Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• thanks Sascha

• Wow, that is a long time between versions!

• Wow. I think this driver killed my PS4 CSL ELITE wheel. Something about failed to extract hex or something similar and erasing flash. After getting that message my wheel's LEDS starting flashing red and blue for more than 10 minutes before I decided to unplug power from it. After that nothing. Now when I press the power button it immediately turns off. I hold the power button and I get nothing but the fan at full speed. Not happy about this. I really hope support helps me fix this.

• September indeed sounds like a long wait... Personally Im still on the old FW as almost all the ones after gave my DD1 jolts even on the logo screen and its a really scary feeling, not happy about this but as long as I can use the old FW its OK, even though it would be nice to be able to use the new drivers.

One issue though, if I were to buy one of the new rims, the V2 Mclaren or Bentley or M4, will those need the new FW/Driver?

• Of course new wheels need new drivers and new firmwares, otherwise the Base cant know what wheel you have attached.

• maurice can we hope for a solution to the problems?

• Wonderful, so this probably means the jolts and other open issues on the DD1/2 are going to celebrate their two year anniversary?

And for one or another reason i have the idea that current users don’t have to expect anything from those update either because the focus probably is fully on those new products instead of fixing open issues.

• Had the same problem about 6 months ago or more, send the base back and the support will probably send you a brand new base, at least this hapenned with me!

• Agree, if they were working on the jolts and had a solution you would not think they would wait for another few months to release it.

• Maybe there will eventually be jolts on CSL DD too and there will be a bigger incentive to fix it before releasing even more shiny new things :)

• "And for one or another reason i have the idea that current users don’t have to expect anything from those update either because the focus probably is fully on those new products instead of fixing open issues." I have been patient until now and I will still wait until September, if the situation is not resolved I will start the return procedure, as the purchased product does not meet the declared specifications

• Maybe start looking for the box to ship it back then 😂

Bad joke I know but I wouldn’t put my hopes on it is going to be fixed in September.

• i was play with f1 2019 somehow my wheel disconnect quick on and freezer

i been try to fix but nothing work till i download 346 it all not work my wheel keep crash when i play

i need help because they screw up my worth wheel game i bring 1,600 for nothing!

• When you say the "product doesn't meet the declared specifications", what are you referring to?

• I think he is referring to to the use of ITM and data readouts on the wheelbase screen - these were, until recently, included in the specification lists as useful innovative features. Now the specification includes a warning that they cannot be used when racing because they lead to malfunction. Fanatec have not been able to fix this through firmware updates which leads me and others to believe that there is not sufficient processor headroom to process this information in real time. No official confirmation on this of course...

• Im 100% sure I had a jolt even on the logo screen when I tested some of the new FW last year. I used to work in development and find it hard to believe they cant find the source of this behaviour, even if it means having "test users" install some sort of tracing/debug on their base/driver to detect jolts etc. Im fine using the old ones, it just means I wont buy the new Fanatec rims, more money saved for me... but putting these new drivers out on the product page as official release is a bit odd tbh.

• edited July 2021

Jolts are happening definitely in default (fanatec logo) screen too. And they are independent of the attached rim (bmw gt2, mclaren v2, podium porsche) and no matter using or not fanalab.

I have gave up on hoping for fix. And I think that the only explanation for not able to fix for such long time is that it is something on the hardware level.

• Funny you should say that, as I tried to use the other screens and it now faults with a blank screen. So it is useless now!

I also spoke to Support about jolts and they told me to try the Fanatec suggested tuning settings. This didn't make much difference though. They said with the jolts that I'm getting when switching the base on and off they are hoping for an update driver soon. Mine is out of warranty now, but I'll wait an update, but otherwise I'll return it as per Reind's post "not functioning as per intended use/specifications". We should be able to get refund for this reason, as the design is faulty or flawed under consumer law.

• Anyway,

I dont really understand why with new driver the calibration is incorrect.

If I do the wheel center calibration and physically rotate the steering wheel 90 degrees, in the Fanatec wheel property page it indicates 86-87 °.

I've got the issue with my CSW 2.5 and my friend with CSL Elite.

Is it normal?

• yes thats normal (but a bug).

You need to stay on driver 381 with old Firmware until the next driver fixes that issue.

Alternatively there is a workaround by adjusting SEN in FanaLab once - this will already fix the issue forever.

Not working on CSL Elite Bases which dont support Tuning Menu in Software though.

• Does anyway rollback to 389? Does 389 support new McLaren GT3 wheel?

• There is no 389.

There is only a 381 and yes that one Supports the McLv2 already.

• My mistake. I mean 381 — can I rollback firmware?

• Wheel Base Model (product ID): CSL Elite PS4
    • Steering Wheel Model (product ID): CSL Steering Wheel P1 for PS4
    • Driver Version: v401
    • Base FW Version: v684
    • Motor FW Version: v22

Unique issues I have found with these driver versions when using it on PS4 and PS5:

1. Been actually before this newest version, that WRC offical games doesn't generate any force feedback at all, have tested it WRC9, WRC8 and WRC7. Only vibration is active on steering wheel. Also this problem is apperaing to other CSL Elite PS4 users in my community too.
    2. In Gran Turismo Sport steering wheel rapidly keeps going into steering lock when entering Pit Lane.

And this is all, been solid firware overall, just i wish WRC will work properly again, WRC 10 is near and with home Estonian rally there too - not preordering WRC game because that very issue i mentioned because cant be sure, will my steering wheel work properly there.

• I have the same problem with the jolts also in the Fanatec Logo screen. They seem being more prominent in the newer FW versions, so I went back to 381 which has the least problems for me.

Second is the difference in diameter of the Quick Releases I use. One is tight and has good connection to the base but two others are way more loose and they have not so good connection to the base, so I have a wobbly feeling each turn. Hopefully this will not lead to problems with the connector pins on the wheel side or base side. Fanatec should have developed a more solid centering ring for the QR instead of the rubber bumper solution.

• 402 is any different than 401?

• Not really, only minor difference.

Yet its still better to use 402 and not 400 or 401.

This discussion has been closed.