Delivery of the Podium Wheel Bases UPDATE2

Comments

• 70 days left. The longest wait ever:)
    The terrible thing about waiting, we even cant be sure if 30.4 is final date.
    For next postpone, this time please don't wait till 2 days before shipping date.
  • Yeah, but I thing this waiting is so worth it...
  • The wait is really very long.
    I hope that the product will really live up to our expectations. We have still advanced money for a very long time now and I would like to see more information about development.
    We expect any information on the progress of its development and apart from that it is "for now" in the right direction, we have nothing. Come on Fanatec, give us more info and reassure us;)
    For next postpone, this time please don't wait till 2 days before shipping date.
    Agreed! Normally "No news is good news" applies, but after last time.... would be a disaster if they did that again. Thats why so many people would just like an update (good or bad), and not find out at the very last minute after months of waiting that they still can't have their product. 
    I'm still staying positive that they can deliver this time round!!

• I have been trying to contact with the webshop, but I have no answer. I tried contact them through the order questions in the webpage and sending an email to [email protected]... but I am not getting any answer?...
    Agreed! Normally "No news is good news" applies, but after last time.... would be a disaster if they did that again. Thats why so many people would just like an update (good or bad), and not find out at the very last minute after months of waiting that they still can't have their product. 
    I'm still staying positive that they can deliver this time round!!

To be honest with y'all I couldnt agree more, on both statements above.

But it is a little bit of a nail biting 60 odd days to wait. For those who are waiting for the release date to come around :)]
  • I am really up in the air on pulling out of my pre order. I asked fanatec what was the benefit of the a February pre order (twice) and did not get a response. I could buy a 2.5 base for half the price, or I could buy a osw and convert my wheels for about $200 more. So what is the benefit?
  • See, that's the beauty of choice

You can either wait for April and get a Podium Wheel base that:

- Has a Motor that is designed for the purpose
    - Is fully certified in regards to EMI etc
    - Is tuned and programmed by a company that has a lot of experience with FFB Wheels
    - Seamlessly supports a wide range of Steering wheels
    - Has no Cable between the wheel and the PC/Base

Or, you can get something like OSW/Accuforce that:

- Is well-tested and established
    - Works well
    - Is probably a slightly less seamless experience
    - Has a Cable between the wheel and the PC/Base
    - Has more options for motors, but difference between peak and sustained torque is usually larger

I haven't heard anyone claim that the Podium system is revolutionary. It's just Fanatec's vision of how DD should be done. It looks like it's going to be incredibly good, but I doubt a high-end OSW is significantly better or worse.

So just pick what you prefer!

I, for one, am happy with my choice, as I don't want to fiddle too much and can't stand the thought of a wire between the steering wheel and the base. Only you yourself can say what arguments weigh more for you
  • See, that's the beauty of choice

You can either wait for April and get a Podium Wheel base that:

- Has a Motor that is designed for the purpose
    - Is fully certified in regards to EMI etc
    - Is tuned and programmed by a company that has a lot of experience with FFB Wheels
    - Seamlessly supports a wide range of Steering wheels
    - Has no Cable between the wheel and the PC/Base

Or, you can get something like OSW/Accuforce that:

- Is well-tested and established
    - Works well
    - Is probably a slightly less seamless experience
    - Has a Cable between the wheel and the PC/Base
    - Has more options for motors, but difference between peak and sustained torque is usually larger

I haven't heard anyone claim that the Podium system is revolutionary. It's just Fanatec's vision of how DD should be done. It looks like it's going to be incredibly good, but I doubt a high-end OSW is significantly better or worse.

So just pick what you prefer!

I, for one, am happy with my choice, as I don't want to fiddle too much and can't stand the thought of a wire between the steering wheel and the base. Only you yourself can say what arguments weigh more for you
    A great answer to a very open question, well said!
  • 90 days left :)   lets hope our wheels arrive safely!  
    HORROR ????
  • I want know about perorder the DD1 wheel bases , will I get DD2 motor ?
    Yes
    Yes
    Thank you very much!!!

I play the F1 game only.

I got a  F1 2018 LE steering wheel that's my first product of Fanatec. Yesterday I per-ordered a DD1 . otherwise about the pedals should I buy V3 or wait for New pedals release ?
  • George LynnGeorge Lynn Member
    edited February 2019
    Watch THIS!

Actually, last year I paid ca.€ 5k to Fanatec, including the DD2 wheelbase. So, I consider myself a "customer".
    We all know what happened to the Podium, and I found my way how to ...survive the news.

Now I see SimracingGirl´s video and a beautifully working Podium DD2 at her new rig!

On one side, this makes me happy. "Someone" on this planet is using it and it seems to work!
    On the other hand, no news to the pre-order people, still waiting for at leasts 2 more months!
    How does this fit together?

I would have preferred to NOT see the DD2; I feel puzzled about the contrary message of this.
    Anything to say about this???
  • edited February 2019
    @Detlef Fegers 

Simple, SimRacingGirl = Fanatec. :-)
  • Would love to get an actual update.
  • Watch THIS!

Actually, last year I paid ca.€ 5k to Fanatec, including the DD2 wheelbase. So, I consider myself a "customer".
    We all know what happened to the Podium, and I found my way how to ...survive the news.

Now I see SimracingGirl´s video and a beautifully working Podium DD2 at her new rig!

On one side, this makes me happy. "Someone" on this planet is using it and it seems to work!
    On the other hand, no news to the pre-order people, still waiting for at leasts 2 more months!
    How does this fit together?

I would have preferred to NOT see the DD2; I feel puzzled about the contrary message of this.
    Anything to say about this???

I hear you, I have been thinking about this too the last few days, I don’t feel its appropriate under the circumstances to have to endure Sim Racing Girl having fun on her dd, while the rest of us wait, having paid our money, and receive no real update on progress. I’m sure it was not Fanatecs intent, but it rubs me the wrong way. I probably would not have said anything had I not read your comment, as I thought I was being a bit silly thinking this way. Obviously I’m happy that I’m not the only one thinking this. If Sim Racing Girl could produce and informational video on the product... that would be entirely different, but I really don’t see the point of just watching her driving, as in most of her videos... I don’t want to offend her, or her fans, these are just my thoughts and no harm intended.
  • SimRacingGirl works for Fanatec and so will always have access to equipment before the general public - Plenty of people used the DD1/DD2 last year at the Fanatec event in Germany, but still the full production models where delayed.  I understand all the frustration (i have pre-ordered too), but to be even more angry because staff are using them is crazy.  It may even be further testing to ensure all issues have been resolved, who knows.
    Where I do think the anger/frustration is justified is at the lack of updates regarding the issues during the delay period, especially as people have parted with a lot of cash, but nothing can be done about that i guess.
    At least there appears to be a full working model and that surely is a good sign??

• you are right of course, it was however not anger or frustration that staff are using them (that would indeed be crazy, I would hope they are using the sh*# out of them right now), was just a question of whether that was the appropriate kind of video. I suppose I didn't have to watch it either.  Its only because of the lack of updates (as you said) that this was at all an issue in my head. Im actually not angry or frustrated by the delay or anything at all to be honest, but I thought it was an interesting point that Detlef made about not wanting to see the video. 

On the positive side, it is good to see one working, yes! Im sure this was probably Fanatec's way of giving us the much needed update.
  • edited February 2019
    An Assetto Corsa Competizione developer just shown on his instagram a little "unboxing" about the ps4 version of the direct drive base :) we have to wait a little more.

Here you have the link! :D

Edit 2..seems that he removed the Instagram post :(
  • I never understand why people don't post the link of there source :-\"
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

If Sim Racing Girl could produce and informational video on the product... that would be entirely different
    We're working on that too.
  • An Assetto Corsa Competizione developer just shown on his instagram a little "unboxing" about the ps4 version of the direct drive base :) we have to wait a little more.

Here you have the link! :D

Edit 2..seems that he removed the Instagram post :(
    I had seen it, so thank you for that. looks really nice tho and that box well... I expected nothing less good presentation so far from Fanatec. Just need to see the offical unboxing and set up from SRG or other employees, good job.
  • The only SRG reviews I trust come from Barry at the sim racing garage.
  • The only SRG reviews I trust come from Barry at the sim racing garage.                                                                                   

I totally agree with you Alex and his teardown i'll be biting my nails at the edge on my seat watching that 
    B-)

• If Sim Racing Girl could produce and informational video on the product... that would be entirely different
    We're working on that too.
    Sounds great, cheers! 
  • edited February 2019
    Hey Dominic. Seeing as the primary function of the kill switch is safety. Your implying that the base is capable of causing physical damage....correct?
    If so..... with regards to Health and safety regulations shouldn't the Kill switch be included as standard rather than a additional optional extra at cost?
      I think that this class of products are intended for people that understand what the risk is, using this devices.

When you buy osw bases or a drill device you ask the manufacturer how to use your brain ?.

unbelievable.
  • edited February 2019
    Broken fingers and amputated thumbs everywhere :D :D :D
    I can already smell the class action lawsuit. The wheel is to strong it hurt us snowflakes!
    :D
  • @Danilo. Will not bother me about the HSE thing. My DD1 is sold anyway.  Was just a question that needed asking as Fanatec seem to overlook a fair few things.  Lets hope the lawsuits don't arise and Fanatec put in a disclaimer in the instruction manual. 
    The world is a strange place these days, even conkers are banned in uk schools in the uk. HSE madness.