Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• Where can i find older firmware files my wheelbase is currently 684? Im troubleshooting cause im having disconnection and freezing issue with my CSL Elite. Changing only pc drivers doesn't help.

• eh nothing .... I can not use the itm screens for almost always and they think of a new ui ..... serious

• because the firmware devs and UI devs are the same...

• Is this based on knowledge or speculation? It's generally something to be avoided. Devs thought process is very different from users. That's why UI, UX and UAT are things.

• sorry but this does not solve the problem🤷‍♂️

• If you are lucky, they will solve your problem in a couple of years.

• Same for me. DD2 using standard screen I get jolts randomly in AMS 2, RaceRoom and DR2. It's mostly 1 in around 2h with also reduced FEI to 90.

For me it seems they are happening when a lot FFB effects are coming never had one standing or just rolling. I thought already a few month ago maybe the cpu could be to weak, this would also explain why there are a lot more jolts with analysis screen running in parallel.

But without clear feedback from Fanatec this is all guessing.

• It's more likely that the software is just badly written and not optimised. That might explain why they have made zero progress - it can't be fixed by fiddling it needs rewritten from scratch.

That might also explain why we get zero updates - they just keep quiet - too ashamed to admit what a mess their software development is.

If so, our only hope (and probably what Fanatec are banking on) - is that the complete rewrite that they are currently undertaking to enable the new BMW wheel and the QR2 fixes it.

• honestly i am not upset because there is a problem, i am upset because this has been ignored for too long and nobody in fanatec responds ..... i am sincerely thinking of migrating to simcube2

• ofc it doesn't, but you can't blame the UI devs, if the firmware devs take so long to fix the ITM jolts.

• sascha do not misunderstand, I appreciate your wanting to help users, and I do not blame one developer or the other, I blame fanatec because it is his responsibility! I bought a product that is not in line with the proposed features, with whom I should take it second you?

• Can you use Fanatec wheels with Simucube? Or, I hope even the new Thrustmaster DD wheelbase, which I believe is in the works. That way we can ditch the failed Fanatec DD wheelbases and migrate to other brands. Such a shame to waste the Fanatec wheels, which work well enough, along with the pedals that are compatible with other brand at least.

• Just want to say I sold my DD1 and purchased a simucube 2 Pro. I had a great time with the base but there were issues with the base simply not getting the attention deserved, the focus lately seems to be on solely pushing out entry level hardware and focusing on esports rather than the current product lineup.

The ITM jolts have been promised a fix for over 12 months and then I discover on the product page that now the ITM is designed to be used for a short amount of time, indicating a fix may never be coming and the solution was always going to be... dont use it.

Fanatec must know they have the worst direct drive quick release on the market, QR2 is probably far more exciting than just about anything else for current DD owners and yet nothing.

No new firmware update in months, no improvement to motor calibration software, better not to calibrate it at all.

Fanatec needs to focus not only on new hardware but current hardware.

Credit where its due though, fanatec provided me with some of the best customer care I've experienced, when I asked for help or replacement parts, they provided. Maybe one day I'll be back but more needed to be done to keep me onboard.

Have fun guys.

• I'm on PC driver 381 and CSWv2 wheel base firmware 680, will i need this latest driver update for my new McLaren V2 when it arrives? I'm more than happy with my current driver and don't want to update unless it is necessary!

• Awesome mate thanks. Now just got to keep waiting for pre orders to get released.

• An update on the progress to fixing wheel base jolts should really happen at this point.

Are you guys still working on it? Are you making any progress?

• I send an email to Dominic, Marcel and Thomas a few weeks ago... i literally got one reply from Dominic

I understand your concern but we can't offer you additional information at this time.

We are not ignoring the question - the information you have is the current status. When there is something new to share about this topic we will let you know. It is a very complex task to address, and forms part of a broader rewrite of the entire firmware stack. This is not related to the development of the Firmware Manager in the driver.

This comes down to what @Gary Johnston also mentioned above and that it's highly likely that they don't have a clue on how to fix it in the current state it's in and we as customers can only hope that it is fixed somewhere between now and Christmas but we don't mention the year for a reason ;)

I replied to Dominic after the answer i got from him above and in the meantime i got my appendix removed, rebuild my entire rig and summer arrived here in the Netherlands but i never heard anything back from one of them since. So i think we will get rid of the global Covid pandemic sooner then having some proper functioning firmware for the Podium wheelbases.

Maybe we could all return our DD1 and DD2's back to Fanatec since the product doesn't function as advertised and they are clearly not capable (at least not since the release) enough to fix those issues that it becomes 'non conformity'.

I already thought about selling the DD2 but besides i'm not willing to take a loss on a product that doesn't works as advertised i would also saddle up someone else with the issue. So instead i'll just keep te DD2 so i have a reason to keep nagging about it on these forums and make people aware of the fact that Fanatec makes great hardware but it lacks on the software / firmware part.

• Guys, I know we all want a quick fix. I do too. But if they really are doing a full rewrite of the FW stack, it makes sense why we wouldn't be seeing the typical frequency of FW updates. I sincerely hope this is what's going on in the background, and I'll gladly wait for it if that's the case.

Having been in this position before, I can attest at how powerful a clean-sheet, complete re-write of low-level code like this can be. If that is in fact what they're doing it could make our wheelbases far better than we've ever hoped them to be.

Admittedly 100% pure speculation on my part, but one can hope at least.

• Lol, this is what a got from support when i asked what is happening with the jolts and any update whatsoever:

Hello Tomaz,

thank you for having contacted us. So fare, we do not have any report about a jolts bug in the firmware included in driver 402. At least. 

Would you provide more information about your problem please? 

Best regards / Freundliche GrüßeFareed

(Fanatec Support Team)

• Tomaz HocevarTomaz Hocevar Member
    edited June 2021

Michael, jolts are present for a year and a half now... No wonder more and more people are moving to Simcube. I'm also tired of waiting for anything and this was the last drop. Just ordered a simcube today. I have DD2 since day one. Nothing but bugs delays and promises.

• I found a bug when you mount Formula v2 wheel, shifter2 port inverts. Up is down and down is up. They said that this needds to be fixed asap and will be fixed in the next firmware release. It's been 2 and a half year now and it's still not fixed.

• Yeah I have jolts with 402 as well (Fanatec logo of course). They're far more rare then they used to be at least.

• I am getting missed inputs on the thumb encoders on my 2018 LE Formula v2 on this driver package. I updated the driver, CSL elite + base and the steering wheel.

Previously I was using the complete driver package v328 and on that the formula v2 was on: RFORMV2 : RFORMv2_V22_rev72_app, and all the thumb encoders worked perfectly, never missing an input.

• Does anyone else have an issue where they need to go into the wheel properties page every time they turn on the wheelbase and "re-learn" the pedals (press them as far as they'll go)? I use the F1 esport wheel as well so I have to do this to the joystick button too.

If I don't, F1 inputs either don't work or I instantly get max braking pressure when I tap the pedal.

CSL elite ps4 w F1 esport wheel

• When you run the pedals in Automatic mode then yes, thats the intended behaviour.

Only in manual pedal mode you do not have to re-learn the pedal axis.

• edited June 2021

How wonderful.. What pro programmers..

In the middle of a race, f*ckatec updater pops up messing it up.

Glad I did'nt singn up for 24hr gold EU race. I would probably smash my PC,

and lose rest of my sanity

Look at my ranked thank you very much

• James WoodsJames Woods Member
    edited June 2021

So....the question is.....Should anyone buy a DD1? I have been wanting to upgrade to DD, and currently use a CSW 2.5, but if they are still working out bugs after all this time.....I'm a little hesitant. I have V3 pedals, multiple steering wheels, etc. so I would rather stay in the ecosystem. I am not interested in the CSL DD.

• stay where you are, csw2.5, if you want dd1 instead ......... pray

• Thanks, yeah....I'm thinking simcube if I go the DD route. Just saw I can get conversion kits for my existing wheels, so that might be the better option.

This discussion has been closed.