I'm more than worried because my CSL DD also burned down. I was finally able to get an automatic email from support. I'm waiting for a contact...

I am terribly disappointed with Fanatec. I saved up to treat myself and switch to what I thought was a big brand... I already regret my G920.