CSL DD (5 Nm) Electronic burning smell from motor and stopped working

New CSL DD, after a month of use, all of a sudden while I was running on ACC, the steering wheel stopped responding and was like turned off.

After a few minutes I began to smell burnt electronics and the back of the motor where the connections are began to get hotter and hotter, so I immediately disconnected everything from the power and stopped doing tests to get it running again.

I opened a ticket to support (336166 CRM:000000700498020) and after a week still no response from support, absolute zero, even though I sent several reminder emails.

Fanatec Telephone support is active only 2 hours a day and I have never been able to talk to them.

I don't know what to expect anymore, if just to answer the ticket takes very long time I dare not imagine how long it will take to solve the problem with the warranty.

Also I am worried because reading on the Fanatec forum I see that this problem is known and is occurring to so many people exactly as it happened to me.

Since in addition to the burning smell it was starting to get hot I am afraid it is possible as well that it could catch fire.

I am asking for feedback from someone who has had this problem, if it has been fixed and in what time frame and if it has been fixed permanently.

Thank you

Comments

• Hello Marco,

I have experienced identical issue. My CSL DD lasted 4 hours! - I have raised a RMA request and received automated acknowledgement of receipt with a reference number yesterday (11.01.24). Now I have to just wait for their appalling customer services to act. I will keep you informed of any progress.

• Just to help did you received mail after opened ticket? If not you have to do it again til you receive this confirmation. To me it tooks some try to get the confirmation. To follow mine too overheated like so many, i'm waiting UPS cause he's back from RMA process today. You were lucky to play 1 month, mine burned after 20 mns. To conclude RMA process is the only way to resolve your problem but it takes time, I sent back my CSL 8Nm on 18/12/2023, they received it on 29/12/2023 and back with new one today 12/01/2024. Good luck we are too much in the same boat!

• can you give more information about when it happened;

1. which steering wheel do you use?

2. which driver and firmware does it use?

3. how much did you set the ffb in the fanatec control panel, and how much in the ACC?

4. did you use the settings that can be adjusted in the fanatec control panel for ACC (Assetto Corsa Competizione (PC) - Fanatec Recommended Settings)?

• So as i said sooner i received a new one from RMA process this afternoon and after almost 4 hours of use he switched off himself like the old one but without this burned odor. Luckily after some mns of waiting i succed to start it again, hope this will stay like this.

I didn't touch any settings in games i use (AC/Forza Horizon 5) and in Fanatec Control panel the FFB is set on 100 % so 8 Nm. I just hope it won't burn again but i won't be surprised if it happen. My trust in Fanatec is unfortunatly lost.

• To respond i don't play ACC just AC and FH5

my wheel: CSL WRC

Driver: 451 the more stable it seems

Firmware wheel base: 1.1.8.5

Firmware wheel base motor 1.0.3.2

• ok, for AC

but otherwise, maybe 4 hours is too much. try to touch the base every now and then when you're driving to check if it's too hot. if it gets too hot, check the settings, maybe reduce it.

since you have 8nm, it is surely overkill for that base. try to get brackets for two venilators. so if your base is too hot and you don't want to reduce the ffb, try putting fans on.

• Too late!!! i tried after 1 hour and a half to play again i down the FFB on 5 nm but this unit is dead too. she's switching off after some mns. I will have to proceed a new RMA again. Unbelievable...

• claim your money back via RMA. say you don't want that bad product and you want your money back.

I would do that

• If Only but i bougt too pedals and shifter and i can't use them with other brand of DD and if i sell them i will loose money so i'm screwed!

• but it is very strange that your second base also broke.

are you sure they returned the first one you returned or did they send you a brand new one?

• They sent a new one, finally it was better to receive repaired mine cause this model of DD have big problem with overheating. So i sent new ticket on support i'm in a New train for some weeks i'm exausted of all this..

• did you get a new adapter?

are you check the voltage at the output of the adapter with a multimeter?

is your base mounted on a metal rig and is it grounded?

• They sent a new DD with new adaptator.

Sorry i don't have multimeter, my base is mounted with screws on a Next level racing folding chair.

• you burned two new bases. you obviously have something wrong in the game maybe. 4 hours play with 90-100 ffb in game is not good.

ffb in game not higher than 70

• This guy is doing good work for Fanatec. He tries every time to blame the failures of Fanatec wheelbases on the customers themselves. Ignore him.

• what are you talking about

• edited January 13

I didn't see anywhere we was limited in playing time, if then the product should have security who stop it before burning. So like first time the DD worked overheated and stop, after that impossible to use again. If your unit stop she is dead !

• When i read, i unsterstand that "recommendation" is not about burning or breaking direct base but about health risks. So this don't justify breaking of it i suppose.

Too during use, i stopped game to switch another one so recommended operation time with continuous force Feedback was respected too. I repeat again but buy this brand as first race sim set up was a mistake, all i have is headache stomachache and nothing to drive.

• "5 minute break after every 20 minutes of use". It's so funny !!! I'am dreaming :)

I'm so sad to have selling my Logitech G920 in this case...

Is it a joke ?

• that these are recommendations for health, but they also help in keeping the equipment

😂

• So if i can't use more than 2 Hours by day, i will all back to Fanatec or sell and never want hear about this brand anymore. I won't use my time to watch the clock when i play.

• edited January 15

Ok thank you but i think one time all will be conclude with my case never i won't use this brand anymore. I prefer return on old technology who work or try other brand enough is enough!

• +1 with Cedric. If it's so complicated to play with a Fanatec when I never asked myself any questions with my Logitech, I prefer to change brands too.

If the base requires a cooling system, then it must be equipped with one by default, that's all.

• all DD bases from all manufacturers should have OEM fans.

but apparently for a deliberate reason they do without, so it breaks more easily. everything is produced that way today.

under with an excuse that they are industrial motors, they can withstand high temperatures, blah blah. probably yes, but electronics not really with high vibrations, especially if the finish is very bad, and today that is not rare.

as if the fans would not bother the users. the fact that when I drive, I drive in silence. LOOL. simracing is a very noisy sport.

• edited January 16

If you can't drive, they are no noise CQFD. Maybe it's Fanatec want buy their products and stay waiting with support .... Most awfull experience of shopping in my life.

• Update after 2 and 1/2 weeks after the ticket is opened without answer and I finally got an email asking me to do unnecessary testing, if as soon as I turn it on it starts to smoke and smell burnt as written on the ticket, maybe there is no point in testing further.

Anyway in the email they also asked for a video of the behavior which I promptly made and sent.

It has been almost another working week since they received the video, in which they have not responded to me.

• edited January 18

I sent my ticket with videos 6 days ago and no answer yet... The first time it takes 2 days to get my RMA...