Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• Maurice, why don't you respond to users who ask for info on jolts or the inability to use itm? But I would like serious answers ....... too easy to keep quiet, it doesn't seem very professional, I think it is right to answer customers

• ok thx. i uppdated it even know i had no issues with 401 ever since.

• edited July 2021

Because I am not working for Fanatec in the responsible department so its not my job to answer those questions.

• ok ah ok sorry x frankness but I wanted to understand

• Like a lot of people want to understand what's going on when it comes to development. But don't expect anything from Fanatec, not an answer, not a roadmap or anything that comes close to a solution on fixing the issues that are open for more than 2 years.

Fanatec just tries to ignore any question regarding this topic or comes up with the answer that "they are aware of these issues and are working on a solution but *bladiebladiebla-insert-some-excuses-over-here-bladiebladiebla*".

Thing is, we should have the QR2 and BMW wheel by now, they where announced for Q2 this year and for one or another reason there still hasn't been much info on them and it has been more than half a year since we had the last driver / software update... makes you wonder how big that clusterfück is on that department inside Fanatec.

• Hi Fanatec,

Does the new firmware tool check for new firmware versions online? Or just what's in the package for firmwares like we had with older versions? And finds a new version locally which comes with the drivers?

On F1 2021 there is a issue with the APM on PS5, where not all the paddles are recognized, Codemasters asks to update firmware, and I am on Firmware 402 for quite a while, there's no specific updates for F1 2021 right? It should have some comapitbility like F1 2020 and you SDK right?

Regards,

Edward

• edited July 2021

Which new Firmware Tool? You mean the Firmware Manager of drivers 400+? No. It only checks if you have at least the Firmware flashed which is available in that driver package. It still does not search for new versions online.

The issue with not recognised upoper APM paddles on Playstation is a known issue which should be fixed with the next driver coming sometime this year.

• Hi Maurice,

Yes I mean the firmware manager, yeah exactly what I meant indeed.

That's clear!

It worked on F1 2020 on PS5 it should actually also work with the new game would be my assumption, nothing major changed on part of the support for these specific wheels, for the last two years at least.

• I don't know if it's the same issue DD1 and DD2 user have but the CSL Elite V1.1 sometimes gives a hard FFB knock when you drive trough slow corners. It is not repeatable and complete random. First i tough it was my broken base but with the new one i got the exact same behavior and it doesn't matter which firmware version i use.

Also on the 4xx versions the funky switch rotery on my Formula Carbon is unusable. You have rotate the switch extremly slow to get the rotation registered.

I hope a fix for both comes with the next firmware but i have really little hope, when i'm honest.

• My DD2 is also getting those odd out of the ordinary and random knocks also on F1 2020 and especially more on F1 2021. I found its better on 402 and this is on a xbox series x, but its still random.

• Hi Fanatec,

Just wondering, is there a newer steeringwheel firmware available which is shipped with the new LE F1 2021 wheels? i.e. is this newer that any firmware released with the 402 driver package? If so can you share a link for this?

• Ok, thanks Maurice! Still figuring out why the upper paddles of the APM aren't recognized in F1 2021.

Going to do a reflash of my wheel tonight and double check everything.

• edited July 2021

As I said, there is a general issue that upper APM Paddles are not properly recognized on Playstation.

It's a base firmware issue, not a Wheel firmware issue.

On top of that it might also be a game issue when it worked in F1 2020 but not in 2021 anymore, then there is nothing Fanatec can do, then it would be up.to Codemasters to fix that.

• Hi Maurice,

I will do some testing, maybe I need to check older base firmware for the DD1.

To which bases does this issue apply? All CSL and DD?

Do you know from which base firmware version this was introduced? So I could roll back a firmware version for the base and test it out?

What I find interesting is that it is recognized in F1 2020 ( Both PS4 and PS5 ) and works perfectly fine, and with F1 2021 it's not recognized anymore, so my first expectation is that there is something missing in F1 2021 ( I filed a bug for this with codies ).

I also know from at least one person ( double checking if this is 100% correct ) with the new LE F1 2021 wheel and CSL base that the flippers do work and he selected the V2 wheel in F1 2021 game, so maybe it is an issue coming from my base having a too new firmware for the game ( to me a bit unlikely ) and wheel combination.

I have done a complete reinstallation when I got my PS5 didn't copy any data over, fresh new game install, and didn't do any updates on firmware eversince ( there were no new updates ) and the upper padles were recognized properly in F1 2020 on PS5.

Does it make sense from these things that this indeed is an issue on codemasters side in F1 2021?

• Hi Maurice,

The F1 2021 wheel comes with version 41 of the wheel and not 40.

• Interesting, that's a not-yet-released new Firmware, coming in the next driver update...

• edited July 2021

Yes interesting.

Can't we get this specific firmware as a separate download? Unless there will be a new driver soon off course?

If this fixes issues with the F1 2021 everyone with podium wheels F1 apm etc. Or upgraded the V2 etc. with APM should not need to wait that long to use the hardware properly and get this update, it works fine with the 402 driver.

It's worth checking and testing this, doesn't look like this isn't a ready firmware

• This firmware does not fix any button mapping issues. As I already wrote, the upper APM Paddles not being properly recognized is a BASE Firmware issue.

There wont be any Firmware available separately.

Everyone has to wait for the next driver.

The v41 Doesnt fix anything Major anyway.

• @Maurice

Hello,

I am the guy who provided the picture of the F1 2021 wheel with firmware 41

thanks for clearing things up about the base firmware causing the problem.

I can confirm that the upper APM Paddles work in F1 2021 with my setup

PS4

Driver firmware 402

CSL E Base PS4 : v684

CSL/CSW Motor : v22

F! 2021 Limited Edition Wheel : v41

• edited July 2021

Hi Maurice,

I know you mentioned this before, and like to understand these things better.

Why is this a base issue? I like to understand why you think this is? Since this worked perfectly fine with same PS5 on F1 2020, in F1 2021 this is a base issue? that doesn't make any sense to me, if I can get some idea on why? that would clear thins up a lot.

I guess both Fanatec testing and Codemasters are both looking into this, and not pointing a finger at eachother? And to me this sounds like a bug in F1 2021 since it did work fine, nothing changed on that end.

With so many sold F1 2021 LE wheels, and the percentage using this wheel with a PS5 and a BASE is quite high, I think we may expect this to be fixed soon right? Basically people have half functioning products now, with things which need to be addressed.

• edited July 2021

Fixed and soon in one sentence, I wouldn’t put my hopes on it. Last update was half a year ago (which introduced some new bugs) and Podium users are waiting for almost 2 years to get things fixed so you do the math ;-)

• edited July 2021

I'm having this exact same issue. Updated yesterday to 684 and now when I turn left 90°, it shows around 78, 79° on the driver page. Any fix or I'll have to revert to old firmware? (CSL 2.5 wheelbase and McLaren wheel)

• No fix yet. You have to downgrade back to the old Firmware included in driver 381.

• Steven HallSteven Hall Member
    edited July 2021

CSL Elite Wheel Base +, P1 Wheel

Driver 402, WB Firmware 684, Motor FW 22.

wheel rotation at 180 reads 162 all in-game wheel animations are off.

Been using this Driver since it came out but only noticed this today

I usually drive with the wheel animation off so only noticed as I am trying RaceRoom. Tests on AC, ACC, AMS2 and RR. All are wrong.

I see my option is to go to v381 until fixed. I will give it a try to see how much of an issue it is.

Only posted to register the issue - I see others are having the same.

• So I need to uninstall the new driver and install the old one in order to downgrade the firmware or can I mantain the same driver and only downgrade the firmware manually?

• Raceroom sterring (with wheel showing and drivers hands) always show wrong.

Test in the other sim title.

• Any news on Windows 11 support with this or future 403 beta.?

I'm testing it on a dual boot windows 10/11 [latest Insider Preview Build 22000.71] and having issues in Project Cars 2 axis binding.

• I got it fixed with a full left/right rotation. I have to do the same in AMS 2 to get the wheel recognised.

Not a real issue in my opinion.

• Neil ReubenNeil Reuben Member
    edited July 2021

I’m running FW 680 Formula V2 wheel fw 36 (38? Hard to read) on CSW v2 PS4 (using drive hub). APM works fine in F1 2021. Looks like APM issue is specific to the PS5. From posts on CM forum its the PS5 version of 2021 only not PS4 version running in PS4 compatible mode. PS5 version of SDK (if its different from PS4) or CM code for PS5 version is suspect, not the wheel / bases. Without another PS5 game developer using the same SDK can’t tell which.

This discussion has been closed.