Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

It's a black and white screen and can't show colors.

• Can you expand on they list two drivers? How do users know which to download? There is no explanation on the product pages. If users revert to the forum for more information they find the later one in the beta forum. Don't you think this will lead to a belief that it is indeed a beta?

• 381 is the latest fully stable driver. If someone Doesnt like the driver he can use the previous fully stable driver 346 which is only there as a fallback option.

Still, both are fully stable and official drivers and not beta by any means.

• Going to add a full new report here since this is still an on-going and annoying problem:

• Wheel Base Model (product ID): CSW v2.5
    • Steering Wheel Model (product ID): Formula v2
    • Driver Version: v399
    • Base FW Version: v684
    • Motor FW Version: v22
    • Wheel FW Version: v40

Notching still appears on MFW v22 once a drive has been completed across both ACC/AC (don't play anything else to be able to test). Confirmed a power cycle removes the notching. I haven't tested downgrading to v20 this time (it removed the notching issue on previous drivers) because it's becoming a faff. It has always fixed the issue though in the past.

• If you experience this issue then you still need to downgrade to Motor Firmware 20 until the issue is fixed with a new Motor Firmware and listed in a driver Changelog.

• The problem is, that I have reported this since v372, and others had reported it earlier. It used to be listed as a known issue, and I've repeatedly asked for updates. I appreciate that it is possibly a hard thing to pin down, and I'm not annoyed that there is no fix yet, I'm annoyed that it get's dropped off the known issue list, and my requests for an update go ignored (in at least the past two threads).

The FF feels much better and more detailed on v22, which is why I don't want to downgrade. At the end of the day, these problems should not be included on a potential release candidate driver. If the problem exists and can't be fixed, than a release candidate should come packaged with the rolled back v20 firmware. Otherwise, what is the point of us helping to report these issues as you've clearly pointed out already in this thread to others.

I appreciate that these problems are sometimes difficult to rectify, and I do, sincerely appeaciate peoples time and effort in attempting to fix them (I know tone can be hard to convey over forums, so wanted to add this disclaimer at the end :D )

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

Please put the log files from the following folder into a zip file and send them to me: C:\Users\Public\Fanatec Logs

• while we tend to disagree regarding most topics I agree that we definitely need a statement rather soon.

• Ok guys great news!

With Driver v400, no issues! No shut-down in game and no freeze too.

You were probably right that the drivers were not the cause.

For me, it could be 2 things:

• Reflash the WQR V6 in V381
    • Check the USB Cable: Change the usb port, favor the motherboard IO instead of the PC Case's port, or buy a new USB Cable

Hope that this can help some of you having freeze/shuts down issues! :)

• DD1

Podium button module

Clubsport hub

Fanalab

All software and drivers are up to date as of yesterday using most recent firmware manager

Button module shows *some* stats but does not show others such as laps, car ahead/behind in iRacing. 

Is this a known issue?

• Please have a look at the ITM FEATURE PDF File which you have downloaded with Fanalab. There you can see which ITM values are supported by which game. And there you see that iRacing Telemetry is VERY limited and that things like car ahead and behind are simply not supported by that game though Shared Memory Telemetry Output.

• Got it. I'll check it out, thanks.

• Managed to get some time to try this out tonight.

I downgraded the wheelbase using v381 and then upgraded it with v400 plus the shifter was plugged into the wheelbase instead of the USB adapter. This time after the wheelbase firmware update, the updater took me through centre calibration, then shifter calibration successfully. the wheel settings were restored successfully too.

Not sure if I've done the exact steps you wanted or not but seems like a better outcome with the settings being restored?

thanks

• You did it exactly like I wanted, thank you for testing!

• edited January 2021

this is just ridiculous , It cant be that hard to test your drivers before you release it.

Csl Elite + the wheel angle is off if you put the sense to 1080 and you turn it 90 degres it says 77 degres in both directions. I´m so dissappointed from your drivers. I`m seriously asking myself if I should ever buy a DD 1/2 if you just mess up your drivers almost everytime.

• please watch your language, do you have screenshot of the issue?

• Yep sorry, I was a bit in rage bc this driver install and deinstall is a bit annoying.

No I dont have a picture but I found out that it must be the base firmware 684 , that gives the false degres.

with 680 its ok.

• It's indeed a known issue of the new firmware for the CSL Elite Base and will hopefully be fixed in the next driver with a new firmware.

• If i use this update and open the Fanatec wheel settings it will tell me i can update my csw2.5 with newer firmware, after clicking ok the screen disappears and nothing happens.

The new firmware manager is also not installed.

When i open the settings again, again i will receive the message that i can update.

Already tried to remove and reinstall the software, but always the same.

• True that!

First pages there where already a bunch of people with issues and for some users that aren't as experienced as other i think that's a pretty good reason to wait with upgrading until the dust has settled a bit. Normally i update my stuff as soon as there is an update available but i also stayed at V381 for the moment since the "changes" don't have a big effect on the stuff i'm using and i really think that fixing issues that are out there for a longer period should have priority above releasing a new "update manager".

As a developer i learned one important thing, don't build big new things when you have a backlog with serious issues because it will only make it harder to fix those issues.

• edited January 2021

To be honest, i really think Fanatec should prioritize these things better. The jolts issue is out there since September 2019, thats almost 1.5 year without any known progress on it. In the mean time there have been a lot of driver / firmware updates and NONE, ZERO, NADA, NOTHING of them had any attempt to fix the issue. And keeping it on a backlog isn't the same as "we are working our asses off tho get this fixed because boy we made miss somewhere we need to correct asap".

And to make it even "funnier" this is what Fanatec says on the product page about the display

OLED DISPLAY

At the front of the housing sits an OLED display. This provides endless opportunities not only for tuning your wheel base, but also includes features for advanced users, displaying real-time motor and force feedback data. Check the temperatures, torque curves, and avoid force feedback clipping. Too complicated? Just enjoy the graphics. 

If you actually use those features it will influence the behaviour of the motor in a negative way (it will rip your thumbs of if you are unlucky during a race) so please explain why people who payed something between 1200 and 1500 euro's for a Direct Drive wheelbase shouldn't be having the idea that Fanatec isn't very eager to fix the issue since it is already going on for 1.5 year and absolutely zero progress seems to be made.

Not sure what they give you people to keep it defending it but in my opinion flagship models that have those kind of issues aren't very good advertisement for the brand and it's products.

So any transparency and progress on how it is going to be fixed would be nice. Else i would rather send the whole stuff back because of non conformity and jump on the SimeCube bandwagon. The whole "we are working on it" and keeping it in the middle is getting a bad excuse to be honest and we didn't even started about the whole motor calibration yet ...

• I agree with the first part and I also agree that a clear statement about the current progress made to fix the main issue of the DDs is long overdue.

"zero progress seems to be made" again, only assumptions you, me and others can make until we get a clear statement.

Where do I defend Fanatec? It's just my opinion, and every opinion differs.

• edited January 2021

Where you defend Fanatec, maybe defending wasn't the right wording for it but sentences like this always makes me think someone is trying to play things down,

I get the feeling you seriously think Fanatec doesn't want to solve the jolts.

And about the zero progress made, well i got an message from Marcel last night,

We are looking into it again, last year we could solve the jolts which happened also on the default screen, now we try to solve the ones on the more dynamic screens. It might need re-writing big parts and it needs a lot of testing, that's why I can't give any time line yet.

Another one from Maurice last week,

Jolts are a topic which is being investigated throughout this year, there is no solution for them atm and a fix is unfortunately not coming in the very near future, this will still take some months. But his issue is definetely not forgotten!

To me this feels like "yeah we looked into it last year and we took a shortcut for a quick fix, put it on the backlog and we came across it lately and realized we should look at it again. But it still looks as hard to fix it when we left it last time". And that it's not forgotten... no because of some people who are referring to it every release of new drivers but in the meantime this issue is out there for 1.5 year and besides fixing the jolts on the main screen no solution or clarification other then mentioning the sentence "Jolts on DD bases can happen when using ITM" when new beta drivers / firmware are released.

To me that is zero or at least very very very little progress (especially if you take the "investigation" part, not sure but after one and a half year the problem should be very clear, if not i don't have much faith that it will be found in the coming 1.5 year).

If it takes another few months this issue will celebrate it's second birthday, maybe we should celebrate it! Not sure how you think about that but to me (how can i say this a bit political correct) that isn't something Fanatec should be proud of. Especially since it is an issue that affects their flagship models, bases that should reflect the paragraph that is on the homepage of the website,

REALISTIC SIMULATION HARDWARE

Enthusiast-grade equipment, built by sim racers, for sim racers. Designed and engineered in Germany, Fanatec racing simulation hardware is built to the highest standards so that you can perform at your best. It’s time to stop playing with toys.

Time to step up the game and get things done if you ask me! Else every DD owner has the Fanatec logo burned into his oled screen when the fix comes and we have to send it back for repair because we can't enjoy the ITM screens 😉

• edited January 2021

Guys sorry to jump in not being a technical guy but in my DD base after I bought a PC (previously was on PS so no ITM and only legacy mode) I have never had a jolt or freeze or anything. And I am running the ITM all the time ,through Fanalab using Maurice's profiles because I haven't found a way how to stay on the logo screen (every time I change after a lap or earlier changes pack to ITM.

So the jolts or freezes maybe are only related to the other info that appear on the base OLED such as forces of the FFB graph, base tem, fan speed (base monitoring tools) and not ITM.

• Actually no, Jolts also happen on ITM screens.

BTW, to disable ITM auto-page-switch functionality to stay on FANATEC screen you need to disable all the green auto-page-switch Icons in the ITM Tab, then disable ITM completely and save the profile again.

• Thanks man try and see how it is done. To tell you the truth have caught my self looking at them once or max twice during a 2 hour race.

But again. So far I have 0 freeze or 0 hint of a jolt (touch wood) in ACC or RR

• Hi,

Sorry if the question has already been asked.

I have CSW V2.5 Base, Formula V2 and CS Pedals V3.

For the CS Pedals V3, everyhting is ok. But the for the CSW and Formula V2, i can't upadte firmware. When i launch the game controler panel, it asks me to launch the update. I click on "yes" but nothing happens.

Any idea?

Thanks

• Marcel Pfister and Maurice Böschen

Nothing major but noticed that 400 zip is already in the webshop under the new CSL Hub downloads.

The file has inside the pdf manual for Driver Firmware Instructions Manual which is for the old style Firmware manager.

New users that don't read the forum might get confused since what they see in the screen and what they read in the manual don't match.

• Update from 381 to 400. No problem with the driver Installation, all gear run fine.

DD1 - OK, 918 RSR -OK, Clubsport v2-ok, Shifter - ok, updated the v3 pedalls as well, fanalab works as well.

Good job on the new firmware update page.

@ Maurice do you still need to erase motor calibration after intallation?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.